Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Evil Dead

Is that the recently released hardcover?
Yeah, read it just a little while ago if so - I hope they throw this one into the continuity rather than standalone.
Ha "rabbit".
Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Undead

I just finished reading "Marvel Zombies 2" and am about to read the "Killing Joke" (again) which is in the comic "The Stories of Alan Moore".
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Is that the recently released hardcover?
Yeah, read it just a little while ago if so - I hope they throw this one into the continuity rather than standalone.
Ha "rabbit".
That'd be the one.

I dont know...I was actually a bit let down. It was good, but I found their characterization of the Joker to be just a little bit TOO rough. I mean, it's the fuckin' Joker - he doesn't need to binge on pills or alcohol to be crazy!

Plus, they seemed to take most of the comedy out of him...the made him more of a scary drug addict with clown make-up than the Clown Prince of Crime.

I did enjoy it for the most part...I guess my expectations were just too high. Now I just have to go re-read The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum to wash this impostor-Joker out of my head...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme Fatale View Post
I just finished reading "Marvel Zombies 2" and am about to read the "Killing Joke" (again) which is in the comic "The Stories of Alan Moore".
That collection is a great buy. I really dig his Green Lantern Corps story in there.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
That collection is a great buy. I really dig his Green Lantern Corps story in there.
There are a couple in there - which one?

I'm pretty partial to Tygers myself (thats the one with Abin Sur's backstory)...the one with the blind creature was really cool, too (In Blackest Night?).

It really is a wonderful collection...lots of great stuff in there.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
That'd be the one.

I dont know...I was actually a bit let down. It was good, but I found their characterization of the Joker to be just a little bit TOO rough. I mean, it's the fuckin' Joker - he doesn't need to binge on pills or alcohol to be crazy!

Plus, they seemed to take most of the comedy out of him...the made him more of a scary drug addict with clown make-up than the Clown Prince of Crime.

I did enjoy it for the most part...I guess my expectations were just too high. Now I just have to go re-read The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum to wash this impostor-Joker out of my head...
I have that one for quite some time now (Art by Lee Bermejo?)...havent gotten around to reading it yet.

Sounds a bit out of league-ish by Joker standards...which is a tad disappointing. And that is bad, cuz I expected a lot from that book.

Maybe its a good thing I havent read it yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I have that one for quite some time now (Art by Lee Bermejo?)...havent gotten around to reading it yet.

Sounds a bit out of league-ish by Joker standards...which is a tad disappointing. And that is bad, cuz I expected a lot from that book.

Maybe its a good thing I havent read it yet.
Yep, thats the one.

It's certainly not horrible...Bermejo's art is fantastic. From a visual point of view their Joker is damn near perfect, and the story is pretty solid - they just didn't have much of a grasp on the character. It was like they saw what Heath was doing with it, and said "Hey, lets take that Joker, but make him twice as sadistic!", "Yeah! Then we can take away his sense of humour and put him on pills!" :rolleyes:

My opinion is if you already have it, its certainly worth reading...but I wouldn't suggest anyone rush out to buy it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
There are a couple in there - which one?

I'm pretty partial to Tygers myself (thats the one with Abin Sur's backstory)...the one with the blind creature was really cool, too (In Blackest Night?).

It really is a wonderful collection...lots of great stuff in there.
The Killing Joke was visually stunning. The transitions between panels (and storyline) were fantastic. I also enjoyed the sick sense of humour of the Joker. I'm so glad I have the Alan Moore collection as opposed to just that one story because it really makes me want to read more of his work. I can't wait to read the other stories like the Green Lantern and the Tygers like you both mentioned.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme Fatale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus

The Killing Joke was visually stunning. The transitions between panels (and storyline) were fantastic. I also enjoyed the sick sense of humour of the Joker. I'm so glad I have the Alan Moore collection as opposed to just that one story because it really makes me want to read more of his work. I can't wait to read the other stories like the Green Lantern and the Tygers like you both mentioned.
Oh yeah, Killing Joke goes without saying...one of the greatest one shot comics of all time. I can't even count how many times I've read and re-read that one - hell, I can practically recite parts of it.

Alan Moore is a God among men. I'm assuming you've read Watchmen, correct?

PS - For another great take on The Joker (though not nearly as mindblowing as Killing Joke) check out Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison. Its very strange and takes some getting used to...but fuck me running, it's absolutely brilliant.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Evil Dead

Latest suggestion: Incognito.
Just pick up the first issue and tell me I'm wrong.