Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-21-2006, 10:27 AM
The Dork Knight

:rolleyes: Whatever.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 AM
The Dork Knight

Re: How are old hprror movies best of all time?

Quote:
Originally posted by hulkamaniak

I watched some of psycho and i didnt understand how it was any good, since it took so long to get into, the killings didnt look good, and compared to movies now they werent as scary.

People had heart attacks watching Psycho. I'll admit I almost had one watching Boogeyman but for a completely different reason.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Backyard Waterfall

I want that coffee Despare is selling. Desp, I'll give you six grand if you sell it to me and no one else. Discard all other offers! I just gotta have that tasty coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
yeah classics suck sooooo bad. no wonder the films of today beat those old classics by millions, like house of the dead, house of wax, freddy vs jason, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Evil Dead

Re: How are old hprror movies best of all time?

Quote:
Originally posted by hulkamaniak
Can someone explain to me about how real old horro movies can be "the best horror movie of all time", im not trying to start an argument but. . .

I watched some of psycho and i didnt understand how it was any good, since it took so long to get into, the killings didnt look good, and compared to movies now they werent as scary.

I do realise they were good for there times, but how comparing it to movies of now can you say they are better, i mean if that exact movie was made now exactly the same, it would be very lowly rated, is it just the fact that it is original and was good for its time?

Thanks for anyone that explains
*sobs quietly*
Til one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere, and you've forgotton what shit even looks like.
Welcome to the Layer Cake, son...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Evil Dead

Okay, let me take a stab at answering this seriously...

First, let's lay the foundation: There is a natural tendancy among viewers to think that the films of their era are the best. Those youngsters cannot fathom why oldsters still like classics, and oldsters cannot understand why youngsters prefer contempoary "trash" instead of classics. Unfortunately, this leads to many pointless arguments.

As for your specific example, PSYCHO was a shocker in its day because it took traditional Gothic elements of horror films (the isolated location, the imposing old dark house) and used them in a modern comtemporary story that seemed more accessible and realistic to its audience. By "taking so long to get into" the story, it presented Marion Crane as the lead character, then shocked viewers by killing her off completely unexpectedly.

PSYCHO continues to be considered one of the best horror films because its craftsmanship and artistry have withstood the test of time: the film is well-made and convincing in a way that the vast majority of horror films are not, and the screenplay and performances invite a kind of audience identification that makes the film seem like a real movie -- not just an excuse to string together a dozen murders at eight-minute intervals.

Having said all that, I will admit that I was profoundly disappointed when I first saw PSYCHO -- the film's reputation is almost to great for it to live up to. But after you get over your expectations and actually watch what's there, you see that it really is a great movie, one that's worth watching again and again.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Banned

i agree that people tend to think that the time of their first exposure is the best era for film ... (nostalgia is a powerful thing)
but I'm an exception to that.

Most of my 1st experiences came in the 80's - which to me represents in general - the poorest time for horror films (thanhs to the home video boom)

To me the 70's will always represent the best time for horror - suited to my personal tastes. (i like the grainy gritty feel - and the common theme of helplessness in the face of conspiracy)

I can appreciate and respect the old Universal classics but they arent my favorites.

And i dont automatically hate everything new.. (although a more seasoned fan of any genre has to look hard to find a shred of origionality in a film after seeing countless 1000's of movies through the years)
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i agree that people tend to think that the time of their first exposure is the best era for film ... (nostalgia is a powerful thing)
but I'm an exception to that.

Most of my 1st experiences came in the 80's - which to me represents in general - the poorest time for horror films (thanhs to the home video boom)

To me the 70's will always represent the best time for horror - suited to my personal tastes. (i like the grainy gritty feel - and the common theme of helplessness in the face of conspiracy)

I can appreciate and respect the old Universal classics but they arent my favorites.

And i dont automatically hate everything new.. (although a more seasoned fan of any genre has to look hard to find a shred of origionality in a film after seeing countless 1000's of movies through the years)
I was gonna reply to this thread, but then I saw this. it's kinda like a card. it says what I was gonna say, but it's not my words.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Evil Puppy

I have watched movies before my time that have become a favorite film after the first watching. Nastoliga I'm sure is A reason but it surely isn't the only reason. Sometimes a movie is great no matter the time period.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:23 AM
Banned

nostalgia is usually a reason for really liking a film that you probably wouldnt otherwise like that much..