Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Scary car guy...

Any horror books with 50's culture?

Can anyone think of any good horror books out there that are set in the 50's (or were written in the 50's and involve 50's culture)?

I enjoyed reading King's "Christine", but there was only a brief glimpse into the 50's, and that was my favorite part of the book.

If anyone can think of any, I'd really appreciate it.

-Chris
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Whip In My Valise

Stephen King's It had a good portion of it set in 1957-58.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Scary car guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
Stephen King's It had a good portion of it set in 1957-58.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have many King books. Just The Shining, and Christine, so I'll be sure to hunt down IT. I have the movie and loved it since I was a kid.

Not sure if you feel this way or not, but something about bad things happening in the 50's is so creepy. The 50's were supposed to be this bright and shining moment in American culture... but if you look at the dark side of the 50's, things get really interesting. Unsolved murders, drugs, seedy celebrities and politicians, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Steak View Post
Thanks for the tip. I don't have many King books. Just The Shining, and Christine, so I'll be sure to hunt down IT. I have the movie and loved it since I was a kid.

Not sure if you feel this way or not, but something about bad things happening in the 50's is so creepy. The 50's were supposed to be this bright and shining moment in American culture... but if you look at the dark side of the 50's, things get really interesting. Unsolved murders, drugs, seedy celebrities and politicians, etc.
It and Salem's Lot are my favorite Stephen King novels. 'It' is a very long book (over 1,000 pages) that goes into great detail about the events in the 50s, the present day (1985 at the time), and significant events that occurred
during It's cycle in the 1929-30 and 1907-09 time periods. I loved every minute of it.

I think I understand what you mean about the 50s. People who are too young to have been there tend to think of life being like it was in Leave It To Beaver, but it just wasn't so.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Scary car guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
People who are too young to have been there tend to think of life being like it was in Leave It To Beaver, but it just wasn't so.
Bingo.

Unfortunately, I missed the 50's, by decades, but I know it wasn't all "golly, gee-whiz" like most people think of it. ;)

Your comments about IT were very enticing. I'm going to buy it tonight on Amazon when I get home.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Fresh Blood

Sometimes they come back - short story by S. King, it's in the Night Shift collection but also a movie. I've seen a handful of times and always enjoyed it.

I also created and run http://www.apocalypsehub.com
Your #1 source for apocalyptic-related news and entertainment. Also includes alternative news.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Boy's Life by Robert R. Mc Cammon is set in the sixties, but I believe its insights into a different and allegedly more innocent America will be enjoyable for you.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Masoch's mistress

Check out most of Angela Carter's work. She writes not so much of horror, but of the grotesque in everyday. She does add a gothic twist and most of her stories have a fairytale like air about them, despite being written as present day (1950's and 60's). She is one of my favourite authors.