Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

RocknRolla - 6/10
Pretty good... but Guy Ritchie can do better.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I dare say it might win the Oscar for the same reason above.

And too bad, because there are WAY better HINDI flicks than this one which never got the world's attention (because they werent released worldwide, and restricted to domestic BO), and which rightfully deserve an Oscar for Best Pic, in many more ways than one.
Totally agree; there were lot better hindi films already made in India (even Ram Gopal Verma made couple of better flicks I think:D) and you know.. that didn't surprised me at all; cause this is the same award platform that almost failed to recognize Satyajit Ray (Ray was an Indian Bengali Filmmaker & one of the greatest in the history of world cinema) and awarded him only with an honorary one just before his death at 1992 (it was like.."oh man! we almost forgot about him, let's just give him an award now..before he dies!") while he deserved a lot for his several outstanding masterpieces like Pather Pachali, Goopy Gayin Bagha Bayin, Jolshaghor etc.

last seen movies:

Igor (2008)

>>: C+

The Lucky Ones (2008)

>>: B-
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
mostly ghostly?

Ray is amazing. The Apu Trilogy were some of the first films that really got me loving cinema.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Tenant

Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964) - 1/5

The father of gore's most infamous film is probably remembered mostly for its idea and not its execution. It starts out great, banjos roaring and confederates raging; in fact, the opening credits sequences paint an extremely uncomfortable portrait of an angry southern town. However, the next hour or so tears that apart with snail-rate pacing and an uninteresting storyline.

Do You Like Hitchcock? (2005) - 3.5/5

A loving homage full of twists and turns, cinematic in-jokes and style. Argento gleefully fills the screen with all of his favorite Hitchcock moments (and ours too) but never crosses into kiss-ass or cheese territory, which is extremely impressive. Elio Germano does a great job at playing the sympathetic angle while remaining voyeuristic and nosy, and the rest of the unknown cast do a good job filling in the gaps around him.

Touchez pas au grisbi (1954) - 5/5

Becker's response to the noir wave is both gracefully entertaining and revolutionarily violent. The film takes its time in engulfing itself in a world which just seems to get darker and darker, constantly diving into lower depths of the city. As usual, Jean Gabin is astounding; here he is cool and sleek, not unlike a lot of the American noir icons, but he doesn't have as gracious a sense of humor and he's on the wrong side of crime. Modern gangster fare owes credit to the slow-burn, character-oriented plotting used here, though few films have been able to match Becker's engaging style.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - 3/5

A decidedly unfocused attempt at pairing Bram Stoker's meticulous novel with themes of voyeurism and cinematic invention. The film isn't a failure; Coppola is masterful in both his stunning visuals and his complex sound design, and the film is probably the closest Stoker adaptation to date. Unfortunately the acting is unnatural and uncomfortable. Oldman seems pretty at-home with his Count characterization, and Hopkins knows exactly what he is doing, but the rest of the cast is blatantly overwhelmed. Whether Keanu is in place as some kind of cultural joke is not important because his naivity is both boring and unprofessional. See it for its craftsmanship but don't expect any kind of groundbreaking drama.

To Have and Have Not (1944) - 4/5

The beginning of a beautiful friendship; Bogie and Bacall are immediately magnetic, their chemistry gleaming as though it had been alive for years. The story isn't exactly explosive (in the wake of Bogart's previously successful overseas film, this one seems recycled) but strong characters keep the film pulsing and rich. Hawks and Bogart reportedly never got along, but this never showed in their collaborations, which ironically were some of both of their finest career moments.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
You seen the original?
Sadly, no...but I was an extra in a movie by the guy that directed it :cool:

Now that it has a decent DVD release, I'll have to check it out though. Nothing like a good slasher once in awhile.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Tenant

White Dog (1982) - 3.5/5

What starts as an effective idea and a thought-provoking metaphor never quite becomes anything profound, though Fuller's exploration is brave and his intentions important. It isn't a fun film to watch; its presentation is barbaric and sometimes cruel, but the story is always on track and engaging. A reminder that cinema does not always have to be a friendly medium, and that sometimes things are more effectively shown than told.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
She's under the stairs

My Bloody Valentine 3D

I thought it was pretty dissapointing, I mean it was just run of the mill, but it was in 3D, so that kind of made it cool, but they could have used the 3D better.

5/10

P.S Elvis I will check out the origanal sometime in the next week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Sea Change - quiet low key flick about an alcoholic cop in a small town based on a robert b parker novel. .. not bad.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Secretary

Not as good as I thought it would be

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Evil Dead

The Midnight Meat Train.

Pretty good overall. Nothing too surprising in the plot if you're a Clive Barker fan though. The gore was well done and the pacing/intensity was spot on. The one disappointment was the CGI gore. Most scenes were passable, but one scene just looked so horribly fake that it irked me through the rest of the movie.