Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
So this is like a remake of the thai film from a few years back? .
Yes it is.

"Viy 3D" (2014) 7-8/10

A very well made russian/american fantasy in the vein of "The Brothers Grimm" and Burtons "Sleepy Hollow". Sadly the story drags a bit in the last third and the ending is just a complete anticlimax compared to the original version from 1967. But it DOES contain a lot of good stuff as well.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Evil Sweat

The Hobbit (extended cut)

+Better than I expected.
Beautiful locations and special effects.
For a 3 hour movie it didn't bore me.

-Again with the eagles at the last second. Use them from the start or don't use them at all.
Decapitations without blood (or any kind of fluid) are kinda silly.
The singing bits were unnecessary and a bit childish.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
ventricle

Gonna keep this short...

Ender's Game - 8/10

Good cast, a fair short interp of the book.

Gravity - 6/10

I was surprised at the sparseness of the plot. It was late night when I saw the movie; and that may be the worst time for most to see a film like this. This is a big screen film. And one has to bring one's full awareness to experience the film.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
"The Apparition" (2012)
-Ashley Greene
Plot:
A young ccouple is haunted by a supernatural presence unleashed during a college experiment

Phantoms Review: This film commits the cardinal sin of horror films. ...it isn't scary. Not in the least, the film tries to be an old fashioned ghost story loaded with atmosphere, but there is absolutely no pay off. It's a really dull film. The only thing going for it is leading lady Ashley Greene, who is very hot, outside of that don't waste your time.
This is pretty much what I thought too. Ashley Greene is the only reason to check it out. And then stop watching a few minutes after she has that shower scene and walks around in her undies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I didn't hate the 90' NOTLD, but of course it was far inferior to the original, for the reasons you stated, although I think 'love and humanity of the very real characters' is a bit of a stretch to describe the original. One mistake the remake made is toughening up Barbara. Some people complain about how brittle Barbara is in the original, but I think that serves the story and atmosphere perfectly. She is a nervous wreck, and her hysteria gives the movie almost a sense of panic, an edge because it makes the situation all the more fragile. Plus her screaming is great. One of the great scenes of horror is Barbara screaming as the zombies take her away.
I like the stronger Barbara but I like the original too. Both are good. Fans should check the other Horror forum for another version of the 90s NotLD.

------

Lights Out (short film) -

I think there is a short film area around here. But it wasn't getting much activity. And Lights Out is so short that people should check it out.

In many ways, this is again one of those stupid behavior movies. Remember this -

Eddie Murphy foul language warning!!!

I too would be gone. But. And a big but. Lights Out is good. It got me. It's scary. I saved it. It reminds me of a time I'm sure I was near a ghost. It gives me shivers now just thinking about it. But unlike this lady I stayed under the sheets. I probably should have left. I can't remember clearly why I didn't. It was late. Maybe I wasn't sure because I've been in the presence of ghosts a few times and it's spaced by a lot of time in between. But the feeling is always the same. It's one of those familiar feelings that don't happen a lot yet when you realize it you know. I felt the presence of the ghost above me until I passed out. I should be brave and old enough now to confront one. But you never know.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Part 1, 2 & 5) - Slight Viewing Revelation -

These are on cable now. And watching a bit of each, mostly Part 1. I realized something. That I've never seen these movies uncut before. Except for Freddy vs. Jason. But after watching the original Nightmare on Elm Street, I realize that Freddy vs. Jason doesn't really count. Yes, I saw them when I was young. But all this time I stayed away from watching these. I think that first movie really scared me to death. In the first movie, I didn't know that there was a slight nude scene when Freddy pulls Nancy under the water in the tub. And it's like being under a frozen lake which is scary. Also, the amount of blood in the death scenes. The music also picks up and reflects the amount of terror and panic the characters are in when Freddy shows up. I want to watch the whole series the right way that I do with horror now but part of me is worried. Do I put myself through that? Childhood fears can mess with you. Kind of like that line that major asshole teacher says in Friday the 13th Part 8.

Storage 24 -

This is one of those movies that probably sounded good on paper or in some kind of committee. Alien in a storage facility! But what it is, is boring. And a example of why a bad CGI alien will never come close to a Practical alien. The mouth on the Alien in Storage 24 is creepy. But other than that it's the usual. Funny how the creatures in movies like Alien, Aliens, and Predator still hold up.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Also the min characters psychic gift. Why did he have it? Was it just to make him more interesting? It didn't come in handy at any time in the movie. He did't even bothered to tell his friend who would die in war maybe not to join the army. A real pal.
After he saves Eve (the pregnant wife of Nick) from Lillith, Tobin Bell's character - Seth tells Eve: "Why do you think that he touch someone & see their terrible deaths? Because, Nick...is the son of terrible deaths!" :shocked:

I don't think the guy who would die in the war wasn't a friend of Nick, he somehow hears about Nick's special gift & request Nick's friend Ryan to have some drinks with them at the bar & while celebrating Nick's birthday he requested Nick to do his psychic thing just for once.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
After he saves Eve (the pregnant wife of Nick) from Lillith, Tobin Bell's character - Seth tells Eve: "Why do you think that he touch someone & see their terrible deaths? Because, Nick...is the son of terrible deaths!"
Oh, that's pretty cool. Totally missed that.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 PM
That fucking Guy...

The Raid 2.
Won preview tickets, well the wife did anyway.

I really liked the first one, was looking forward to see some more brutality visited upon various people - and I got that in spades. Some of the longest, most well coreographed, and brutal fight scenes I've ever witnessed - if I can say that moreso than the first one, you'll know what I'm talking about. \
They out-do it.

Bit more "story" this time, not sure if that was to the benefit or detriment of the overall movie, perhaps it was on account of the amount of "foreign" names of the characters that sometimes I found it hard to follow who was being referred to.
Little bit of a Shakespeare vibe to the overall plot.

I think, that while it's technically a better film with more action and plot, the first one succeeded greatly on the feeling of isolation and desperation, had a touch more atmosphere - but whatever the second one lacked in some areas, it more than made up for with others.

It's tense, it's crazy, it has fight scenes that just look so damn painful...oh, and one hell of a great car chase scene.

I'd give the first raid a 9/10, this one's a solid 7.5.
I like the first one better, but for personal taste.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Evil Sweat

Anchorman 2: The Supersized R-rated version
Good sequel. Quite hilarious if you like this sort of humour.
I'm glad I watched this version instead of cut one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
The Raid 2.
Won preview tickets, well the wife did anyway.

I really liked the first one, was looking forward to see some more brutality visited upon various people - and I got that in spades. Some of the longest, most well coreographed, and brutal fight scenes I've ever witnessed - if I can say that moreso than the first one, you'll know what I'm talking about. \
They out-do it.

Bit more "story" this time, not sure if that was to the benefit or detriment of the overall movie, perhaps it was on account of the amount of "foreign" names of the characters that sometimes I found it hard to follow who was being referred to.
Little bit of a Shakespeare vibe to the overall plot.

I think, that while it's technically a better film with more action and plot, the first one succeeded greatly on the feeling of isolation and desperation, had a touch more atmosphere - but whatever the second one lacked in some areas, it more than made up for with others.

It's tense, it's crazy, it has fight scenes that just look so damn painful...oh, and one hell of a great car chase scene.

I'd give the first raid a 9/10, this one's a solid 7.5.
I like the first one better, but for personal taste.
Good to hear, I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Evil Dead

I finally got around to watching John Dies at the End. It was a fun movie with a lot of great scenes. It was in my Netflix queue, but I hadn't been real keen to see it because it really bugs me when things try hard to be quirky, and John Dies At the End does look like it has that weirdness-for-the-sake-of-weirdness thing going on, but the movie did win me over. What worked was the humor, yeah it was a deliberately strange movie, but most of the weirdness was a setup for comic gags. That would have been a disaster if the gags weren't funny, but the movie had a lot of great inventive jokes and a good sense of comic timing. It slightly reminds me of Southland Tales, but Southland Tales had the critical flaw of taking its own strangeness seriously, so the oddness felt forced and the movie ended up coming off as pretentious.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I finally got around to watching John Dies at the End. It was a fun movie with a lot of great scenes. It was in my Netflix queue, but I hadn't been real keen to see it because it really bugs me when things try hard to be quirky, and John Dies At the End does look like it has that weirdness-for-the-sake-of-weirdness thing going on, but the movie did win me over. What worked was the humor, yeah it was a deliberately strange movie, but most of the weirdness was a setup for comic gags. That would have been a disaster if the gags weren't funny, but the movie had a lot of great inventive jokes and a good sense of comic timing. It slightly reminds me of Southland Tales, but Southland Tales had the critical flaw of taking its own strangeness seriously, so the oddness felt forced and the movie ended up coming off as pretentious.
Yes! John Dies At the End was great! It was smart and slick. I loved the whole movie, except for the end, especially when they see Thoras. The writer had the smarts to make a better ending, but the end was OK. I'd give 9/10.

Tags
movie