Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Tom Piccirilli

Sounds like it could be "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to evil_deadman
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Piccirilli
Sounds like it could be "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood.
That could be right..i have it as wellin an old anthology,but its been a long time since i read it, so i forgot the storyline.,but yea.that does sound like it could b it

Not to change the subject,but has anyone who has read Algernon Blackwood ever read "Lenigen vs the ants"?.i think that was the title of it. Its not exactly horror. More sci fi or action elements in it, but a hell of a story nonetheless!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 AM
eden

update

I've checked out all Ramsey's Campbell's "The Darkest Part of the Woods", Cobb's "Fishhead" and Blackwoods' "The Willows" - none of them are the one I'm looking for. If I remember correctly, the story is told in first person and the narrator/protagonist is the only character. So far, Cobb comes the closest in style.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Wendigo06

I think is an Algernon Blackwood story but its not The Willows. The story i mean is in "Best Ghost Stories of Algernos Blackwood" The plot is exactly as described but i dont remember the title. I will look for it and post it.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 PM
eden

Thanks - when you post I'll look for it.

Eden
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Just out of curiosity, what did you think of Fishhead? Too bad it wasnt what you're looking for, but did you enjoy it?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
eden

Actually, I liked it a lot. Not so much as a horror piece, but I used to spend a lot of time out on Florida rivers in my kayak and thought the descriptions of the landscape were really evocative. I'm usually a big fan of the unforseen ending, but a story like this proves that even when you know where you're headed, a good writer can make the journey worthwhile. My favorite - "all the riffle and dunnage of a quiet eddy." I used to spend a lot of time floating over a big crystal spring with sunken trees, watching the fish and pairing them up in a sort of aquatic dating service. When I got bored with that I'd just watch the water spin things around. Weird but true.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Wendigo06

The Blackwood story is "Ancient Lights". Is about a walker who is a surveyorīs clerk looking for a little wood that a client want to cut down to have a better view.
He found it and decided to walk througt it for a short cut to the clientīs house. He inexplicably got lost and in his head he heard "No, itīs not his wood. Itīs ours". He saw strange visions, got scared, run, tumble, just to end up in the same place, with the bushes and trees closing in, and then a few more vague visions.
Iīm not gonna spoil the ending. I think this may be your story.
Hope i helped !!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:35 PM
eden

I read it, but it's not the one I'm looking for. I appreciate your help though.

The more reread some of my husband's Lovecraft anthologies, the more I realize that the story was definitely in the Lovecraft vein - lots of atmosphere and a deep sense of foreboding. I don't remember that the ending was spelled out, but you knew that the protagonist was beyond saving just by the description of the place.

Thanks for the lead.