Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
mostly ghostly?

Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) (2008)

This is not a horror movie. It is not a vampire movie. At least, neither of those are the defining words I'd use to describe the essence of the film. It's about the mess of adolescence. It's an against-the-odds love story. It's about surviving in this world, doing what must be done. All classic, timeless templates, only in this instance told against a unique backdrop. See, then maybe it's a vampire film, or a horror film.
It is slow, sad, dark, and cold, punctuated by both harshness and happiness, the dynamics of a haunting melody. It is blurry and distant, until Eli and Oskar, the two main characters, come together. Their interactions are close and intimate.
The performances of the two main kids are remarkable, fully consumed by not only their roles, but by the world created in the film. Especially Lina Leandersson, who plays Eli (the vampire), truly looks far older than her years.
The Dalai Lama once talked about every person being the center of his or her respective universe, and we get that in Oskar and Eli's world. From their prospective, together they create one universe, trying to omit the extraneous, not caring to question each other beyond traditional childish things. And that's really what it comes down to with this film.
Any complaints I may have had were rendered negligible by the end. I mean that in two ways: by the end of the film, I no longer cared about those parts; and by the way the film ended, I no longer cared about those parts. (Possible SPOILER) The finale is truly the most virtuosic part about the film, we finally get to see Oskar and Eli trim all the excess from their universe.

All in all, it's a truly wonderful film; one of the very best of 2008.

Highly, highly recommended to everyone here I usually recommend movies to (i.e. V, Alky, NE, Flayed, Return, Des), and to also everyone else.

Last edited by fortunato; 03-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
mostly ghostly?

Synecdoche, New York (2008)

This is fiction at its most elegant.
Very, very highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
For Vendetta

Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) (2008)

This is not a horror movie. It is not a vampire movie. At least, neither of those are the defining words I'd use to describe the essence of the film. It's about the mess of adolescence. It's an against-the-odds love story. It's about surviving in this world, doing what must be done. All classic, timeless templates, only in this instance told against a unique backdrop. See, then maybe it's a vampire film, or a horror film.
It is slow, sad, dark, and cold, punctuated by both harshness and happiness, the dynamics of a haunting melody. It is blurry and distant, until Eli and Oskar, the two main characters, come together. Their interactions are close and intimate.
The performances of the two main kids are remarkable, fully consumed by not only their roles, but by the world created in the film. Especially Lina Leandersson, who plays Eli (the vampire), truly looks far older than her years.
The Dalai Lama once talked about every person being the center of his or her respective universe, and we get that in Oskar and Eli's world. From their prospective, together they create one universe, trying to omit the extraneous, not caring to question each other beyond traditional childish things. And that's really what it comes down to with this film.
Any complaints I may have had were rendered negligible by the end. I mean that in two ways: by the end of the film, I no longer cared about those parts; and by the way the film ended, I no longer cared about those parts. (Possible SPOILER) The finale is truly the most virtuosic part about the film, we finally get to see Oskar and Eli trim all the excess from their universe.

All in all, it's a truly wonderful film; one of the very best of 2008.

Highly, highly recommended to everyone here I usually recommend movies to (i.e. V, Alky, NE, Flayed, Return, Des), and to also everyone else.
Just caught this last night. Amazing. One of the most legitimately romantic movies I've ever seen. Gory, beautiful, just all around brilliant.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
HDC Idol

V - I just noticed the indexed list you made in the first post - Thanks!

I need to make an official recommendation for...

The Signal (2007)

The Signal was by far one of the best movies of 2007. The concept is simple but effective: A mysterious signal is emitted over all television and radio waves which causes everyone to become violent, paranoid, murderous, and insane. Everyone is a threat.

Essentially, it's widespread insanity; with a delightfully absurd touch.

The first third of the movie is quite possibly some of the most gritty, realistic, and horrifying pieces of horror that I have ever seen. The direction is raw, honest, and brutal and the acting power of these little-knowns is believable and incredibly well-done. The second third of the movie takes a turn to the dark, black comedy and does so with brilliant transitions and comic timing of the crew.

Funny, horrifying, gripping, and satisfying. This is a brilliant, bloody horror film that everyone has to see.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Wanted to add a couple that I've pimped endlessly around here already...just wanted to add 'em here officially:

---------------------------------------------

Dark Heritage - The Final Descendant

My review from Unsung Top 100: From a critical point of view, this really isn’t a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. The actors are some of the worst that I have ever witnessed; the script is just as bad, and the budget makes Evil Dead look like the new King Kong.

“If it’s so bad, why do you like it so much?” you’re asking. Well despite its flaws, Dark Heritage has a sort of magic to it that would be the envy of even Ed Wood.

The story, based loosely on Lovecraft’s “Lurking Fear”, centers around a newspaper reporter named Clint Harrison and his quest to solve a strain of mysterious, brutal murders. The mystery leads him and his co-workers to an abandoned mansion deep in the woods…a mansion with a terrible, violent past and a shocking secret.

Even though he might be the only person involved that knows anything about filmmaking, the director is actually fairly competent (David McCormick, who amusingly enough was also an editor on the recent Wallace & Gromit film). If nothing else he creates some great atmosphere in many of the scenes, especially the tunnel sequences and the grisly spectacle near the end. Furthermore, the sepia toned dream sequence mid-film is one of the most memorable dream sequences since Hitchcock’s Vertigo.

Go into this movie with an open mind. By the typical definitions it might not be great filmmaking, but I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Dungeon of Harrow

My review from Unsung Top 100: “How many times have I stood before this symbol of my family's greatness? And now this crest and I are dying together. In another time and another place, I might have brought honor and glory to the Fallon family, but instead I shall leave a legacy of decay and unspeakable horror.”

Just try and tell me that that isn’t one heck of an awesome way to start a horror movie. A little overdramatic perhaps, but in a film like Dungeon of Harrow you should never expect anything less.

At first the plot is really nothing new or exciting, but it soon progresses into incredibly bizarre and original territory. The lone survivors of a shipwreck, the son of a wealthy Englishman and the captain of his ship find themselves on the Isle de Sade, home to a more-than-slightly off his rocker Count. They are found and welcomed into his castle, but soon discover that not everything is as it seems. To reveal more would be to spoil the plot, but suffice to say I bet you can’t guess where it’s going to go from here.

The actors are all deliciously over the top, especially William McNulty in the role of the Count. His hallucination scene near the first really sets the tone for the rest of the film: Strange, whacked out and a whole heaping load of fun. Take one spoonful of one of Roger Corman’s Poe movies, remove most of the budget and a lot of the talent involved, add a generous pinch of LSD for good measure and voila! Dungeon of Harrow, ready to serve. Best consumed with an open mind.

Two of my all-time favourites. Just fun, cheesy horror - nothing fancy, but they make for a damn good viewing.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I need to make an official recommendation for...

The Signal (2007)
I'll second this one. I think I watched on your recommendation, actually, Chrono. It really caught me off guard with them jumping from style to style, but they pull it off. Definitely a true entertainer.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Dungeon of Harrow
I must see this. Hearing so much about it from you has me super-curious.

EDIT: Number 1 on my Netflix queue now.

Last edited by fortunato; 03-23-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I must see this. Hearing so much about it from you has me super-curious.

EDIT: Number 1 on my Netflix queue now.
Awesome! :D

Enjoy it man - just don't expect high art. Sit back with a couple cold beers and hang on for the ride.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
mostly ghostly?

Okay, I'd like to preface this:

If you don't have a sense of humor and/or are easily offended, don't watch this film.

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971)

Dušan Makavejev's darkly humorous film is a fanciful, bizarre collage of documentary footage, free-form fiction, found footage, narration, and musical numbers.
Starting off as a mocking, satiric (but real) documentary about controversial psychiatrist/philosopher Wilhelm Reich, the film begins to cross over into a fictional story about a young Yugoslavian revolutionary/Reich-follower's seduction of a Russian figure skater. Throughout the film, he also juxtaposes scenes from a Stalinist propaganda film, shots of performance artist Tuli Kupferberg in a solider's uniform stalking New Yorkers on the street, "plaster casting", transsexual monologues, and more. It sounds silly and outrageous, and it absolutely is, but it works. By making grotesque those things which keep us so serious (communism in Russia, sexual paradigm in America and human sexuality in general, psychology), Makavejev seems to hope for a better sense of humor about those things, important self-realization, and a greater flexibility of love and mind and body (and hopefully in this, a cure for what ails humanity). It is offensive, bold, funny, fascinating, and the work of a true anti-authoritarian.
The final result is truly a wonder.

A solid recommendation for, um...well, I'm not sure I could say.
Take a chance on it, I guess.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Alot of good recs, Ive seen a number of films based solely on whats been posted here. Thought Id throw my hat in the ring with a couple of my favourites not already listed.

Frailty (2001)
Bill Paxton stars and directs in a brilliant horror/thriller about 'The Gods Hand' Killer

Kolobos (1999)
An underrarted film, not a masterpiece by any stretch but a quality little headwrecker

Not horror, but Sci Fi

Silent Running (1972)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac