Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
HDC Idol

(In no particular order):
  • Fallout 3 (360)
  • BioShock (360)
  • Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be A Hero (PC)
  • Quest for Glory III: Wages of War (PC)
  • Warcraft II (PC)
  • Myst (PC)
  • The Sims (PC)
  • Sim City 2000 (PC)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  • King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 07-12-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
That fucking Guy...

Ha, Sierra fan, hm?
Love that stuff.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Ha, Sierra fan, hm?
Love that stuff.
YES! Some of the best PC games. Ever. Space Quest I was definitely competing for one of my top 10 spots. Difficult to leave that one out. I loved their sense of humor and thought that their writing was fantastic. Fun games, lots of adventure, and some great laughs. I love talking to people who actually KNOW Sierra games.

When I was really young, I remember my mom playing Mixed Up Mother Goose with me - What a cute little kids game (then again, I also remember her playing Leisure Suit Larry - LOL; you had to enter the game by answering questions to prove you were over 18). I also played their two EcoQuest games when I was younger - really cute ways to engage kids on the computer (I remember the second game was particularly fun because it took place in the rain forest).

I remember always wanting to play Phantasmagoria, but my parents said that it would be "too mature" for me. Unfortunately, never got around to that one.

Do you have any personal favorites?

Mentioning Phantasmagoria reminded me of The 7th Guest for the PC. That was one of my absolute favorites when I was younger. Good, creepy puzzle-based game. And difficult at times too. Anyone else play this one?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
mostly ghostly?

Well, since my gaming days ended with the original PlayStation, my list might seem a little dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Mentioning Phantasmagoria reminded me of The 7th Guest for the PC. That was one of my absolute favorites when I was younger. Good, creepy puzzle-based game. And difficult at times too. Anyone else play this one?
Actually, that one'll be included in my list. I looooved that game. And its sequel, The 11th Hour. I think I might have to name a few more than 10, too.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron (Sega Genesis)
The 7th Guest (PC)
Sanitarium (PC)
The 11th Hour (PC)
Waxworks (PC)
Alone in the Dark (PC)
The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
Bosconian (Atari)
Super Mario Brothers 3 (Nintendo)
Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Blood (PC)
Kid Chameleon (Sega Genesis)
Commander Keen (PC)

There we go. Oy vey, I feel old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok View Post
i used to like Hexen, Heretic, and shadow warrior as well..
Oh, man. I played Hexen and Heretic all the time.

Last edited by fortunato; 07-13-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Well, since my gaming days ended with the original PlayStation, my list might seem a little dated.

Actually, that one'll be included in my list. I looooved that game. And its sequel, The 11th Hour. I think I might have to name a few more than 10, too.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron (Sega Genesis)
The 7th Guest (PC)
Sanitarium (PC)
The 11th Hour (PC)
Waxworks (PC)
Alone in the Dark (PC)
The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
Bosconian (Atari)
Super Mario Brothers 3 (Nintendo)
Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Blood (PC)
Kid Chameleon (Sega Genesis)
Commander Keen (PC)

There we go. Oy vey, I feel old.

Oh, man. I played Hexen and Heretic all the time.
Awesome to see another 7th Guest fan! Looooooooved that gam! Never played 11th Hour, though.

And, J, I think your list proves that we're meant to be together...
  • Alone in the Dark for the PC - One of the first 3D games that was creepy, "cutting edge" (at the time), fun, and frustrating all at the same time.
  • Commander Keen for the PC - OMG! CLASSIC! I love all of the 2 bit sound effects. I would play that game for HOURS.
  • Day of the Tentacle for the PC almost made my list too. That game was cartoony, fun, humorous and incredibly well-written. Definitely a favorite of mine when I was younger.

I, too, played a LOT of Heretic and Hexen. Great Doom spawns. I remember one of them had a "chicken" cheat code that turned you into a chicken - What a blast!!

Did you ever play the Shivers PC game? That was one of the last Sierra games that I played - Good graphics and definitely creepy, but the "goals" were silly (I believe you had to collect pieces of jars and put them together properly and then trap particular spirits in particular jars, but you could only hold one jar at a time... VERY frustrating and cheesy).

Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Awesome to see another 7th Guest fan! Looooooooved that gam! Never played 11th Hour, though.
Oh, I bet we could talk about the 7th Guest for a long time. So many greatnesses about that game. You would have loved the 11th Hour, though. It took place current day (which, of course, at the time was like 1995 or something), and you had to go back and visit the Stauff mansion because your reporter girlfriend went missing inside while investigating it.

Quote:
And, J, I think your list proves that we're meant to be together...
  • Alone in the Dark for the PC - One of the first 3D games that was creepy, "cutting edge" (at the time), fun, and frustrating all at the same time.
  • Commander Keen for the PC - OMG! CLASSIC! I love all of the 2 bit sound effects. I would play that game for HOURS.
  • Day of the Tentacle for the PC almost made my list too. That game was cartoony, fun, humorous and incredibly well-written. Definitely a favorite of mine when I was younger.

I, too, played a LOT of Heretic and Hexen. Great Doom spawns. I remember one of them had a "chicken" cheat code that turned you into a chicken - What a blast!!
Haha, I miss these games so much. It's great that you loved a bunch of these, too. (Alone in the Dark was reallllly frustrating at times, by the way.)

How about Maniac Mansion? Did you ever play that one?

Quote:
Did you ever play the Shivers PC game? That was one of the last Sierra games that I played - Good graphics and definitely creepy, but the "goals" were silly (I believe you had to collect pieces of jars and put them together properly and then trap particular spirits in particular jars, but you could only hold one jar at a time... VERY frustrating and cheesy).
Holy smokes! I had completely forgotten about this game! We had it lying around, and I think I only played it a few times (I really don't remember anything about it.).
Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
That fucking Guy...

If you guys don't mind pretty dated graphics, I think you'd both really enjoy "5 days a stranger" I think some guy just threw it together but as a horror fan and sierra style rpg player of old, I quite enjoyed it...it actually made me jump some.
Just type it in google and it'll be free somewhere.
Maybe check out the Gabriel Knight series too, or broken sword, they were slightly more modern versions of this style of game.

I played the 7th guest, it was alright...didn't really stand out to me, just seemed like nothing much more'n a big puzzle.
Phantasmagoria the chick really liked, I've seen it but never played.
We just downloaded a copy of "Neverhood" which is rather interesting.

Quote:
YES! Some of the best PC games. Ever. Space Quest I was definitely competing for one of my top 10 spots. I love talking to people who actually KNOW Sierra games.
I loved the space quest series...probably my favourite as it was the first one I played personally...I remember the first time I heard the theme song I just knew I was gonna like it. The Heroes Quest/Quest for Glory series looked pretty damn cool, though I only ever played through the first one - I thought the first-person combat scenes were great. Police Quest was great too, bit annoying with all the procedural crap but cool storyline and I thought the top-down map during the car scenes was pretty cool.
Space Quest 2 was the one that really stuck out though.
The Kings Quest series was a bit hit and miss, though I liked the one on the island, and the one with the two chicks, and the one where you hadda escape the wizard in the beginning, the rest were like...same old.
Mixed up mother goose I played too...which was ok...but yknow.
The colonels bequest, betrayal at krondor, faery tale adventure, the black cauldron and "manhunter" were some interesting titles of the same sort too...so many places you can get these free now, ha.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
How about Maniac Mansion? Did you ever play that one?
I played that one a little bit. I remember specifically the butler asking you if you wanted a "chop" and if you said "Yes," he would chop off your head. LOL. I also remember that one of the inventory items that you would collect would be a "rubber bung" - I was pretty young and I remember thinking that that was one of the funniest phrases I had EVER heard. Ahhhh, memories...

I didn't get too much into Maniac Mansion - It was something that my mom played a lot and I would watch her play. I remember getting frustrated with it and just going directly to the cheat guide. I think that I died or got killed a lot in that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
If you guys don't mind pretty dated graphics, I think you'd both really enjoy "5 days a stranger" I think some guy just threw it together but as a horror fan and sierra style rpg player of old, I quite enjoyed it...it actually made me jump some.
Just type it in google and it'll be free somewhere.
Maybe check out the Gabriel Knight series too, or broken sword, they were slightly more modern versions of this style of game.

I played the 7th guest, it was alright...didn't really stand out to me, just seemed like nothing much more'n a big puzzle.
Phantasmagoria the chick really liked, I've seen it but never played.
We just downloaded a copy of "Neverhood" which is rather interesting.

I loved the space quest series...probably my favourite as it was the first one I played personally...I remember the first time I heard the theme song I just knew I was gonna like it. The Heroes Quest/Quest for Glory series looked pretty damn cool, though I only ever played through the first one - I thought the first-person combat scenes were great. Police Quest was great too, bit annoying with all the procedural crap but cool storyline and I thought the top-down map during the car scenes was pretty cool.
Space Quest 2 was the one that really stuck out though.
The Kings Quest series was a bit hit and miss, though I liked the one on the island, and the one with the two chicks, and the one where you hadda escape the wizard in the beginning, the rest were like...same old.
Mixed up mother goose I played too...which was ok...but yknow.
The colonels bequest, betrayal at krondor, faery tale adventure, the black cauldron and "manhunter" were some interesting titles of the same sort too...so many places you can get these free now, ha.
OMG! Neverhood! I remember that game - The graphics were absolutely FANTASTIC. Something out of a twisted claymation short film. Incredibly absurd and surreal. I had a blast just walking around in that one, though at points that puzzles were absolutely baffling - I remember getting frustrated because there was a point where I just had NO idea what to do. Regardless, definitely a memorable game.

Police Quest I never got into, probably because a friend of mine played it a lot and I found it boring (mostly we would just turn on the siren and blast through traffic lights). I never really gave it a chance, though. I agree with you on the Kings Quest series - It was really only the later one, VI, that hooked me (I think that's the one that you're talking about - you have a map and you travel back and forth between the islands). But you're right about the combat in Quest for Glory - That I always liked. While there have been other RPGs and dungeon crawler games out there, there hasn't been anything quite like Quest for Glory.

I'll have to check out "5 Days a Stranger." Thanks for the rec. :)

Ok. So there was this other really bizarre game that I played a lot on PC. Not sure if you guys heard of this one, but it was a BLAST. The Horde.

Essentially you were this little guy set out to defend his town from THE HORDE, these 3-D beasties that would come in and destroy everything. You had a period of time to build of your city, and then when that time was up, THE HORDE would come and strike. You had limited resources and money and had to be clever about how you built walls and the like. The gameplay was also divided between movies with the King and the prince (played by Kirk Cameron - LOL) talking about The Horde.

It was frustrating, but VERY addictive.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Chrono's Lesbian Lover

1: Left 4 Dead
2: Street Fighter 4
3: All Soul Caliber games
4: Quake 3: Arena(pc)
5: Call of Duty4
6: Prototype
7: Duke Nukem 3D
8: Sonic The Hedgehog
9: Super Mario Bros.
10: Doom 1+2 (haven't played 3 yet)
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.