Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Shadowland by Peter Straub. Only about 30 pages in, but I'm enjoying it already.
Looks great! Let me know what you think - I'm always looking for recs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyMyers View Post
What did you think of 20TH Century Ghosts.

Ive heard Shadowland is one of the best horror novel of the 19th century. Also heard its a tough read as Straub likes to put kinda spin you around so to speak.
Let us know how it was please.
I liked 20th Century Ghosts - Some stories are definitely stronger than others, and I think that he creates better vignettes than he does full-out stories, but for the most part, the stories kept my interest.

I loved Heart-Shaped Box and highly recommend to people who are looking for a good, solid ghost story.

Haven't ready Horns yet - Anyone on here read Horns?

I'm currently spending my reading time juggling A Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer and All-New Tales, a short story compilation edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio (Ok, but not great - There's been one story that I've truly enjoyed so far and it was one of Gaiman's: "The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains," which was a fantastic folk tale - I think he truly shines with these).

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

the only straub iv read is "in the night room"with stephen king,didnt like it so havnt botherd reading any others.was that just a one off or something straub seems to be liked by alot of people.or is it just my taste.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Love is like dying

ive started reading living dead girl for second time round, i recomend it very short book, quite disturbing.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Looks great! Let me know what you think - I'm always looking for recs.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through (Shadowland) and I must say it's quite amazing. The scope of the book, and the issues it touches on are extrodinary. It's mythic, really. Along the way of telling the story of a group of boys who went to a creepy boy's school in the 60s, and then their lives years later, as adults, he touches on the nature and philosophy of magic, archetypes and fairy/folk tales, also taking some side trips into WWI. He also creates compelling, unique characters that you're interested in, and care about.

Some people might find it a bit sprawling, but I love all the places it goes.

Hope it can hold up till the end.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

A Special Place by Peter Straub

Wanted to kinda get warmed up with his writing before starting Shadowland so i picked this up. More of a novella than a book or short story I thought it was pretty good n disturbing in its depravity of human nature. More importantly i enjoyed his style of writing and how he likes to jump ahead in timelines. Cant wait to start Shadowland now.

Has anyone ever heard of or read Ramsey Campbell's work? Friend of mine was almost offended that i had never heard of him so now being intrigued I wanted to know any opinoins on his work or what his best stories/books are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I'm about 2/3 of the way through (Shadowland) and I must say it's quite amazing. The scope of the book, and the issues it touches on are extrodinary. It's mythic, really. Along the way of telling the story of a group of boys who went to a creepy boy's school in the 60s, and then their lives years later, as adults, he touches on the nature and philosophy of magic, archetypes and fairy/folk tales, also taking some side trips into WWI. He also creates compelling, unique characters that you're interested in, and care about.

Some people might find it a bit sprawling, but I love all the places it goes.

Hope it can hold up till the end.
It does. It is spectacular and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried my eyes out-it touches you immensely on an emotional level.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Evil is Better

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Heat Wave by "Richard Castle"
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Hellraiser

Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

havnt read any ramsy campell but i have heard hes good too,

half way through john sauls "in the dark of night"seems good so far,i like john sauls classic type stories,a family moves to a new town and something creepys goin on or a family moves into a new house and something starts haunting them.keeps for an easy enjoyable read
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyMyers View Post

Has anyone ever heard of or read Ramsey Campbell's work? Friend of mine was almost offended that i had never heard of him so now being intrigued I wanted to know any opinoins on his work or what his best stories/books are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ramsey Campbell is an interesting one... His writing style is sort of drunken stream-of-consciousness, which leads to an odd, confusing, unsettling reading experience at times.

I really liked his short story "The Scar," though I haven't ready a whole lot else because of the above - You sort of have to be in the mood for it, if that makes any sense. My boyfriend can't stand how he writes, so I think that readers may be torn.

Honestly, I recommend picking up Alone with the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction of Ramsey Campbell - It's a good short story collection of his "best" works. You can find it used pretty cheap and then decide if you like it or not. That's what I did.

Here it is on Amazon if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Horrors-...2409082&sr=8-1

Join my Facebook Horror Group!