Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse mac
Its part of a series of books called Discworld. Well worth a look but dont be expecting horror they are more comedy but really well written. This is a world which is a big disc sat on top the backs of four elephants who in turn are riding a giant turtle swimming thru space! This book is about a coven of witches battling it out with a family of vampires who are trying to overcome their traditional weaknesses ( such as religious symbols n stuff )
Pratchett is awesome! I've just finished THUD!, which brings me up to date on the whole Discworld series (20+ books).

A word to those interested in reading Pratchett. Don't start at the beginning. His early work is a little weak compared to what he's been putting out during the last ten years. Start somewhere near Feet of Clay or Lords and Ladies. Then once you're hooked, the earlier work is alot of fun but you'll see what I mean.

~Cynner
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Hellraiser

Danse Macabre?

I thought I was the only one still reading that old King staple. Great research tool.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Just finished Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature. Short, well concieved. I think it's a must for horror readers interested in where the genre came from. Also just reread the Picture of Dorian Gray.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:49 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Faustus
Just finished Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature. Short, well concieved. I think it's a must for horror readers interested in where the genre came from. Also just reread the Picture of Dorian Gray.
"The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear"
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally posted by Cynner
Pratchett is awesome! I've just finished THUD!, which brings me up to date on the whole Discworld series (20+ books).

A word to those interested in reading Pratchett. Don't start at the beginning. His early work is a little weak compared to what he's been putting out during the last ten years. Start somewhere near Feet of Clay or Lords and Ladies. Then once you're hooked, the earlier work is alot of fun but you'll see what I mean.

~Cynner
Any of his books with the Ankh-Morpork City Watch are my personal favs, between Sergeant Detritus and Captain Carrot any city would be safe!

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 12-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Any of his books with the Ankh-Morpork City Watch are my personal favs, between Sergeant Detritus and Captain Carrot any city would be safe!

Agreed!

Currently have about 7 books I haven't finished,but mucking thru 'Body Reflexology-Healing at Your Fingertips' at the moment
Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally posted by novakru
Currently have about 7 books I haven't finished,but mucking thru 'Body Reflexology-Healing at Your Fingertips' at the moment
Ive tried that for my g/f. Got a book with some reflexology implements and attempted to ease her constant back problems. Only lasted about a minute cos she couldn't stop laughing, claimed I was deliberately tickling her feet. Thats gratitude for you.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Samuel Vimes and Esme Weatherwax are my favorites.

----

Just finished All Tomorrow's Parties by W. Gibson. A good read if you have a taste for Gibson, but Pattern Recognition is still my favorite.

Cynner
Old 12-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Ive tried that for my g/f. Got a book with some reflexology implements and attempted to ease her constant back problems. Only lasted about a minute cos she couldn't stop laughing, claimed I was deliberately tickling her feet. Thats gratitude for you.
Laughing or crying is actually quite normal,it is releasing tension in places that most people don't even realize there IS tension.
I was doing this pressure point thing on my best friends shoulder muscles and she started screaming at me....she wasn't ready to release and she felt like she was going to combust if I didn't stop,poor thing.
Anyways,I think I am going to go into reiki healing...if I can find a damn teacher here in this fucked up town,I am going to die here, I just know it....death by uncreative closeminded shithead people:D
Old 12-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally posted by novakru
Laughing or crying is actually quite normal,it is releasing tension in places that most people don't even realize there IS tension.
I was doing this pressure point thing on my best friends shoulder muscles and she started screaming at me....she wasn't ready to release and she felt like she was going to combust if I didn't stop,poor thing.
Anyways,I think I am going to go into reiki healing...if I can find a damn teacher here in this fucked up town,I am going to die here, I just know it....death by uncreative closeminded shithead people:D
My sympathies, maybe you could open the minds of these people, be seen as the bringer of light into the darkness of your town? Or you could move. :)

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac