Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Finished watching The Funhouse...and I was impressed by it. Given my love for slashers, especially from the 80s, this doesn't disappoint the appetite at all. The plot is simple and paper-thin (ala most teen slashers), and I thought the killer/monster was grotesque enough to elicit horrific reactions from the viewers. The minor flaws were the characterisation - Hooper could have made more believable characters (although all the actors do their best), and the first 35-40 mins is a bit slow for a slasher, although one may argue that its the buildup to the delicious 2nd half coming up. All in all, I would give it a 07/10.

My vote is for The Virgin Spring. Would love to see Bergman's masterpiece and the reactions from you all.
I vote for The Virgin Spring as well.

The Funhouse ended up being a lot better watch than I thought it would be. Adding to what _V_ said I think the circus lent itself well to the atmosphere and I'm one who enjoys a bit of build-up as an hors d'oeuvre before we're treated to a filling course of bloodshed. I would say 7.5/10 as I enjoyed the killer and have an unnatural propensity for avoiding whole numbers. On a side note, I really didn't have an issue with a sound on my DVD, maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
The Funhouse ended up being a lot better watch than I thought it would be. Adding to what _V_ said I think the circus lent itself well to the atmosphere and I'm one who enjoys a bit of build-up as an hors d'oeuvre before we're treated to a filling course of bloodshed. I would say 7.5/10 as I enjoyed the killer and have an unnatural propensity for avoiding whole numbers. On a side note, I really didn't have an issue with a sound on my DVD, maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough.
Agree totally. The carnival's surreality added a lot to the atmosphere prevalent throughout the 2nd part of the movie. Very twisted, very macabre. It was a fun watch, for sure.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I think the Funhouse caps off sort of a trilogy for Hooper, in the same way that they call the Thing, In the Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness a trilogy for Carpenter. Between TCM, Eaten Alive and the Funhouse, I think Hooper has mapped out a nihilistic, confusing apocalyptic America through these movies. The atmosphere is cool and seems to have had a big influence on Rob Zombie later (especially the barker character). It's also one of the earliest Little Red Ridinghood teen slashers, being from a time before they were thirty Friday the 13th movies.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Evil Dead

Altered States (3)

Virgin Spring (2)
Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Evil Dead

Bump!

Hour and a half left to vote.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
Oh and I remembered that I did see funhouse, but didn't like it very much. It wasn't horrible, it was just horribly average. I think Tobe Hooper is seriously overrated and he's lucky he made TCM because he would probably be flipping burgers right now.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Evil Dead

And the winner is:

Altered States

Same as before. You have until Saturday at midnight to watch/buy/discuss. :)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
She's under the stairs

I couldn't find a copy of funhouse, oh well.... one day I will.

I won't be able to particapate in this one as I'm moving so I will leave the voting to those who will be around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha