Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyMyers View Post
The movie wasnt half as good as the book. And im a fan of the movie. Its just the book thats so good. I like to consider it two entirely separate movies that have the same name. Still wish the complete adaptation of the book made its way onto the big screen though.
I understand what you mean. I definitely liked the book better but still felt that the movie was great in its own right. I think we can all agree that the t.v. adaptation they came out with was complete crap even though it was closer to the book.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieDrone View Post
Kubrick is a very polarising director and some people find his work very sterile and clinical (not me, I love him, he's one of my favourites) not to mention that film is very different to King's book (King disliked it for the same reason) but I also think it's a great film.
What is your favorite Kubrick movie? A Clockwork Orange for me!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Evil Dead

2001 is my favourite.

Yes it's pretentious but on a technical level it's staggeringly impressive. It's barely aged! Not to mention the really ambiguous ending. I love it when films leave you with unresolved questions.

Shining spoiler alert!

That's actually one of the few things I didn't like about The Shining. I thought the ending spelt it out too much about the Overlook being haunted whereas I think it should've been left to the audience to decide whether that was the case or Jack had just gone crazy.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Little Boo

Cool

I agree completely with saw and final destination, it is just really really repetative :S seems more like a list of all the different ways people can get killed.

One that let me down a bit majorly was paranormal activity, rated really well but was the worst horror film ive ever seen :l and the only movie ive actually wanted money back for as it seemed a complete waste of time.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
What is your favorite Kubrick movie? A Clockwork Orange for me!
The only Kubrick film i like. One of my favorite movies.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Evil Dead

Best Kubrick movie and imo the best film ever is Dr. Strangelove. It's so funny, but scary in a way too. Great characters, great cast...Dr. Strangelove all the way.

Shining is my second favorite and as far as the end, I def think he went crazy. There are a lot of ways to interpret that photo. I'm not sure it definitively says either way whether it was a strict haunting or insanity.

Last edited by Tangleduponblue; 01-18-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Scares Little Kids

I honestly hated The Exorcist. I can watch cheesy horror movies; they're entertainig. I thought this movie was funny, but not in a good way if that makes any sense?

I love movies about exorcisms, and I know that this is considered a classic but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I heard stories about how terrifying a movie it was and was expecting something pretty scary but was super dissapointed. I think for it's time it may have been scary, just not in this generation so much.

Not saying it's a bad movie, I just personally didn't like it.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangleduponblue View Post
Best Kubrick movie and imo the best film ever is Dr. Strangelove. It's so funny, but scary in a way too. Great characters, great cast...Dr. Strangelove all the way.

Shining is my second favorite and as far as the end, I def think he went crazy. There are a lot of ways to interpret that photo. I'm not sure it definitively says either way whether it was a strict haunting or insanity.
Dr. Strangelove would definitely fall into my third favorite, so as it goes here are my top five favorite Kubrick movies:

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. The Shining
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Believe it or not, Eyes Wide Shut

I know you are all saying how could I choose Eyes Wide Shut over 2001: A Space Odyssey. Look, Eyes Wide Shut had more ambiance to it, more intrigue, more Kubrick than any of his others, I love it.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Misanthrope

Eyes Wide Shut has some amazing scenes but it's quite messy. I think I'd like it more if it didn't have Kidman and Cruise in it. Terrible actors Kubrick must've been ripping his hair out dealing with those two. The scene with Kidman smoking a joint is one of the most laughably SHIT performances to ever hit the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirenz View Post
I love movies about exorcisms
...but you hate The Exorcist? Weird. For me I think aside from The Exorcist that subgenre is rubbish.

I didn't think it was scary at all till I saw in on the big screen where it kicked my ass and made me really unsettled. It really did deserve the Oscar for best sound... it was incredible in the theatre and tripped me right out.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Scares Little Kids

Some of the movies I liked a lot, I'm really interested in real stories of that stuff though. Not sure if I believe in it but I think it's kind of fascinating. I know about the real story The Exorcist was based on, which is pretty creepy, I just didn't like the movie of it