Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Tenant

La Notte (1961)

A film, as made clear through an encounter between a nymphomaniac and a married intellect, about control: what it is to have it, what it is to lose it. Antonioni isn't so much concerned with theses, but more with hypotheticals. He draws complexities without explanations, and this is the secret ingredient to his recipes; instead of searching for answers, he sketches ideas of human flaw and, most importantly, does not employ an eraser. The central characters- played delicately by Moreau and Mastroianni- begin together mechanically but not spiritually, and things get hazier from there. As the two leave the comforts of their small confines and enter a world with elements out of their control they begin an adventure of self-exploration and awakening. Monica Vitti, an Antonioni trademark of youth and beauty, comes between them not personally but symbolically; it isn't so much that this particular woman has created sexual insecurity and relational doubt between the couple but more that nothing stable holds them together. "Marriage" is a man-made state, and vows are made only of word. Somewhere beyond good intention lies a frightening world of temptation and doubt, and it can hide in the most subtle of places- the distress of a dying friend, a street fight, a party. A remarkable centerpiece in Antonioni's unofficial trilogy filled with an admirable uncertainty and a tremendous cast.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Cranky

Strangers in the City

Independent film from 1962 detailing the degradation of life lived by a Puerto Rican family in New York. Well meaning, but really bad.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Bad Natured

Stuck. This looked like it would be a fun movie to watch. It wasn't. Instead, it was a painful to watch flick centering on selfishness and cowardice, with a little horror sprinkled in for the heck of it. Not to say that it wasn't a great movie, it was. Talk about having a bad day. Sheesh.
Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

Dead Wood ....not bad Brit indie flic.

The Last Remake Of Beau Geste...I used to think this was the funniest movie....not so much now but still worth a few chuckles.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

Fantastic film. Great performances all around, shot beautifully in Technicolor, and the direction from Powell and Pressburger is so unique and wonderful.

-10/10
Old 05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy View Post
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

Fantastic film. Great performances all around, shot beautifully in Technicolor, and the direction from Powell and Pressburger is so unique and wonderful.

-10/10
I've been meaning to check this out- I'm lacking in my Powell & Pressburger.
This month on TCM they're saluting a different director every night (I believe tonight is Bergman). I know there's going to be a P & P night, so I eagerly await that.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 AM
For Vendetta

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
I've been meaning to check this out- I'm lacking in my Powell & Pressburger.
This month on TCM they're saluting a different director every night (I believe tonight is Bergman). I know there's going to be a P & P night, so I eagerly await that.
Oh yeah, check it out for sure. This is actually the first P/P film I've seen but I'm definetly gonna explore them further.

Man, I really wish I had TCM on my cable. I seriously need to invest in upgrading my cable soon.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
That fucking Guy...

Coraline.
Ha, good stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
mostly ghostly?

Joshuu 701-gô: Sasori (Female Convict 701: Scorpion) (1972)

Still great, and surprisingly subversive. The shower fight scene is especially incredible.