Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1000 View Post
I thought that this was a Horror forum since when does Best Western have anything to do with horror?

DraculainDallas or Psychom will be with you momentarily. Just stay put and relax.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
I thought that this was a Horror forum since when does Best Western have anything to do with horror?
We dig talking about all sorts of films. If you can't handle that FUCK OFF

:)
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
no, this thread is not about the hotel.

I was trying to expand my horizons.

I had recently bought The Good The Bad And The Ugly and went absolutely crazy for it. I Watched it over and over, and over the past couple days I went on a search for more.

bought A Few Dollars More
Lee Van Cleef Double Feature: Beyond the Law & Death Rides A Horse
The Wild Bunch is on its way.

any suggestions? Im looking for GOOD westerns. i dont know if any can really compare with the GBU, but im trying to find out. any suggestions?

In case they haven't been mentioned yet (I didn't read all 111 replies) you might try My Name Is Nobody; Duck, You Sucker; Last Train From Gun Hill; Flaming Star. All are well worth your time.:)

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
no, this thread is not about the hotel.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufongtan. View Post
Theres a hotel down the road that reckons its the best western hahaha.
how bout reading the first post before making stupid jokes that Ive already made obsolete.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
All these pages and only ONE... I repeat ONE mention of Shane??

That's criminal.

For a strange and unusual story try The Traveling Executioner with Stacey Keach.
I agree. Palance gave one of the most understated(and briefest) villain portrayals in the genre. Sad to see he got ignored in the villain finals. His role in Bagdad Cafe is equally brilliant. And I'll always admire his loathing of the film industry.

The Traveling Executioner- excellent film, and one I need to rewatch. It's been a very long time.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Evil Dead

Latest western watched:

"Bandolero!" (1968)

-James Stewart. Dean Martin. Raquel Welch

Plot Synopsis: IMDB
Posing as a hangman, Mace Bishop arrives in town with the intention of freeing a gang of outlaws, including his brother, from the gallows. Mace urges his younger brother to give up crime. The sheriff chases the brothers to Mexico. They join forces, however, against a group of Mexican bandits.

Phantom's Review: Well made. entertaining movie. Decent story, plenty of action and Raquel Welch (who is absolutely gorgeous)
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
hmm it depends...its actually a bit slow by Eastwood-ian standards. But then, the tale is gripping, especially after the first 30-35 mins. Gene Hackman had given a really powerful performance.

Might as well check it out. But compared to the Leone trilogy, you may find it a bit slower.
Yea, but those last 15-20 minutes were one of the most awesome finales I've seen in many a western. The film builds up characters nicely, so I can forgive some of the draggier parts. More dimensions makes you care more about the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
If you plan on getting Django, look up its sequel too, Django Strikes Again. Although not as great as the original, its still a decent watch with lots of action, and the same central character, Franco Nero.
This was so-so to me. Some of the original Django knock offs were better IMO. But it did have some of the old timers in it. The Djangos were more popular than the Winnatous in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws the great View Post

You're right about Hang Em High.........it is a bit slow.
Had one(actually 2) of the best lynching scenes around. This was Eastwood's most successful US film for a long time until High Plains Drifter came along. I love it for that theme song, and a boatload of great actors- Pat Hingle(steals the show), Inger Stevens, Ben Johnson, Bruce Dern, Dennis Hopper, and even bits by Alan Hale Jr.(Skipper) and Bob Steele(way old school westerns). Ed Begley as the lead villain was the only prob for me. He was just too old to be forbearing enough in the part. A good western demands a good shootout ending, which wasn't provided here.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Evil Dead

Last western watched:

"A Man Alone" (1955)
-Ray Milland

A gunfighter, falsely accused of killing passengers of a stagecoach, hides out with a sick sheriff and his beautiful daughter.

Light on action, but a good story and some very good acting. Better than I expected
Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
im gonna go ahead and recommend Sukiyaki Western Django on this thread, not a traditional western by any means, but certainly one hell of a fun and well done film.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
im gonna go ahead and recommend Sukiyaki Western Django on this thread, not a traditional western by any means, but certainly one hell of a fun and well done film.
I watched this one a couple of nights back and dug it aswell.