Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Evil Dead

Shadow Warrior...that was 3d-realms er...samurai shoot-em-up kinda deal huh?
I pleyed a bit of that, it was an interesting change, and good fun too.
As for HEXEN and Heretic, I still to this day don't know which is which...I mean, I know one was a sequel to the other or something along those lines, but then they each had their own sequels too?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

i believe it was hexen, then heretic..

and yep re. shadow warrior ..
it was like an asian duke nukem .. lots of wisecracking.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

I'm a big FPS fan. Starting with Wolfenstein...then Doom...Duke Nukem,Shadow Warrior,Blood,Quake, Hexen, Rise of the Triad, Half Life 1 & 2 Delta Force, Call of Duty,...I'm sure I forgot a few....next gen....FEAR,Rainbow Six......

My list

Pong
Pac Man
Doom
Duke Nukem
Quake
Half Life
GTA 3
Warcraft
Elder Scrolls 3 Oblivian
Gears of War
FEAR
Rainbow Six Vegas

the last three because thats what i'm currently playing and all are excellent.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Evil Puppy

Probably couldn't just list 10 but here's 10 off the top of my head that I loved.

Earthbound
FF3 (6 in Japan)
Tetris
Halo
Half Life
Resident Evil
Super Firepro Wrestling X Premium
Super Smash Brothers
The Legend of Zelda
Daggerfall
Old 01-08-2007, 02:22 AM
For Vendetta

hm...its tough to choose 10 out of SO MANY that I just love and adore...but lets give this a shot :-

01 - F.E.A.R.
02 - Half-Life
03 - Far Cry
04 - Syphon Filter
05 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein
06 - Deus Ex
07 - Kingpin
08 - Clive Barker's Undying
09 - Silent Hill
10 - The Punisher
11 - Grand Theft Auto
12 - Tomb Raider
13 - Serious Sam
14 - Resident Evil
15 - Max Payne
16 - Quake
17 - Doom
18 - Super Mario Bros
19 - Need For Speed
20 - Contra

Oops...thats 20...:p Seriously though, several more are coming to mind so I better stop before it becomes a more longer list.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
Vandal Hearts (PS1) (BEST Fuckin' RPG EVER!)
Sweet! This was the first PS1 RPG I ever played, and it still sticks out in my mind today. I just loved the huge geysers of blood when you killed an enemy. It's too bad that the sequel was so crap.

1. Silent Hill 2 - I offer this as an argument to anyone who says that video games are just for kids and/or have no story. One of the most compelling and disturbing games ever made, and definitely the pinnacle of the series.

2. Final Fantasy 6 - No matter what you may think of what the FF series has become, this one stands as a great game. Wonderful ensemble cast, brilliant story, and the most despicable, frightening villains ever seen. Sephiroth has NOTHING on Kefka.

3. Xenogears - Another of the great PS1 era RPGs, it explores themes of childhood trauma, racism and genocide with a grace rarely seen in video games.

4. Chrono Cross - What if there was another you, living in another dimension? What if the other you had died? And here's the kicker: what if it turned out that that would have been for the best?

5. Fatal Frame 2 - The Fatal Frame series is hands-down the most terrifying series I've played. Unlike other horror games, your character has no defenses outside of a rickety old camera, which really contributes to the sense of peril. I give 2 the edge over the first one due to improved gameplay mechanics and the devastatingly tragic story.

6. Starcraft - THE RTS game. There's a reason that people still play this, nearly ten years after its release.

7. Diablo 2 - Nothing very fancy here, just a very fun hack and slash game. It's a timesink like no other.

8. Fallout - post apocalyptic goodness.

9. Resident Evil 2 - Undoubtedly the best of the series. Gruesome monsters, awesome weaponry, and gameplay that has yet to be surpassed in this series.

10. Super Mario World - Do I really need to say anything here?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Fear scented candle

I looked through this thread and was surprised to see i hadnt written anythign yet...

Half-Life:
I worked almost as hard to play this game as Valve did to make it. The story surrounding it is long and sad, but in the end, I got to play it on an upscale system (for the time), and it finally merged story and action in a way I had never experienced before. It is still a high watermark for gaming and storytelling in my book.

Half-Life 2:
Although the storytelling wasn’t quite as masterful as the first, it was still excellent, and the gravity gun is the coolest thing in gaming, ever (until portal comes out )

Doom:

THE classic shooter. Introduced me to the concept of technology meeting horror. The atmosphere was always great, from the futuristic bases, to the hell levels with wood paneling and human skin stretched out for decoration. Teleporting bad guys added a new level of paranoia for me, because just because you killed everyone in a room, it didn’t meant that NON One could still sneak up behind you.

Quake:
Quake is still a magical game for me. It took computer games from a hobby to an obsession with me. It fueled a story line that I have yet to finish (Gloom), and was the first game to show any kind of real physics. (in my world, anyway). The dark, techno-goth design left a lasting impression on me, and it is STILL the game I go back to for a lot of inspiration. Plus, it is the only game on earth with sounds provided by the great Trent Reznor :D

Super Mario Bros 3:
When I was in 10th grade, I would go to my friend’s house, and we would drink mountain dew and play SMB3 until 4 in the morning, no matter how many times we beat it. It always sparked my imagination for some reason, and the game play was incredible.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
Probably because I grew up with Indiana Jones movies, but Nazi+Occult = gold in my book. RTCW is probably one of the first games to ever influence my dreams… The X-labs levels stuck with me for a long time. Nazis fighting zombies… Mechanical nazi-storm troopers… the best flame thrower effects I have seen to date… I simply love it.

FEAR:
Scariest, game , EVER. This is probably my favorite game of the last 2 years, even beating out HL2. It is an atmospheric masterpiece. I remember reading the review in PC Gamer (which is why I ended up begging for it) where they said Yes, the alma character is clearly ripped off from Samara, but after she scares the shit out of you the first time, you stop caring. This is the first game that moved away from the “I’m getting chased down the hall” fear and the “something is right out there and going to get me” fear and set up the “holy shit, how do I escape this!? she’s gonna get me AHHHHHH!!!!” fear. On top of that, it handles the “Bullet time” thing even better than Max Payne, and requires a bit more than just run and gun (although you can if you want too) great physics, incredible graphics, imaginative gameplay, awesome story line, creative world, and the hands-down BEST ending ever. It beats most movies, its that good. Imagine the end of the Usual Suspects, only it leaves you terrified, gaping at your screen.

Counter Strike:
“Games that qualify as obsessions for 1000, Alex”. If you totaled up the hours I played counter-strike between my former job and the time I was single, I probably could have written a novel, several screenplays, and would have a body of short stories to put Poe and Lovecraft to shame. But I didn’t. Instead, I spent a huge chunk of my mid-20s pwning n00bs with my awesome p-90 and m-43 skillz. I rocked at that game and LOVED it, was in the top 5 of my clan often. It’s fitting that while playing this game, my average alcohol consumption tripled. I guess it is good I don’t play very often any more….

Tomb Raider:
Cheese-wedge boobs aside, Tomb raider was the best puzzle game ever. The Doppleganger level still sits with me as one of the most imaginative things ever.

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion:

Laugh all you want, this was an awesome game for the Sega Genesis. It was definitely a labor of love for the developers, and it always made me think of childhood daydreams of being in worlds made of candy, and shrunk down to the size of a bug.
It has provided fuel for a novella/adult fairy tale (which, incidentally, was originally conceived to be a mod/video game plot)
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Evil Dead

I really like ALL of the "illusion" series...2player world of illusion with donald and mickey was very cool...having to help eachother out, the co-operative play was great.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Aura.N

I dont know the order but:

Doom 3 (PC)
Heroes 3 (PC)
Left 4 dead (PC)
Silent Hill 2 & 3 and Origins (PS2)
Siren Blood Curse (PS3)
Mario Party 3 (Gamecube)
Monkey Island: Escape From The Monkey Island (PC)
Half life 2 (PC)
Zork Grand Inquisitor (PC)
Need For Speed: Carbon (PS2)
Fallout 3 (PS3)
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Final Fantasy Six
Street Fighter Two
SoulCalibur 3
Civilization
Baldur's Gate 2