Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
For Vendetta

UPDATE

Received TWO entries from the Goblins - one via PM and one via email - and promptly forwarded them to the Judges.

Still waiting on THREE more Goblins. 24 hours left till the deadline expires.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
As is mine. Do you think anyone else is gonna do one this time Chrono or is is just going to be me versus you for the final? :D
I wouldn't mind some more competition, but let's face it - It's not like they could compete with US anyway. ;)

Can't wait to see your limerick - Good luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I wouldn't mind some more competition, but let's face it - It's not like they could compete with US anyway. ;)

Can't wait to see your limerick - Good luck!
Yeah were awesome :D

I'm excited to see yours as well. Good luck to you too.

Last edited by The Villain; 09-24-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM
For Vendetta

UPDATE

Less than 12 hours remain till the Deadline, and I still wait to receive from THREE more Goblins.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 AM
For Vendetta

And so the Deadline for the Goblins ticks over.

I now request all Judges to send me their Grades, after which the entries will be posted.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Again, I apologise. This week I've been SWAMPED. Was on the other side of the country on Wedneday, has College and then assisting with a parent's evening for a lower year in the evening, after which I had to make a curry for some Danish exchange visitors to the school. They came on Friday, which again, I had to stay late into the evening to assist with their stay. By the time I got home it was 11 and I had to be up for work at 6:00am, which I didn't finish until 3:00pm. THEN I was out at an 18th birthday party, then I was up for work at 5:00am today.

In short - my week has been fully booked :(
Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 AM
For Vendetta

THE SECOND TEST OF HDC IDOL II - THE GOBLINS

Write an effective limerick based on any vintage horror movie of your choice. (vintage = pre-Romero's Night of the Living Dead era)

Your limerick must capture the essence of the movie.

(limerick = 5-line meter in the rhyme scheme of a-a-b-b-a)

Chronogrl's entry -

Quote:
For this challenge I chose The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) - This is a film that is near and dear to my heart and when I think of "classic horror" as well as "films that introduced me to the genre," this is certainly one of them. It was one of my dad's favorite movies, and I would watch it with him over and over again... But what really sticks with me about this film isn't necessarily the nostalgia value - It always struck me, even as a young girl, as an incredibly and profoundly sad and hopeless tale - Here is a story of loneliness, of isolation, of literally being diminished to the point of irrelevance - Becoming smaller in (overwhelmed by) a world that cannot help or that does not care... This literal and figurative sense of being absolutely and uncontrollably overwhelmed by the world is the essence that I wanted to capture in my limerick:

Radiation has taken its toll
This shrinking I cannot control
It's not just that I'm tiny;
All my hopes have been stymied -
The world has swallowed me whole

Judge #1's verdict -

Quote:
A very good effort. Good rhythm. I would transpose the first two lines- introduce the character and the problem first, and the cause second.

Grade B

Judge #2's verdict -

Quote:
Inspired. Understands the point, captures the tone to a certain extent. Keep working and growing.

B

Judge #3's verdict -

Quote:
I give Chrono a B.

I like the fact that Chrono gave a little background as to why she chose that particular movie.

OVERALL GRADE - B.

The Villain's entry -

Quote:
A bomb was dropped
and a giant lizard popped
out of the ocean floor
to let out a roar
that said Godzilla cannot be stopped

Judge #1's verdict -

Quote:
The rhythm is off. The first 2 lines should match, in length. If you changed the first line to read "A bomb on Tokyo was dropped" it would scan better.

Grade C.

Judge #2's verdict -

Quote:
Arrhythmic. Doesn't really convey the feel of the movie, which is dead serious. Disappointing. But, I'm going to reward you with a higher grade for having the courtesy to submit something.

Villain, you get a C.

Judge #3's verdict -

Quote:
I give Villain a C.

OVERALL GRADE - C

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-26-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 AM
For Vendetta

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

For all the absentees of HDC Idol II so far,

Ogres -

Leezuki,

Horrorzack, and

Zombieness. (disappeared after the 1st Test)

Goblins -

The Return,

Nightmare of Death, and

Ferretchucker.

Our esteemed Judge #2 has something to say to all of you -

Quote:
All the rest of you have excuses and have things to occupy your time.

And that's fine. It's only a game.

But I'm editing a three hundred page book, preparing for a writing workshop and writing a bunch of things at once and I'm giving my time to encourage and help people that want to become better writers. If any of them are here.

Next time, I'd like HDC to give me a reason to devote my energy to this.

So, if any of you absentees are reading this thread, please start participating from the next Test onwards. If you confirmed your participation in the teaser thread, it is your duty to do so.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 AM
HDC Idol

Man - What does it take to pull out an A? Or even a B+? I was pretty damn proud of my entry. :mad:

I actually disagree with Judge #1 re transposing the lines - I feel as though "Radiation has taken its toll" would grab the Reader more than "The shrinking I cannot control;" I think that it's something that would make me want to read on - Introducing the "shrinking" first might be silly...

Regardless, thanks again to the judges who are putting their time in review and consideration.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 09-26-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
For Vendetta

THE THIRD TEST OF HDC IDOL II - THE OGRES

I am here to address the Ogres. Each one of you will be given a task which you have to perform to the best of your ability, wit and intellect, based upon the knowledge you have of the genre.

I will take this chance and request the absent Ogres - Horrorzack, Leezuki & Zombieness - to give an effort in this Test.

For this task, the common theme I have chosen is - HORROR DIRECTORS.

Here is your task, Ogres -

Think of a suitable and unique outline for a script, to be turned into a movie adaptation by any of these 5 renowned directors :-

Terence Fisher, James Whale, Brian De Palma, Tod Browning, William Castle.

Ogres - Despare, Roshiq, Zombieness, Horrorzack and Leezuki - put your thinking caps on and get to work.

You may research your chosen director's works, study their films, and frame your scripts according to their style of film-making. Remember, the script/film MUST be unique.

Once you are finished, please PM your entry to me, or send it via email to [email protected]. Do NOT post your entry directly in this thread.

You all have 96 hours, starting from NOW! All the best!