Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Living Dead

Send a message via AIM to Living/Dead
The least you could do is explain why you think Dog Soldiers is a slasher and not a horror movie as you say. Or is that above you?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

THERE WE GO!

Good stuff, let's chat it up. First, slasher is just as it decribes. Not much story line, mainly over the top gore which just visually shocks rather than get in you head. Horror, it much different. A great horror film can be made with not a drop of blood. Acutally the best ones are.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Re: THERE WE GO!

Quote:
Originally posted by TrueFan
Good stuff, let's chat it up. First, slasher is just as it decribes. Not much story line, mainly over the top gore which just visually shocks rather than get in you head. Horror, it much different. A great horror film can be made with not a drop of blood. Acutally the best ones are.
Slasher film
The slasher film is a sub-genre of the horror film, also referred to as a splatter film. Typically, a masked, psychotic person stalks and graphically kills teenagers who are away from adult supervision.

The two prototypical examples of the genre were John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) and Sean Cunningham's Friday the 13th (1980), both of which spawned numerous sequels and even more imitators. (Although Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) could be seen as the true origin of the form.) Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) also generated an enduring series. The simple plots, minimal special effects and potent combination of sex and violence made it an easy choice for low-budget filmmaking in the 1980s.

Carol J. Clover, in her book Men, Women and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film, identified what she called the Final Girl trope, the heroic young woman who ultimately survives and defeats the Killer (at least until the sequel). The Final Girl almost invariably has an androgynous name (e.g. Teddy, Billie, Georgie, Sydney) and does not partake of the sex and drugs the other teenagers do. Often, she has shared history with the Killer.

The slasher genre broke into the mainstream in the 1990s, being extensively parodied in Wes Craven's Scream trilogy and Keenen Ivory Wayans' Scary Movie series, but with also many "straight" imitators.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Living Dead

TrueFan
Quote:
IMO this is what your basically saying.

Horror = Good Horror Movie
Slasher = Bad Horror Movie

Slasher is a sub-genre of horror, they are not two seperate categories.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Horror film

A horror film is a film dominated by elements of horror. This film genre incorporates a number of sub-genres and repeated themes, such as slasher themes, vampire themes, zombie themes, demonic possession and Satanism, alien mind control, evil children, cannibalism, werewolves, animals attacking humans, haunted houses, etc. The horror film genre is often associated with low budgets and exploitation, but major studios and well-respected directors have made intermittent forays into the genre. Some horror films exhibit a substantial amount of cross-over with other genres, particularly science fiction.

Certain stories and themes have proven popular and have inspired many sequels, remakes, and copycats. See Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, werewolves, and zombies.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Living/Dead
The least you could do is explain why you think Dog Soldiers is a slasher and not a horror movie as you say. Or is that above you?
because it wasn't scary?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Living Dead

Living/Dead
Quote:
wufong
Quote:
because it wasn't scary?
So you have to be scared of watching a movie for it to be considered horror?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Living/Dead
Living/Dead

wufong

So you have to be scared of watching a movie for it to be considered horror?
pretty much yes. not saying it was a bad movie or anything. i liked it. but for a true horror ( for me) is one where it freaks/ makes me jump etc. dogs soldiers didnt do it to me. but like isaid it was a good movie.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by wufong
pretty much yes. not saying it was a bad movie or anything. i liked it. but for a true horror ( for me) is one where it freaks/ makes me jump etc. dogs soldiers didnt do it to me. but like isaid it was a good movie.
If that was the case, Id have seen 3 horror movies in my life!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." – Dr. Seuss

"Someone called actors 'sculptors in snow.' Very apt. In the end, it's all nothing." – Vincent Price

The Oldest and Stongest Emotion of Man is Fear- H.P Lovecraft

Six bottles went down the drain
One hour's a waste of time
I'd ask if you feel the same
Still pushin that chance to try
Your breath in this cool room chill
Long hair that blows side to side
You speak and make time stand still
And each time you walk right on by
Old 08-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Scares Little Kids

horror/comedy yes with an unoriginal plot lol and poor effects