Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Oh man- that film is AMAZING!
perhaps it was my mood....just couldn't get into it.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Oh man- that film is AMAZING!
House (1977) demands some latitude from its audience, but I definitely agree with neverending on this one.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Confessions (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP McCoy View Post
Confessions - A depressing exploration of moral decline in youth culture,Confessions is the story of a single mother whose small Daughter is found dead in the swimming pool of the school where she teaches.The death of the child is thought to be an accident,however the mother uncovers evidence that it was in fact murder and the culprits are two of her students.
The mother's vengeance is to force the students to confront their own mortality and teach them that actions lead to consequences,this sets into motion a chain reaction of events that has a devastating effect on all those involved.The focus of the storyline shifts as each main character tells their tale(Or confesses),with each confession we learn a little more about what really happened to the teachers little girl and what part each of the characters played in the tragedy.These confessions also unravel the motivations of those involved and provide an unsettling insight into the minds of several damaged individuals.
The themes of the film are presented in a non judgemental way,indeed it was difficult to find any of the characters likeable,each were flawed in their own way,even the bereaved teacher.It is interesting that while the lack of morality in the young people of today is the main theme of the film,it is not only the young people whose morality and conscience is called into question.The film also asks serious questions of the parts played in modern society by parents,teachers and other adults in the development of young people.
Confessions is extremely bleak throughout and is quite relentlessly depressing,however the questions raised are absolutely socially relevent and I found it to be quite compelling. 8/10
Totally agree with DP. A stylish, gripping revenge drama from Japan. Liked it,

>>: A-
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Actually made it until the 1 hour mark....then I had to turn it off

too disjointed and apparently an acid trip might have helped.

House

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/

I'm with newb.

Too asian-goofy for my taste.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Haunted House Project (2010)

>>: C

Haunted Changi (2010)

>>: C+
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Confessions (2010)

Totally agree with DP. A stylish, gripping revenge drama from Japan. Liked it,

>>: A-
Glad you liked it too rosh :) I could have lived without the CGI at the end,but aside from that I thought it was a really interesting film.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Bedevilled (2010)

Set in a rural island with a very small population, it started like a typical Asian slow-moving drama where it portrays the male dominating illiterate society full with idiots but suddenly in the last-third it turns into a bloody revenge flick. Worth a watch.

>>: B+
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 AM
A little glass vial?

Send a message via MSN to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Skype™ to nightmare_of _death
Coming Soon (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307057/

You never really know whats going to come next in this,something always seems to be watching you. I liked it,I thought it was better than Ringu. 7/10
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Bad Natured

Ichi (2008). Today's review is fueled by a mastodon migraine that is threatening to evolve into a full blown seizure. But my ailing skull has nothing to do with this wonderful tangent from the original Ichi series. An interesting take for sure, Ichi is its own movie and for detractors to lament that its not another Ichi clone is itself lamentable. Another annoying complaint concerned the bad guys and their over the top antics. These are probably the same clowns that flame Takashi Miike's Yakuza. Personally, I think that these whiners were all PMSing together when they saw it and nothing but ice cream and a litany of complaints could make them happy.

The story was a nicely designed breath of fresh air. While it relied heavy on flashbacks, it was done in such a beautiful fashion that it seemed more an aesthetic marvel than a cinematic crutch. Where some of its characters remain rather flat, it is not so much out of poor storytelling but rather to reveal that character's repressed existence, and this serves to emote that any chink in their psychological armor might cause the whole enchilada to unravel.

The acting sold its characters with aplomb. Haruka Ayase is stunningly beautiful in her role, despite her being callus and emotionally shut down. Takao Ohsawa makes for the perfect underdog whose ultimate archenemy, played in outrageous fashion by Shidō Nakamura, culminates in a denouement that remains true to Japanese culture. The rest of the cast is just as solid, all the way down to the pint-sized custodian of the titular Ichi.

The technicalities were all handled with a subdued precision. The direction definitely gave this movie its own distinction, and Fumihiko Sori was not afraid to deviate from the expected formula in order to create his own version of this classic story. The photography was nothing short of compelling. Some of this movie's detractors may have disparaged this flick as slow due to the camera's determination to linger on a character when his or her emotional outpourings had to first overcome the character's repugnance to show emotional weakness. When there was action, the fight choreography proved to be gripping, smoothly flashing back and forth between standard and slow motion. The CGI blood was a bit ostensible, but the classic genre from which this arose were blatantly obsessed with flying blood so maybe this was more an homage than a smudge. The editing, on the other hand, was not ostensible, and in this case lends weight to a worthy editing crew. The score was fitting, sparse and hauntingly beautiful.

The ending was a sort of compromise from the normal Japanese fatalism, but in this case it leaves its audience fully satisfied to have remained through its two hour runtime.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Cranky

The Eye 3.

It went over the top a few times, and I was confused by a few comedic moments, but overall I enjoyed the film. Not as good as the first two films though.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff