Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Evil Dead

Philosophy of a Knife: Well actually I didn't watch it all. I kinda skimmed through it. It definitely was not what I was expecting. Maybe I have to slog my way through the whole 4 hours to fully appreciate it, but from what I did see it looked like a first or second year art student film. Very conceptual and messed up. I don't know if it can really work for four hours or not.

Tokyo Gore Police: I don't think I've laughed so much in my life. The gore is so over the top it just stops being gore and becomes slapstick. The effects are pretty hit and miss though. Some of it is done very well, while some of it is downright terrible. Decent enough movie, but not really something I'll watch again. I love gore, but the comic aspect just takes away from it for me.

JCVD: I had no idea what this was going to be like. It was awesome. Very well done and I will absolutely watch this again. Jean-Claude is great. He really takes a lot of punches at his own expense. There's one self-reflection part that is a bit lengthy and not really necessary, but the rest of the movie totally makes up for it. In no way is this a typical Jean-Claude Van Damme movie. Obviously not a horror movie, but I would highly recommend this one.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
What I liked about it was the fact that both films work very well together as a double bill. The second one doesnt disappoint whatsover...its at par with the original.

Good to see fresh takes by the Europeans (French and now the Norwegians) on the worn-out slasher subgenre.
probably helps that the film continues directly on from the first, and the continuity with major characters from the first is another plus.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Bad Natured

Masters of Horror: Dario Argenta: Pelts. Definitely not for the squeamish. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Hollowman

Starts very well and the FX are excellent but there isnt too much else to recommend this one.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Bad Natured

Versus (2000). Over the top in just about every aspect. Great flick.

Dark Water (2005). Only redeeming quality was that Jennifer Connelly was in it.

Ashe.
d

Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Cranky

I enjoyed Dark Water. I thought it was well done. I didn't even know when I saw it that it was a j-horror remake.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
For Vendetta

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Pirate of Bengal

They came back [Les revenants] (2004)

This is not a zombie or horror film, more of a human drama. The Dead comes back but instead of being flesh-hungry walking corpses, they just want to reintegrate into society, want their lives back; their jobs, their families and how would a society accommodate and re-integrate their deceased loved ones and relatives if they suddenly came from nowhere (cause they didn't rise from the grave!?!) with clean clothes, no illnesses, and energy to spare. Anyway, the idea wasn't bad but overall the movie was quite dull and there was no clear explanation about why/how they came back and where they finally returned.

>>: C-

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

A chilling supernatural thriller.

>>: B
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I enjoyed Dark Water. I thought it was well done. I didn't even know when I saw it that it was a j-horror remake.
Maybe i have been watching too much J-horror. The states version really was not that scary and i hated the ending, but i agree that the movie itself was well put together. Ashe.
d

Old 05-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Maybe i have been watching too much J-horror. The states version really was not that scary and i hated the ending, but i agree that the movie itself was well put together. Ashe.
d

see the origional.

the remake completely missed the tension generated by the 'non horror' moments.