Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM
HDC's old chick

Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment by Deepak Chopra
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Wanna Join?

After three horror/horroresque books it's now time for some pulp action:

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Evil is Better

Started reading I Am Alice by Joseph Delaney. It's the Twelfth book in The Last Apprentice series.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Pit or Pendulum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Started reading I Am Alice by Joseph Delaney. It's the Twelfth book in The Last Apprentice series.
Was in love with those books when I was younger, but for some reason stopped reading around the seventh or eighth one. Still not really sure why, but I need to pick them up again. Not entirely sure how I feel about the promised film adaptation though.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerVSPredator View Post
Was in love with those books when I was younger, but for some reason stopped reading around the seventh or eighth one. Still not really sure why, but I need to pick them up again. Not entirely sure how I feel about the promised film adaptation though.
I've really been enjoying them although after the three non Tom centric stories I'm eager to read the last book in the series. The film adaptation looks terrible. Reminds me of the Cirque Du Freak movie.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Pit or Pendulum?

Quote:
I've really been enjoying them although after the three non Tom centric stories I'm eager to read the last book in the series. The film adaptation looks terrible. Reminds me of the Cirque Du Freak movie.
Oh no, don't even get me started on the Cirque Du Freak movie. Seeing one of my favourite book series murdered so horribly was very unpleasant. Sometimes the studios can get it so wrong when they try to cash grab. Whoever decided to make that movie a comedy is the worst.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerVSPredator View Post
Oh no, don't even get me started on the Cirque Du Freak movie. Seeing one of my favourite book series murdered so horribly was very unpleasant. Sometimes the studios can get it so wrong when they try to cash grab. Whoever decided to make that movie a comedy is the worst.
I loved those books. They got a little confusing and lost focus by the end but they were still great. I was so disappointed in the movie. Like you said, the comedy bits were terrible and the direction they took it in was horrible. I was really hoping they'd do it right. I would've loved to see Tunnels of Blood. That was my favorite. Of course they didn't want a dark vampire series, they wanted a quirky teen drama with supernatural creatures and unfortunately that's what we got.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Pit or Pendulum?

Quote:
I loved those books. They got a little confusing and lost focus by the end but they were still great. I was so disappointed in the movie. Like you said, the comedy bits were terrible and the direction they took it in was horrible. I was really hoping they'd do it right. I would've loved to see Tunnels of Blood. That was my favorite. Of course they didn't want a dark vampire series, they wanted a quirky teen drama with supernatural creatures and unfortunately that's what we got.
That's so true, it was a product of the time which didn't do the film any favours at all. If a Cirque Du Freak movie was to be made in the next couple of years the dark aesthetic would probably be championed a lot more. Tunnels of Blood would've been incredible. At least they didn't try to do a Demonata film as well. I mean, I have no idea how they could've made THAT into a comedy but god knows someone might've tried.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Sometimes dead is better

On the Origins of War by Donald Kagan. I actually stopped for a while, but plan to continue at some point. It is very interesting, so far. I am also planning on reading The Shining by Stephen King. I borrowed it from a friend of my Mom's (who is a big King fan, owns all his books). I plan to read it soon (probably in December). This would be my first Stephen King book.

Last edited by metternich1815; 11-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Pit or Pendulum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
On the Origins of War by Donald Kagan. I actually stopped for a while, but plan to continue at some point. It is very interesting, so far. I am also planning on reading The Shining by Stephen King. I borrowed it from a friend of my Mom's (who is a big King fan, owns all his books). I plan to read it soon (probably in December). This would be my first Stephen King book.
I'm quite a big fan of Stephen King and The Shining is definitely my favourite of his books. It's an absolute horror classic and its status is well deserved. He's written some other great books as well so if you like The Shining definitely check out some more!