Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude View Post
sorry if this thread as been asked before,ive just joined and still finding my feet and have got lots of questions about films and opinions. sorry!
All good man. New discussion is always cool. I don't mind new threads being started personally because its good to hear new member's take on things without digging up some ancient thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milktoaste View Post
I understand why remakes are made, but the notion that movie makers are 'running out of ideas' or are just having a hard time coming up with them is just sad.
I don't really buy the "running out of ideas" thing anymore. Remakes are just a successful subgenre so the studios are feeding it to make money just like slashers in the 80s etc. There's still just as many original horror films being made although they are a little less high profile.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I don't really buy the "running out of ideas" thing anymore. Remakes are just a successful subgenre so the studios are feeding it to make money just like slashers in the 80s etc. There's still just as many original horror films being made although they are a little less high profile.
I totally agree. I've only just finished my second economics class so I'm no expert, but it's pretty obvious why those with the cash aren't making as many 'risky' investments. Unfortunately, I'm afraid remakes are something we're just going to have to live with for a while- at least until people have the money to go to more than just one movie a season again.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by milktoaste View Post
...at least until people have the money to go to more than just one movie a season again.
It is a shame its so expensive to go to the movies. You'd think they would make a bit of an effort to keep the price down to compete with DVDs/downloads.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Frankendoc66

Personaly, I am not a great lover of all these remakes. They are just not a patch on the original.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Spot

I'm sick of remakes - can't the genre come up with anything new? Look at how many (and this is off the top of my head) remakes they have made or are in the process of making:

King Kong (twice), Godzilla (twice), Amityville Horror, Halloween, Halloween II, Prom Night, When A Stranger Calls, Wicker Man, The Crazies, Nightmare On Elm Street, Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, House On Haunted Hill, The Hills Have Eyes, Psycho, House Of Wax, Cat People, The Fog, 13 Ghosts, The Thing, The Hitcher, The Omen, The Haunting, The Eye, Planet Of The Apes, 2001 Maniacs, Village Of The Damned, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Mary Riley (Jeckel & Hyde), The Wolfman, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Brom Stoker’s Dracula, House Of Usher, The Fly, Island Of Dr. Moreau, Willard, Last House On The Left, My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas, Friday The 13th, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rosemary’s Baby, The Ghoulies, The Orphanage, The Stepfather, Children Of The Corn, It’s Alive - HORROR MOVIE REMAKES CURRENTLY IN THE WORKS: Near Dark, Salem’s Lot, Terror Train, The Fury, It, Little Shop Of Horrors, Piranha, Angel Heart, Re-animator, The Howling, Hellraiser, They Live, People Under The Stairs, Shocker, The Thing (a third time!) Predator, Child’s Play, Motel Hell, Silent Night Deadly Night, Pet Cemetery, Mother’s Day, The Birds, The Funhouse, Total Recall, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Eyes Of Laura Mars, Scanners, Army Of Darkness, Poltergeist and The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

I'm sure I'm missing some but you get the point - seems like there's more remakes then good contemporary orginals....
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Love is like dying

some remakes are good.i liked hills have eyes remake better,they could bring back alot of b movies like basket case etc,but they can also ruin them.i prefer dawn of the dead original and i was angry they were going to remake that but i was shocked and suprised it was a good remake.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Evil is Better

I can only think of a few good remakes:

Dawn of The Dead
The Thing

.......That seems to be it. On the subject, To me The Thing is a perfect example of how to make a remake. They took the basic idea, kept some of it the same but made their own movie while paying homage to the original. They didnt just make something completely different and they didnt just do a scene for scene remake.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
The Thing

.......That seems to be it. On the subject, To me The Thing is a perfect example of how to make a remake. They took the basic idea, kept some of it the same but made their own movie while paying homage to the original. They didnt just make something completely different and they didnt just do a scene for scene remake.
Well it really went back to the source the material and took it from there.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Well it really went back to the source the material and took it from there.
Which is what i liked about it
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Love is like dying

john carpenters version was better than the original in my opinion,not taking anything away from the original.