Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Strait-Jacket (1964)

When the director of Homicidal/The Tingler or House on Haunted Hill, the author of Psycho, and the co-star of Whatever happened to Baby Jane features a film then you can easily predict how much shocker this is going to be turned out. Though it's got some camp value to it but that makes it pretty enjoyable enough. Joan Crawford was horrifying when she needed to be and later on vulnerable and she did both equally believably.

>>: B+
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Bad Seed (1956)

Tightly focused, heavy on dialogue and taking place primarily in one interior location, The Bad Seed is an outstanding horror masterpiece of 50s. Like Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963), this is another classic example of how something implied and not shown can be just as effective and disturbing as something shown. 'Tell but don't show' attitude towards the film's violence works pretty effectively. The notable reason why this film works so well is down to a phenomenal performance by talented child actor Patricia McCormack. McCormack was brilliant in her challenging role that finds exactly the right pitch between the sweet and innocent youngster that she appear; and the dark persona that lies just beneath her look. Nonetheless her eerie facial expression is also priceless. Nancy Kelly similarly gives a defining performance as her tortured mother in a torrent of emotion.

A film adaptation of a play which itself adapted from a novel, the stagy mood of Mervyn Leroy's movie made it an unique horror gem for ardent fans of the genre.

>>: A-
Old 07-28-2009, 10:59 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

Wow...brilliant movie.

I've been looking forward to this one for ages, but never got aqround to it - now that I've finally watched it, it didn't disappoint. Some of the most innovative special effects I've ever seen, anchored by a powerful performance by Grant Williams and a near-perfect script by Richard Matheson really make this one of the all-time greats.

And what an amazing closing monologue! Has to be one of the greatest endings in horror history (*Spoilers Below*):

"I was continuing to shrink, to become... what? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the man of the future? If there were other bursts of radiation, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other beings follow me into this vast new world? So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist! "
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)

Screams and moans and bats and bones
Teenage monsters in haunted homes
The ghost on the stair
A vampire's bite
Better beware
There's a full moon tonight!

Cannibal spiders creep and crawl
Boys and ghouls having a ball
Frankenstein, Dracula, and even the Mummy
Are sure to end up in somebody's tummy! Hah hah hah!

Take a fresh rodent, some toadstools and weeds
And add an old owl and the young one she breeds
Mix in seven legs from an eight-legged beast
And then you're all set for a cannibal feast!

Sit round a fire with this cup of brew
A fiend and a werewolf on each side of you
This cannibal orgy is strange to behold
In the maddest story ever told!

...the most fantastic title song I have ever heard at the opening credit of a horror film!

At the core of its gross-out humor and monstrous morbidity, Spider Baby shows an endearing, touching affection for its family of misfits. The performances of the cast, especially Chaney Jr. Jill Banner as Virginia, and very young Sid Haig (surprised to see him! cause I didn't know he started his career so early), were undeniably excellent in their roles through out the film.
Overall, an extremely macabre but no gore(!) and pretty underrated twisted horror gem that's still playing a very influential role in the hype of the modern horror films.

>>: A-
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Friend....gooooood!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

A decent Hammer piece.

>>: B-
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
For Vendetta

Great reviews, Roshiq. I loved reading each one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Haunted Palace (1963)
Possibly one of my favorite haunted house pics.
Price is his usual wonderful self, but what makes this movie such a brilliant example is the fantastic set pieces and atmosphere that the director creates by the use of some very effective lighting and effects, complimented by some really chilling background scores.
Glad to see you loved it.

Quote:
The Bad Seed (1956)
Wonderful, wonderful movie.
Yes it was a challenge back in the day to make this, and even more to portray the bad girl so effectively. The director and the actress both get a lot of kudos for bringing out a genuinely disturbing and frightening portrayal of childhood innocence gone horribly awry.
One of the best slow chillers of all-time. You can literally feel the hairs on the back of your neck rise as the film progresses.

Quote:
Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
One of the real underrated gems of the genre.
It has a dose of everything you could imagine in a genre representative, plus it had a undercurrent of social satire running through the entire flick. The cast, though largely made of unknowns back then, stands out in their wonderful characterisation (the script-writer really deserves a pat on the back for his efforts). As you mentioned, close to nobody knew who Sid Haig was back then.
I honestly think Zombie's HOTC/TDR both were heavily influenced by this film. Too bad this film got overshadowed by NOTLD back then, or it would have been a genre masterpiece in its own right. As it is, it remains a huge cult classic/favorite.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Heaven for the climate

Encounters with the Unknown
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Evil Dead

"The Son Of Dr. Jekyll" (1957)

Plot: IMDB
The son of the notorious Dr. Henry Jekyll is determined to prove that his father's reputation has been unjustly deserved. He sets out to develop his father's formula in order to prove that he was a brilliant scientist rather than a murderous monster.

Phantom's Review: Well made, but ultimately dull sequel to the horror classic. The acting, sets and costumes are fine but the film has no real scare scenes and moves very slowly. A disappointment.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Truly glad that you read & liked the reviews.:)
Without HDC's precious lists, tourneys and time to time recommendations I think I couldn't been ever able to know about and encouraged to see these masterpieces. So above all, I'm grateful to HDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I honestly think Zombie's HOTC/TDR both were heavily influenced by this film. Too bad this film got overshadowed by NOTLD back then, or it would have been a genre masterpiece in its own right. As it is, it remains a huge cult classic/favorite.
Totally agree! Zombie's HOTC & TDR are now seems like tribute to this masterpiece.;)