Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Will you participate?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Evil is Better

Works for me

Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Those choices are fine with me, even though I love The Fog.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Midnight toker

So are we still trying to fill one spot for the 22nd?

If so then I think I have to go with The Fog. For me, Adrienne Barbeau as Stevie Wayne is what really sets this movie apart. Its such an innovative movie in the way that it uses her character. The scenes where Stevie, from her radio tower, directs the towns folk to safety are really clever. She becomes more than simply a character in the movie, she is almost an extension of the audience at this point, before then being dragged head long back into the movie when her radio shack is under siege. I can't really articulate exactly what it is about the way her character plays out, but for me, there is something really special about it.

That said, I'm not going to have any complaints if The Fog doesn't make it, there are plenty of solid films being backed that I certainly would be backing for honourable mentions myself if they don't squeeze into the final spot before. There are still one or two flicks I'd like to get behind for honourable mentions too that haven't had much backing yet, so I'm hoping there will still be a bit of room for debate once we nail on the 22nd film. :cool:
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
ventricle

As long as I've gone this far, I might as well be up front to the end. I think the Fog is a better film than The Beyond. I just saw Beyond recently. I can try to appreciate it as "a nightmare" (as it's often very illogical and disjointed), but I think the story and characters are very weak, as if just excuses for gore effects. There's creepy mood to it, but still not a very good film. I'm negging The Beyond, whether if makes any difference or not. Hopefully there's someone(s) out there who can back a better film, such as The Return of the Living Dead, Near Dark, Day of the Dead or Predator.

Last edited by Sculpt; 08-12-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Evil Dead

Agree.....

[edit] (Agreeing to the selected 22. Not to re-opening the debate or neg-voting The Beyond.)

Also, Sculpt, if I'm being honest, all the neg voting is starting to look like an abuse of that process element for the purpose of shaping the list to your personal tastes. Remember, this is all subjective. Some people love The Fog, some people don't. Some people enjoy a loosely-defined, non-linear format, some people don't get it. IMO, the decision to neg vote should be made with a good deal of discretion. I didn't use a neg vote during the 60s, when nobody except metternich was willing to drop even their 6th favorite film from a list already outside the top 22 for the decade, for the guy -- Mario Bava -- who made the first Italian horror film, the first slasher and created the template for J-horror, [edit:strikethrough (subjective)]and unlike some of the classics of that decade, his works holds up to this day[/edit]. That is not a matter of personal taste, and yet I still resisted. Seriously man, ease up a bit.

Last edited by Giganticface; 08-12-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: strikethrough subjective part of argument
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM
For Vendetta

All this is achieving is making everyone run in circles, and delaying the decision process. This project is already over-delayed as it is, and I really hope we have the sticky up before Halloween season kicks in. (hopefully!)

Plus, I think I'll put that ONE negative vote ruling into effect from now, even though there was a SECOND negative vote cast by the same member.

A THIRD negative vote is out of the question here.

It's pretty much abusing the liberty one is given, by negative voting those films which simply aren't to their likings or tastes.

Although, to be frank, even that negative vote for The Beyond won't affect it much, since it's still ahead of it's nearest competitors.

Unless someone else speaks against the film, it won't drop out of that 22nd slot anytime soon.

But, in the interest of fairness, I'll keep this open for 12 more hours. If things stand as they are right now, The Beyond will seal it's place in the Top 22 and we start working on our Honorable Mentions.

EDIT - Just went back to check the date when I bumped this dead & buried project to revive it. It was November last year!! My word, 10 months of decision-making! Should be some sort of a record, this.

Last edited by _____V_____; 08-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
... I really hope we have the sticky up before Halloween season kicks in. (hopefully!)
Ooh, good call. That would be great timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
EDIT - Just went back to check the date when I bumped this dead & buried project to revive it. It was November last year!! My word, 10 months of decision-making! Should be some sort of a record, this.
Dang, that's a lot of work you've put in. Much appreciated. I will say, I'm not complaining that it's been a long-running thread. It's by far my favorite thread on this forum. Although, at times it does seem to stagnate a bit, no fault of yours... Thanks for helping us power through it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Midnight toker

We're in the home stretch now. :cool:
Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Evil is Better

Come on everybody. Let's decide already

Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Cranky

I'll back The Beyond.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Closed Thread