Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
I am Norwegian. I really liked The Troll Hunter, among other things because it is rather different, it is like Blair Witch Projects meets Norse Mythology. It is nice to see a movie with trolls, as in the trolls that where part of Norwegian mythology, not little gremlins or Lord of the Rings trolls. Norway have a rich folklore and while this movie do twist and turn that folklore around quite a bit to try to form some sort of natural explanation for the trolls and so on it is still nice to see actual trolls used in film. I am also impressed by the special effects, for a small Norwegian movie production company that is really impressive. The acting is a bit lacking at times but the dialog are very fun.

Another reason why this movie resonates with me is that I live in Bergen, that is not that far from Hardanger, my hubby have family there, now for some time now our politicians want to put up high power cables in Hardanger, most of us from this part of the country however do not want that, those cables really messed up the nature at Dovre and we do not want it here, it is fun that the movie addresses this.

One more point before I end this post. You have probably heard the melody In The Hall Of The Mountain King, well there is a reason why that is on the soundtrack for this movie. In Norwegian that melody is called Dovregubbens Hall (The Hall of the Dovre man) That being said the mythology have shiften a bit and trolls and hulder have been mixed together, originally in Norwegian folklore Dovregubben was not a troll, he was king to the hulder. Now hulder in Norwegian folklore are creatures that look like human beings but they are active at night and sleep during the day and they have a cow's tail, they have supernatural abilities and are more like elves really than trolls.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Excellent - thanks for that...
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Whip In My Valise

I'm dying to see Troll Hunter.:)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
I'm dying to see Troll Hunter.:)
I must say I loved it...just very original and fresh..
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
I just have to go back and make a little correction to what I have said earlier, the play, as in Per Gynt that the In the Hall of the Mountain king was made for (Or rather it was made for something else but since it fit so well it was used for the play.) they do use the name troll, however the Old man of the Dovre, and his daughter clearly are hulder not trolls and in folklore there are a hunder king in Dovre named Dovregubben.

Thar being said the play Per Gynt make a good read and if you like fantasy it might be right up your ally.

Okey but for some more obscure movies:

Blindpassasjeren (Translation: The Stowaway) This is a three part Norwegian TV miniseries. It is about the crew of a spaceship returning home to Earth after their mission have ended. The crew have just come out of a limited form of stasis and as they go to eat breakfast they discover to their horror human remains in their waste disposal. Now the remains is impossible to identify but since all the crew is present and accounted for that means one of them is not who or what he or she claims to be. The series is more science fiction then horror, but it do have a certain creepy atmosphere.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@

Last edited by BookZombie; 02-21-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 AM
From The Beyond

Good to see mentions for silent scream if you like that you would also like Curtains Girl School Screamers, sweet 16 and Scream and scream again. Also I've seen Twins Of Evil-like that try Curse Of The Crimson Altar. Cthulhu (2007) Don't Look In THe Basement (diabolically bad though I liked the Sarge charcter)Visiting Hours, Unhinged, Cool Air, Shogun Assassin, The Slayer, Mulberry Street, Return To Horror High, The Dunwich Horror, The Brotherhood 2 (though avoid The Brotherhood 3 totally pointless film), Tomb Of Ligeia, Dream within a dream, The Lost Continent, Toxic Zombies (potheads get munchies eat everyone) Diabolik.

Has anyone seen Seven Deaths In The Cats Eye, All The Colours Of The Dark, Twice Told Tales, Matango, Delirium, Night School aka Terror Eyes, Nightmare Maker, The Case Of The Scorpions Tail, Blood Rites, The Lighthouse, The Shuttered Room or Plague Of The Zombies-I'm dying to see all these on my wishlist
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM

The Killer Eye. This movie is about a mad scientist who creates a microscope which allows someone to glance into another dimension, unfortunately when he pays a homeless man to be his test subject the eye the boy looks into the microscope with grow into a huge floating monstrosity which then go on to suck the electricity out of people's brains. This movie is horrible, but it is also good, cheesy fun.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post
I am Norwegian. I really liked The Troll Hunter, among other things because it is rather different, it is like Blair Witch Projects meets Norse Mythology.
BookZombie: Have you seen the Norwegian slasher/survival horror film called "Rovdyr"? I believe that's the title. I saw it a few years ago and although my Norsk is still pretty rudimentary, the film was awesome!

I can't wait to see Trolljageren!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Fearonsarms;886902

Has anyone seen Seven Deaths In The Cats Eye, All The Colours Of The Dark, Twice Told Tales, Matango, Delirium, Night School aka Terror Eyes, Nightmare Maker, The Case Of The Scorpions Tail, Blood Rites, The Lighthouse, The Shuttered Room or Plague Of The Zombies-I'm dying to see all these on my wishlist[/QUOTE]

The Colours Of The Dark - I presume you mean 'Colour from the Dark' - pretty solid version of the Colour out of space. I liked despite its flaws..

Twice Told Tales - Pretty decent Anthogy film with Vinnie price..,

The Shuttered Room - I liked this..

Plague Of The Zombies - Not one of my fav hammer films but the dead dream sequence is great..
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
From The Beyond

Oops I've already seen The Case Of The Scorpions Tail I shouldn't have included that.

Yes I meant the recent film version of Lovecrafts "Colour Out Of Space" I've heard mixed reviews but I'll get it I think. Yeah I'll see The Shuttered room as well it must be worth a look.

I just found out that that Blinkbox has "The Lighthouse" I'll watch that once I can face the annoying adverts you can't skip that they play. Anyone seen Summer Scars which they also have. I hope its not as bad as Mean Creek was.