Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Will you participate?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM
mostly ghostly?

Don't know if I'm doing this right, but I'd like to back The Changeling and The Beyond.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
For Vendetta

Welcome to the decision-making process, fort.

We have found our 22nd film, and it's The Changeling, which joins The Fog in the Top 22 list.

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...=57593&page=99

All in agreement or there's more scope for debate over the two films above?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Those two are fine with me.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I would have backed Near Dark, as I think it's a better film than either of the films I did back, but it wasn't in the right category.
Allow me to quote you again. I agree, I think Near Dark is a better film than The Fog. Much better actually.

I have to Neg The Fog - I'm a huge Carpenter fan, but the Fog is too flawed to be in the Top 22. To quote some Fog reviews that say it better than me, "dull collection of stock types whose illogical and frequently stupid actions are necessary to advance plot and generate what passes for suspense." and "Fairly dull ghost story occasionally given a boost by the cast and by Carpenter's proficiency with the genre." That's what I thought as well. It has major flaws and very mixed reviews. I don't think it's worthy to be in the Top 22. Carpenter is represented in the Top 22 with The Thing. I'm going to Neg The Fog, and see what happens.

I think The Return of the Living Dead (1985) and Near Dark (1987) are much more deserving. Even Carpenters' They Live and Christine were better, as is Day of the Dead and Predator.

Last edited by Sculpt; 08-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Allow me to quote you again. I agree, I think Near Dark is a better film The Fog. Much better actually.

I'm a huge Carpenter fan, and thought the Fog was OK, and had some nice features, but, to quote some reviews that say it better than me "dull collection of stock types whose illogical and frequently stupid actions are necessary to advance plot and generate what passes for suspense." and "Fairly dull ghost story occasionally given a boost by the cast and by Carpenter's proficiency with the genre." That's what I thought as well. I don't think it's worthy to be in the Top 22. Carpenter is represented in the Top 22 with The Thing. I'm going to Neg The Fog, and see what happens.

I think The Return of the Living Dead (1985) and Near Dark (1987) are much more deserving.
I completely disagree. It may not have been his most brilliant film, but, in my opinion, but it is still pretty brilliant. I think the story/premise is very interesting and the atmosphere was perfect. The acting was excellent and on that note the film featured THREE scream queens (Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Janet Leigh). This film is also genuinely creepy. Of course, one can not forget the score, which was creepy and beautiful. I think this film is a classic (and far from okay) that definitely deserves a place in the top 22. I do agree that Return of the Living Dead and Near Dark are excellent, but I, personally, would still rank The Fog above them.

Last edited by metternich1815; 08-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Cranky

Okay, I'll play. I backed The Fog mainly for sentimental reasons, though I do think the opening is BRILLIANT, one of the best sequences Carpenter ever filmed, with a masterful performance by Houseman. I loved Barbeau as the sultry radio host, and loved presenting those bits during my Halloween broadcasts, but ultimately the plot descends into silliness.

So, I remove my backing of The Fog and give it to Near Dark.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 08-12-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Evil Dead

So with neverending dropping his vote for The Fog and Sculpt's neg, if I'm counting right, it looks like a three horse race for the final spot between RotLD, Near Dark and The Beyond. Wow, tough choice. I agree with neverending's assessment of The Fog having a brilliant beginning, but not that much to write home about after that. For me, it's a huge drop off from Halloween and The Thing -- much more than The Brood is from other Cronenberg films in contention.

I love K-Demon's plea for RotLD. I think she's right -- the film is influential. As a middle schooler, my cousin and I used to go around saying "braaaiiins," and I had never even seen the movie back then. It's a more accessible take on the genre than Romero's, and is a precursor to the comedy horror trend that picked up in the 90s. I love how it directly references Romero's film as a plot setup device, and makes "the guy that made the movie" complicit in a government cover-up. Really good, well-liked movie.

I only watched Near Dark after metternich mentioned in the Last Seen Movie thread. I'm really wondering how I had never heard of this one before that. Great film. I loved it, and I'm not all that big on vampire films. Immersive soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. The group kill scene in the bar had me rooting for the victims to be spared. True Blood has lifted more than a couple details straight from this film. Perhaps a little too perfect an ending for my tastes, but overall, very enjoyable.

Both of those films are excellent choices for the top 22, but in the end, I've got to go with my original vote. I had The Beyond ranked #9 overall in my submission for the 80s. It's surreal, has some excellent, creative practical gore effects, and spiders that bite people's faces off. I enjoy zombies, but typically they don't scare me. The slow, staring ones in this film do, as does that chick's eyes. Some might not enjoy the non-linear nature of the story, or might consider it nonsensical, which is fair, but for someone that enjoys surrealism and the bizarre, I think it makes more sense than it's often believed to. Even if it didn't, it wouldn't matter. I'd choose the film that had the most impact on me, and this one is it.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 AM
For Vendetta

All added.

The Fog drops out of the 22nd spot, and The Beyond sneaks in.

4 other films (as underlined) are staring at that 22nd spot as well, so it's still up for grabs.

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...=57593&page=99

Keep the thoughts coming.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I'll back The Beyond (1981) for the final spot.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM
For Vendetta

Looks like The Beyond has just sealed the 22nd spot with that backing by realdealblues.

All in agreement? If yes, we can start on the Honorable Mentions.