Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
You're probably not going to get a lot of people to agree with you on your choices but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To be honest, i liked Evil Dead but i don't really get the big deal about it.
No, I'm fully aware of that. If a lot of people did agree with me on these movies then I wouldn't feel awkward about my opinions. And I, as much as anyone, understand being annoyed when people say that a movie I love isn't as good as I think it is. Recently I've just come to understand the debate over Alien and Aliens, which I both just recently viewed. I think Alien is amazing, a seminal work under any context, whereas I find after viewing Aliens that I don't find it on the same level of Alien and think that its acclaim is a bit exaggerated. I liked it, but I'm miffed that people make it out as better than Alien.

I guess my views on these classics makes me stand out, which is better than blending in. Unfortunately since they don't fit in with the general consensus, I worry that no one can take anything I have to say seriously even when I'm spot on with something.

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-27-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: No Spamming
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Cranky

If somebody told you McDonald's had the most amazing Burgers in the world, why would you believe what they had to say about Spago?

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluequiet View Post
No, I'm fully aware of that. If a lot of people didn agree with me on these movies then I wouldn't feel awkward about my opinions. And I, as much as anyone, understand being annoyed when people say that a movie I love isn't as good as I think it is. Recently I've just come to understand the debate over Alien and Aliens, which I both just recently viewed. I think Alien is amazing, a seminal work under any context, whereas I find after viewing Aliens that I don't find it on the same level of Alien and think that it's acclaim is a bit exaggerated. I liked it, but I'm miffed that people make it out as better than Alien.

I guess my views on these classics makes me stand out, which is better than blending in. Unfortunately since they don't fit in with the general consensus, I worry that no one can take anything I have to say seriously even when I'm spot on with something.
Who cares what people have to say about your opinions? Were horror fans man, which means were supposed to go against the grain. Be yourself and like what you want and don't be afraid to say you like something everybody hates or hate something everybody else loves.

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-27-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Removed Spam link from quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
If somebody told you McDonald's had the most amazing Burgers in the world, why would you believe what they had to say about Spago?
I would have to disagree that my feelings on the movies I discussed equate me to someone who holds McDonald's burgers as the best in American cuisine. What worries me is simply that people shut down too quick on others when they hear something they don't disagree with.

Thus when I voice my opinion, I fear the results I might get. Unfortunately they are still my opinions, and I like to think that I'm smart, so I voice them anyway despite my fears of being lumped into the "loves McDonald's hamburgers" group.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Cranky

It's an ANALOGY.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
It's an ANALOGY.
I know this.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Whip In My Valise

I love the way people are acting with hurt indignation before anyone has even said anything. That seems suspicious. *rolleyes*

Last edited by TheWickerFan; 09-28-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
What? Jaws is an amazing film! Each to their own I guess :)

Thats how a disagreement SHOULD go! Kuddos Elvis!:)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
I love the way people are acting with hurt indignation before anyone has even said anything. That seems suspicious. *rolleyes*

Well, which would you rather debate, my presentation of the movies I made comments about or the movies themselves? Honestly, the reason I act with hurt indignation before anything is said is I suppose I'm trying to skip the "you're an idiot" part of the interaction by admitting that I fear I am an idiot so that we can go right to the real discussion. Apparently my maneuver failed.

Like, for example, how do people honestly consider The Reflecting Skin a horror film. I think it's an intriguing and beautiful film, but if I'm judging it from a horror perspective I think it's kind of terrible.

Last edited by Bluequiet; 09-28-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post
Thats how a disagreement SHOULD go! Kuddos Elvis!:)
Isn't it a little more useful to discuss the topic further than just agreeing to disagree? Especially on a message board? If not, what is the point of a message board?

I don't want to simply say "to each his own", I want to ask why first. Then if I still disagree with the logic, it seems fair to say "to each his own".