Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I Am Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I was? I way just stating I didn't agree. Chill out...
????? My remark was actually done quite calmly. Sorry if you read it any other way dude. Moving along now. Remake while they can be good should really not be made as often. Its not introduce a new generation? I'm sorry I didnt realize they were not capable of watching the original.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Misanthrope

I guess by "fresh" aprilc1 was meaning the originals aren't forgotten about and become more widely known to those who were perhaps unfamiliar with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
There are so many worthy projects that are passed over because they can't get funding, yet a crappy, by the numbers remake will always get the go ahead.
To be fair this happens a lot regardless of remakes. Studios and audiences dig by the numbers art in general so that's what gets made while original and challenging stuff gets put on the back burner because it's more of a risk financially.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Some of the older movies ....not all...SOME....could benefit with a remake...i.e The Thing

then there's the bad ones...i.e. The Fog
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Undead

Sometimes the repeat magic works, but not often

Once in a while, a remake comes across very well, as in John Carpenter's "The Thing", much more faithful to Campbell's original "Who Goes There?" story. That remake I'd say is by far the best ever.

The original "The Fly" had this excellent sense of suspense and mystery (faithful to the original story) where the press is set to zero clearance, two cycles were activated, etc. and this really added to the story. And who can forget that horrible Hedison-head fly?

The sequel w. Goldblum was fun, but even though it was more graphic, it really wasn't more scary.

There have been some pretty entertaining Dracula and Frankenstein remakes, with I'd say the Coppola Dracula being by far the best.

And then there are classics that simply cannot be improved upon, like King Kong.

I'm not against remakes per se, but it takes a lot of effort and care to outdo the original, in most cases.

Oh, and may those who tried to remake The Wicker Man please burn in hell, suffering the same fate as those who screwed with The Manchurian Candidate.

I agree with others that a principal objection to remakes is that it takes money away from new and fresh projects.

Last edited by katdad; 09-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Misanthrope

I never braved watching The Wicker Man remake. Sounded to painful :)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
horrormovies.com veteran

Send a message via AIM to DeadKlown
i was born in 1984 which happens to be something i don't have any control over. there are way too many movies for me to have seen that were made before then. i try to watch as many of the "classics" as i can when i have time. for example i have not seen the original wolfman but i liked the remake. yes i understand the whole remake thing and fanboys...you think the original is being tainted but its not. its simply being retold almost in the same way urban legends and myths are retold and slightly changed. another comparison would be geeks who say windows xp will always be better than vista or 7. change and the updating of things is inevitable and i for one welcome it
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Cranky

I wonder why nobody says "Let's rewrite The Tell-Tale Heart" or "Let's repaint Starry Night" ... they're so old and nobody today can relate to them.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Banned

My first born son shares the same name as me....so in essence

I'm a remake
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I never braved watching The Wicker Man remake. Sounded to painful :)
It was God awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I wonder why nobody says "Let's rewrite The Tell-Tale Heart" or "Let's repaint Starry Night" ... they're so old and nobody today can relate to them.
GOD there are moments where I just simply love you madly for your snide remarks. <3

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Guys, I got this cool idea. Why don't we rewrite "The Tell-Tale Heart"??

It needs updating...the characters need cell phones. You know, like, "'Bitches!' I shrieked, into the cell phone. 'I did it, you muthas! Tear up the planks, you muthas! You can all bite me or my dark variant!'" I think we have a weiner.

Friend....gooooood!