Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
Quote:
Originally posted by azathoth777
Goth , not goth, how cares. Personaly I hate it when people call me 'goth'. Yes, I dress mostly in black and like Sisters Of Mercy and Christian Death. Big deal, I'm much more then the clothes I wear and the music I listen to. Labels are terrible because the just pigeonhole you into a certain style or such, and everyone thinks they know all about you because of that label.
i think the music sucks and the cloths are terrible looking , but like you said that does not give people the right to put a lable on you just because you look the type.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Re: Re: Re: What is Goth?

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
how do you feel about the people who label themselves ?
Someone want to label others or me? Fine, go ahead, totally your perogative. Where would dirty jokes be without labeling people into easily definable groups. I do it all the time. Love a good, offensive, nasty, racist joke.

But labeling yourself just seems like a desperate act; like you know yourself just well enough to drop the whole of you into a category.

Go ahead, limit yourself. Makes it easier for others to pick on you.

and to STE - the Asians really are better at math than literature - that and playing the violin - and the ole chop-sockey

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 08-17-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
What is Goth?? Erm...lemme think. I know what it isnt if that helps? It's NOT an upcoming horror movie :P

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Undead

First of all, you cant escape a label. Don't dress and act like a monkey unless you want to be called one.
Second, STE, Real goth girls do put out, just not to every guy.
Third, if you dont like the post in this topic, I apologize, but I have seen other posts that do not fit as well.
Fourth, I feel as though everyone here got the impression that I am goth. Not true, you couldnt pick me out of a crowd for liking for horror movies and listening to Sister of Mercy or whatever, because I understand what the modern perception of goth is and wish to avoid the association. My adivice the everyone else is if you want to avoid the role, dont audition.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Demeter
First of all, you cant escape a label. Don't dress and act like a monkey unless you want to be called one.
thats the exact thing i was going to say ..

a lot of people actively - conciously - seek out that label. they want to be associated with what it represents.

it goes for rockers/rude boys/hippies/70's metal rockers/soccer moms/yuppies/preppies/punks/rastas/ravers/

fuck the list is endless.
'sure some people pick and choose from the music/fashion/venacular that defines these factions of pop culture (THE LABEL) but if anyone thinks for one second that the majority of people DONT want to be associated with what the uniform they wear represents then you're fucking brain-addled.

kids have always gravitated towards things that will give them an identity - peers - commonality.

the ones that puzzle me are the ones who take great lengths to look a certain way .. and then say .. 'pardon me - i'm not a _____'

ok ... maybe you arent - whatever - you sure want to look like one. So does that make you a fake one ?

personally i never found a niche that called to me .. i listen to absolutely everything ... i never used the popular 'slang of the day' ... i dress the way i did when i was 5 years old (tshirt - jeans - sneakers)

my criteria is that they fit .. and darker colours - because they are slimming.

i'm too far down to earth to invest any time in trying to be a member of a fringe group .. unless there is an identifiable fringe group made of people who ignore trends as frivilous and unworthy of the money/energy/dedication it takes to maintain the facade.

in short - i couldnt be arsed.

but i think its healthy for kids to experiment if they want .. its part of the growth process ... adults doing it ... hmmm .. well ... to each their own i guess.

i've always believed that you build character from the inside. trying to do it from the outside is a pretty sad substitute.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Evil Dead

What annoys me is when someone is a goth, or a grunger or emo and they say they are like that because they want to be individual. They even go as far to say phrases like "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same".

They are so hipocritical, how are they individual and different, when they all dress the same and look the same?! Goths etc look the least individual than ANYONE else.

If they know that they arent individual for being in a group then fair enough, but when they act like they are individual and the rest of the world isnt, then they must seriously be lacking some brains.

I dont belong to any group, because I dont feel I can be pigeon holed as I really am individual, and my own person.

(Of course no offense to anyone, I have nothing against goths or anyone else for that matter. :))

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.

Last edited by XtRaVa; 08-18-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Undead

Thank you for understaning my point about perpetuating stereotypes, and the lame excuses for doing it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to azathoth777 Send a message via Yahoo to azathoth777
Quote:
Originally posted by The Demeter
Second, STE, Real goth girls do put out, just not to every guy.
Third, if you dont like the post in this topic, I apologize, but I have seen other posts that do not fit as well.
Fourth, I feel as though everyone here got the impression that I am goth. Not true, you couldnt pick me out of a crowd for liking for horror movies and listening to Sister of Mercy or whatever, because I understand what the modern perception of goth is and wish to avoid the association. My adivice the everyone else is if you want to avoid the role, dont audition.
So I should change the way I dress and the music I like so I can avoid being labeled? That's a bunch of shit. Perhaps others should not be so quite to judge people by looks. I don't 'audition' for a role, and am not a monkey. I like what I like and will not change that for anyone, and if you do that's sad.
And if you're not goth, why do you even care?
i demand and expect quality.
right now, once and for all.
quality time.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Evil Dead

I think this thread should end. It's only going to cause arguments :(

I for one don't have anything against anyone, goth or not (well maybe chavs :P). I think having lots of different types of people is what makes a society, and when we all learn to accept everyone for who they are the better.

I really dont see any need to discuss this any further, like I said it can just cause arguments, or cause people to get offended....which is definately not what we are here to do. We are a community who like horror movies, and as long as we dont for instance; murder people...who cares how we look/dress and what music we listen to? :P

Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
it goes for rockers/rude boys/hippies/70's metal rockers/soccer moms/yuppies/preppies/punks/rastas/ravers/
You forgot perverted old men,