Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
[B]
Jug face (2013)

Interesting indie horror about a weird backwoods community who worships a pit(!) and The Pit Wants What It Wants! Expected more or a little twist at the end but it played safe with a simple ending.

>>: B

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012)

May be not for everyone but this is another good-spooky indie horror. With a great cast of voice actors, the film primarily focuses on a single character, Leon Leigh who returns to his old house after the death of his estranged mother only to discover that she had been living in a shrine devoted to a mysterious cult. Liked it for its simplicity & eerie atmospheric approach.

>>: B+
I watched Last Will and Testament last night, and also thought it was really well done. The only thing preventing me from totally loving it was that it took a long time for anything to happen, albeit there was plenty of creepiness while waiting. 7/10.

I watched Jug Face about a week ago, and ended up really liking it. It did a great job making me care about the characters, and was weird enough to leave an impression. 8/10.

A couple nights ago I watched:

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

Really strange film. Difficult to classify, but coldly Kubrickian in tone with some retro-sci-fi imagery. Nearly the whole film is nothing more than a string of unsettling audio/visual experiences, but what an experience it is. Very memorable, if you don't mind a really slow burn and an ambiguous storyline (or lack thereof). The final act becomes less surreal, and feels a little out of place, but maybe the director just needed something to actually happen.

8/10 for being a unique and we'll-executed standout.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

Really strange film. Difficult to classify, but coldly Kubrickian in tone with some retro-sci-fi imagery. Nearly the whole film is nothing more than a string of unsettling audio/visual experiences, but what an experience it is. Very memorable, if you don't mind a really slow burn and an ambiguous storyline (or lack thereof). The final act becomes less surreal, and feels a little out of place, but maybe the director just needed something to actually happen.

8/10 for being a unique and we'll-executed standout.
Couple of months back, I was planning to give it a watch but later totally forget about it somehow. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, hope to see it soon.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Wow - a film based on Sawney Bean. I always thought that would be a great subject.
The film didn't justify this evil legend at all. It gave more of a Wrong Turn like backwoods-hillbilly sort of treatment at the end. Gore was good though.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Evil Sweat

Event Horizon
One of the few sci-fi/horror movies I like.
Usually I can be bothered with movies about people on a spaceship, plane, boat,... But his is one of the few.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Evil is Better

Captain Phillips

Takes a bit to get to the good parts but once it doesn't its very suspenseful and exciting. Tom Hanks delivers an excellent performance.

Dallas Buyers Club

I never thought I'd say this but Matthew McConaughey should definitely win Best Actor

Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Evil Sweat

Mr. Magoo
Second time I watched this movie since it was released.
Not great but it has it's moments.
Only worth watching because of Leslie Nielsen. I miss that guy.

The Wrestler
Second time I watched this. Liked it better now.
Great soundtrack also.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
Nurse 3D 2014: Didn't like this one. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm a woman, but I just don't get Paz de la Huerta's sex appeal. I thought she did an awful job playing an awful character.
One of the worst performances I've seen in a horror film in a long time. Way too painfully over the top. That film could've really worked as a nice piece of black comedy if it was handled differently.

-----------------

Someone Marry Barry

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It had a great mix of crudity and your usual romantic story line cliches and didn't go overboard with either. Well worth a look if you're in the mood for a rom com.

We Are What We Are

I haven't watched the original so can't compare the two but I thought this was solid. I did expect it to be a bit more twisted and kind of expected a few more WTF moments but in the end I appreciated it's subtlety. A nicely shot and slow burning decent into the American gothic.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
We Are What We Are

I haven't watched the original so can't compare the two but I thought this was solid. I did expect it to be a bit more twisted and kind of expected a few more WTF moments but in the end I appreciated it's subtlety. A nicely shot and slow burning decent into the American gothic.
The original or the Mexican movie of the same title offers quite a different story. The only common thing is here is the theme of a cannibal family at the center. And I appreciate this approach...instead of showing the same thing in a different set up or timeline, here they just took the idea & gave it a different & subtle treatment in almost every area i.e. the characters, location & the crisis that the family is going through. I liked the Mexican version more though, as it was more engaging from the beginning and the story delivers some social commentary with a better ending. I like to recommend you to see that too, EC.

Last edited by roshiq; 02-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Banshee Chapter (2013)

Though it's definitely not as entertaining as Gordon's 80s classic but as a loose re-adaptation of Lovecraft's FROM BEYOND, I think it was decently made & occasionally creepy, considering the budget limitation & their effort to blend the idea with MK-Ultra drug experiments. This is not entirely a found footage flick, there were just some POV shots & some video footage of Govt. experiments. I kinda liked it.

>>: B

Mud (2012)

A beautiful coming-of-age drama with a backdrop of a great love story. Matthew McConaughey gives another stellar performance on the title role as a man on the run in Mississippi who hideout in a small island & befriends two boys, eventually talks them into helping him to fix 'a boat in the tree' while living in a dream to runaway with his former lover, Juniper (Reese Witherspoon). The cast was great and particularly the 2 young actors did a fantastic job which was much needed for a film like this that can make you feel nostalgic about the childhood & 80s kid-adventure flicks too.
After The Lincoln Lawyer & Killer Joe, I've now becoming a great fan of Mr. McConaughey; looking forward to see him in True Detective, Dallas Buyers Club & the upcoming Chris Nolan sci-fi flick Interstellar.

>>: A-

Last edited by roshiq; 02-25-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
After The Lincoln Lawyer & Killer Joe, I've now becoming a great fan of Mr. McConaughey; looking forward to see him in True Detective, Dallas Buyers Club & the upcoming Chris Nolan sci-fi flick Interstellar.

>>: A-
Don't forget Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation..

Tags
movie