Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Wanna Join?

Now reading VATHEK, a 1786 fantasy by William Beckford. Expertly written and imaginative, the well-wrought English virtually serenades the mind's eye. Gonna be a masterpiece methinks.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM
spirits B gone

I am reading False Memory by Dean Kootnz. Its about being brain washed by the trusting hands of a psycho Psychiatrist. The writing is very detailed and flows nicely. Not terribly suspenseful but a very intriguing story.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Just read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Really liked this book. Picked it up based on some feedback from here at HDC. It's a compelling ghost story and I was surprised at how wrapped up I got in our two main characters, especially since I didn't really like them at all at first. Also, the end was fantastic. I wasn't really sure where the story would take me, but the end was bliss. Loved it. Incredibly well-written and also equally creepy at times, Heart Shaped Box is a great ghost story and a great character piece.

HIGHLY recommended.

Has anyone read any other Joe Hill?
Couldnt agree more. Loved the way it ended and the story kept me wrapped up in it the whole time. Read the whole book in like 3-4 days, which is really fast for me. Hill is very talented at creating atmosphere and explaining the enviorment and emotions surrounding the characters. Havent read anything else so far but definitly planning on reading more of his work.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
The Definitive Book of Body Language (2006) by Allan Pease. AKA the Devil's Little Helper, this gem is system which allows one to literally read what someone is saying through their subconsciously controlled body movements. As well, it also give hints and tricks to use for expressing oneself with greater effect by controlling both the speaker's and listener's body language. Fun stuff, though maybe a little devious in the wrong hands.
Genruk
If you enjoyed that kinda stuff you should read into neuro-linguistic programming NLP. Deals alot with understanding and using body language, eye movement, tone of voice so you can influence and anchor conversations and interpert what the other speaker(s) are actually trying to say. Very interesting and extremly effective if used correctly but would take alot of practice and is basically all textbook type reading.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Evil Dead

Im reading the book,The Fire-Raiser,too bad my school library has almost run out of both horror filled and mystery books for me to read and the new books dont come til december!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Satan's joystick

Not telling.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM

I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson
One of my favorite books, espicially vampire based.
Love the way he creates his worlds. Only about 175 pgs so its easy to read and sucks you up into it throughout the entire story. Totally beliveable and you really feel what Neville is feeling. IMO the movies dont do the story justice at all. If you enjoyed the movies do yourself a favor and read the book which will most likely include a bunch of other great short stories. Actually if you liked the Will Smith version you probably WONT like it cause it is almost a completly different from the book.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Horror Movie Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to GoreHound13
Stephen King's Under the Dome. great read so far.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 AM
spirits B gone

Dean Koontz Fan

I am reading False Memory by Dean Koontz. Its about a people who are brainwashed to do certain things at certain times in order to do a psychiatrists bidding. Very sick and twisted man.

Its a kind of slow read and I am still waiting for the big climax after nearing the conclusion.

This makes me think twice about going to a psychiatrist.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Horror Movie Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to GoreHound13
Quote:
Originally Posted by good vs evil View Post
I am reading False Memory by Dean Koontz. Its about a people who are brainwashed to do certain things at certain times in order to do a psychiatrists bidding. Very sick and twisted man.

Its a kind of slow read and I am still waiting for the big climax after nearing the conclusion.

This makes me think twice about going to a psychiatrist.
sounds interesting, ill have to read that one :P