Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Tenant

Inglorious Basterds (2009)

Fortunately, Tarantino's newest film is about so much more than what its marketing might suggest. In fact, the "basterds" play only a small part in this beautiful orchestration; the original working title- 'Once Upon a Time in Nazi-occupied France'- suits it much better. It's less about any specific characters (no, Brad Pitt is NOT the show stealer here) and more about the character of mass disorganization and widespread wartime chaos. Comparatively, this is a huge canvas for this director; considering his films usually contain themselves in one compact setting, and sometimes even one room, World War II is quite the undertaking. Thankfully he does it uniquely and makes the subject matter his own- though not obnoxiously so. Since his last project, the borderline self-parody that was 'Death Proof', he has gotten his dialogue back under control and I daresay he's even bettered it. It does help to have such a magnificent cast reciting it, and if the Academy is worth a damn Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger will recieve Oscar nominations when the time comes. Perhaps best of all are the gloriously executed references and nostalgic nods to the cinema of the past, from Chaplin to De Palma, 'King Kong' to his own 'Pulp Fiction'; these are in-jokes, but they aren't pompous; unstead they, like the film itself, are a loving melting pot of all that is great about film.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Tu£sday (2008)

Time passing decent Brit comedy thriller about three different groups of criminals robbing the same bank on the very same day.

>>: B-
Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Shorts

kid film by rodriguez (who seems to alternate his movies that way .. )adult/kid/adult/kid

it made us laugh a few times .. painful in spots - pretty funny in others
Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Bad Natured

[REC]. After seeing the remake, it was hard to believe that the original could be any better. It was. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Heaven for the climate

The Red Shoes: It's a Korean horror film about this woman who's husband is cheating on her so she moves out with her daughter. She find's these red shoes that compel people to wear them, they act like it's the one ring. But every time someone wears them it means doom! DOOOOM!

It was pretty cool.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post

Fortunately, Tarantino's newest film is about so much more than what its marketing might suggest. In fact, the "basterds" play only a small part in this beautiful orchestration; the original working title- 'Once Upon a Time in Nazi-occupied France'- suits it much better. It's less about any specific characters (no, Brad Pitt is NOT the show stealer here) and more about the character of mass disorganization and widespread wartime chaos. Comparatively, this is a huge canvas for this director; considering his films usually contain themselves in one compact setting, and sometimes even one room, World War II is quite the undertaking. Thankfully he does it uniquely and makes the subject matter his own- though not obnoxiously so. Since his last project, the borderline self-parody that was 'Death Proof', he has gotten his dialogue back under control and I daresay he's even bettered it. It does help to have such a magnificent cast reciting it, and if the Academy is worth a damn Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger will recieve Oscar nominations when the time comes. Perhaps best of all are the gloriously executed references and nostalgic nods to the cinema of the past, from Chaplin to De Palma, 'King Kong' to his own 'Pulp Fiction'; these are in-jokes, but they aren't pompous; unstead they, like the film itself, are a loving melting pot of all that is great about film.
Well said, Alky.
I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Everyone, do yourselves a favor and see it in the theater. ;)
Hugo Stiglitz!!!!!!!!

Last edited by illdojo; 08-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Well, lets add another one to the pile:

There's no way I'm going to top Alky's review, so I'm not even going to try. I'll be more concise: I fucking loved it. Easily one of Tarantino's best, and Christoph Waltz gives a brilliant performance. The entire cast is great to be sure, but it's Waltz that really steals the show - can't take your eyes off him for a second, incredible work.

Doesn't happen often that I'm tempted to stand up and applaud in the cinema...this is an exception. Great fucking movie.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Atrocity Exhibition

Nighthawks (1981)

Great little action/thriller from the 80's. Sly Stallone and Rutger Hauer both put up fantastic pefrormances. Hauer is capable of being one of the screen's best villains and I think Stallone is capable of being one of the screen's best heros, so it's especially awesome to see them playing off of each other, especially towards the last half of the film.

-8/10
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

cradle will fall (baby blues)
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Waste Disposer

equalibrium
jcvd
death trance
district b13
wonderfalls the complete series