Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Little Boo

Just popping in to rebut some gross generalizations made by uninformed individuals in regard to facebook.

Let me say at the outset I don't care if you like it or not. Personal choice blah blah blah. However, to characterize it as nothing but a waste of time full of self-centered attention seeking idiots is pure ignorance.

Facebook, like everything else in life is nothing more or less than you you, as an individual make of it.

In my year on facebook I've won a hardback copy of Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars" and a hardback edition of a Neal Gaiman book, as well as three paperbacks of independent authors, all autographed. How did I win them? Trivia contests or other puzzle games.

I've befriended, and had personal, one on one conversations with Frank Hennenlotter, David Hess (just a few days before he died, RIP), Peter Strauss, Pee Wee Herman, George Takai, Wil Wheaton, and other less well known luminaries that were still exciting for me to make contact with.

Every single story I've sold so far has been because of a contact I made on facebook, and I expect many more.

Don't like lame facebook games? Don't flippin' play them!

Don't like pointless status updates of every little thing someone is doing? Delete them from your list! Facebook is completely configurable. Unlike forums, you're not forced to endure prattle from anyone you're not interested in. To be honest, I've met more dickheads and assholes in the two dozen people who frequent this forum, than I have in the several hundred people I've met on facebook. And they don't last long on my friends list. If you don't want to read stupid people's status updates, don't befriend stupid people. How hard is that?

Companies making money off me? Um, no. There are ads in the margines of a facebook page, that's true... but they PAY for those ads. I don't pay to see them. And so far, nobody has come in and forced me to click one of those ads...

If you hate facebook, fine, but maybe you should do it for reasons that accurately represent the service.

So long!

Last edited by neverendingwonder; 03-22-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
That fucking Guy...

I feel that my response was a little overly negative and personal, upon thinking about it some more I've decided to make some alterations.

Quote:
Let me say at the outset I don't care if you like it or not. Personal choice blah blah blah. However, to characterize it as nothing but a waste of time full of self-centered attention seeking idiots is pure ignorance.
I said "a lot of" there is a lot of.
Never said nothing but...
Wasn't saying what I said applied to anyone and everyone that uses facebook. I use facebook, just not half as fanatically as most of the people that I've encountered.
I'd say to ignore that there's a pretty large attention whore population there would be pretty ignorant in itself.
In fact, none of us had a go at "all" or "most" of the people that use facebook.

Quote:
Don't like pointless status updates of every little thing someone is doing? Delete them from your list! Facebook is completely configurable. Unlike forums, you're not forced to endure prattle from anyone you're not interested in. To be honest, I've met more dickheads and assholes in the two dozen people who frequent this forum, than I have in the several hundred people I've met on facebook. And they don't last long on my friends list. If you don't want to read stupid people's status updates, don't befriend stupid people. How hard is that?
There is also an ignore function here.
As for the status updates - I don't read them, though I have seen them.
Thus, I'm aware they exist - just like Wayans brothers movies, you don't really need more than 5 minutes to cast accurate judgement.
These kinds of status updates are the reason I have like 7 contacts on my facebook.
Also on that note, while I do not bathe in acid I'm fairly certain it's an experience I would not enjoy.

The reasons you say you use facebook don't sound like what I was referring to at all? If it's serviceable to you, do your thing. They sound like perfectly valid reasons I wouldn't poke fun at...which is why, I didn't include those kinds of things in my "list".
That said, the population I was referring to can do their thing too - because nothing I say about them or their activities needs to effect their lives.

Edit to reflect - Really its a shame, if you put aside all your hissy fits you were actually pretty good for the place.
Ah well. I was disappointed that your return was this way. If you're going to come back and post again that would be good, but do it for the right reasons.

Have a good 'un.

For the record, I absolutely stand by what I said about facebook being responsible for the decline in forums - it simply is. Regardless of the reasons, it's a fact.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 03-23-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

.................................................. ........

Last edited by wizard of gore; 03-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Little Boo

I've been a member of this forum since 2006, have over 10,000 posts to my credit.

Sorry to hear your chats with musicians seemed fake to you.

My experience has been the opposite.

Most things in life, as I mentioned earlier, are what you make of them.

Last edited by neverendingwonder; 03-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

i no..you just come back to say that though?
what was the point in leaving in the first place,i dont remember hissy fits, so to me you were(as cheecha says) good for the forum.spose i wasnt in the mod dramas though.

Last edited by wizard of gore; 03-22-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
No, fuck YOU

I like how this thread is going.. :rolleyes:
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
I don't know either, but we should come up with a term for it...

The Hilton Disease
Aye! Aye! Professor Angra!:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
I like how this thread is going.. :rolleyes:
hahaha...we need to open a separate thread on "What to expect on Facebook?" and then merge the above posts in that thread.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Banned

the last posts usually would have been deleted by now for goin off track to the thread topic

who has the most friends on this site i have 1

Last edited by wizard of gore; 03-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Wanna Join?

Using Facebook to get published sounds like a good enough reason to join from where I plop and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the primary slush pile of the future.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
Using Facebook to get published sounds like a good enough reason to join from where I plop and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the primary slush pile of the future.
They all have a case of LAM (Look At Me).