Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Killed a mouse in a trap awhile back and felt like a real prick so I don't do that anymore. I shoo bugs away without killing them or put them outside.
Good for you, that's your style and you should be happy with it. I won't yell at you, condemn you, or call you a pussy for it. I eat meat, and I like it.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Evil Dead

I did a lot of research on this for my book (ANIMAL MOVIES GUIDE), and to me the most valuable resource was the cinematic section of the American Humane Society's website. They don't monitor foreign films, but sometimes they talk about them.

http://www.americanhumane.org/protec...ed-movies.html

I can't watch stuff like Cannibal Holocaust. And I've often wondered if that lizard in Argento's DEEP RED really is peirced by a needle. Sure looks realistic.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/fi...iew.asp?ID=125

And of course, there's the (true) story of at least one horse dying during the remake of My Friend Flicka (just called Flicka).

Staci
facebook.com/staciwilson
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacilayne View Post
I did a lot of research on this for my book (ANIMAL MOVIES GUIDE), and to me the most valuable resource was the cinematic section of the American Humane Society's website. They don't monitor foreign films, but sometimes they talk about them.

http://www.americanhumane.org/protec...ed-movies.html

I can't watch stuff like Cannibal Holocaust. And I've often wondered if that lizard in Argento's DEEP RED really is peirced by a needle. Sure looks realistic.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/fi...iew.asp?ID=125

And of course, there's the (true) story of at least one horse dying during the remake of My Friend Flicka (just called Flicka).

Staci
They provide a LOT of insight to animal treatment in film, I've been there a lot myself. Good link. There are some HORRIBLE things done to animals in films, it's reprehensible how many movies have the "Unacceptable" rating.

Last edited by Despare; 10-07-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

The trip wires they used to use on horses back in the day used to freak me out - epecially that Heston movie Khartoum. Some nasty falls in that..

Got knows what was going on here:

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

No creature (human or animal) should be hurt for film's sake. If you can't get the 'realism" of the scene any other way, then you are lacking in both skill and creativity.

That said. I find the domesticaion of animals more upsetting than the consuming of animals. We have teeth designed for chewing (vegetation) grinding (nuts & seeds) and tearing (flesh). We are desigend to do this.

"Pets" are animals suffering the indignity of not being allowed to behave like animals.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post

"Pets" are animals suffering the indignity of not being allowed to behave like animals.
But isn't the domestication of 'livestock' depriving those animals their freedom to be animals too..I really don't hink a veal crate is where any animal should naturally end up..
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

Killed a mouse in a trap awhile back and felt like a real prick so I don't do that anymore. I shoo bugs away without killing them or put them outside.

I'm the same way.....untill recently....I have a mouse in the house and it's got my wife really freaked out. I've tried "humane" traps but so far no good. I have two dogs who are useless...one will sit and bark at the wall and the other will run around in circles and piss on the floor. If not for the dogs I would consider getting a cat. But the wife is so freaked, that I think it's having an effect on my sex life....THAT WILL NOT DO. So I got me some traps....KILLER TRAPS. Not those foolish sticky ones...now those are inhumane..poor little guy gets stuck and bites his leg off trying to free himself. No.....I got the one that will break their necks.....fast and effective. I'm not happy about it.....but if it's between getting laid or getting rid of the mouse......sorry Mickey.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I'm the same way.....untill recently....I have a mouse in the house and it's got my wife really freaked out. I've tried "humane" traps but so far no good. I have two dogs who are useless...one will sit and bark at the wall and the other will run around in circles and piss on the floor. If not for the dogs I would consider getting a cat. But the wife is so freaked, that I think it's having an effect on my sex life....THAT WILL NOT DO. So I got me some traps....KILLER TRAPS. Not those foolish sticky ones...now those are inhumane..poor little guy gets stuck and bites his leg off trying to free himself. No.....I got the one that will break their necks.....fast and effective. I'm not happy about it.....but if it's between getting laid or getting rid of the mouse......sorry Mickey.
I had a mouse this year, and my cat cuddled up with it. I caught it in a plastic cup and tossed it into the woods. Haven't had to use a killing trap yet.

Interesting point on domestication Rod, but do you think animals can have a sense of dignity? I think it's more of a concept and I highly doubt a dog or cat (or even a pig or horse) could understand or grasp that concept. I was reading about the domestication of dogs and cats the other day and really, it was the animals that basically chose to be domesticated through accepting the scraps of hunters, following them around, and helping to guard their camps. Cats are a completely different story and are more true to their ancestors. I won't bore everybody with all the details (check into "Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything ") as it's a GREAT read) but I think domestication has benefited certain creatures.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Yeah, that's bigger than just asian countries...seriously, there's a lot of folks in the Western world that consider their "pets" as little more than roaming property, keep them outside all the time regardless of weather.
My dog is my property. I own it. It isn't free to do as it wishes. so what? My dog stays out side all the time if it rains it can crawl under the house. I think its dirty to let a dog into the house.Animals aren't the same as humans. get over it.
Quote:
Yeh shit like that has me shaking my head. How fuckin' blind to reality can you be.

Its like the "humanly slaughtered" thing. There's no such thing no matter how people sugarcoat it.
Ok Mr Facetious...
Thats super cool. Do you own a car? If so what about all the polar bears you kill, when your car releases all that co2 and causes global warming? Do you live in a house? If so what about all the animals who have lost their habit and there have died because you don't want to live in a cave? What about clothes. producing the clothes you wear kills a lot of animals. what with habitat destruction and so forth. Not to mention all the animals that die producing your food. ( yes even vegtables cause the death of animals).
Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufongtan. View Post
My dog is my property. I own it. It isn't free to do as it wishes. so what? My dog stays out side all the time if it rains it can crawl under the house. I think its dirty to let a dog into the house.Animals aren't the same as humans. get over it.
The dog isn't dirty if you take care of it. I hope animal control takes your dog away, besides, if what you post on here is any reflection of your intelligence then you're not smart enough to have a pet.