Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 AM

anybody think Kubrick would have done commentary on his movies..if he was alive ?....I dont think so..."The Shining" and "2001" are his best...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Fascist Zombie

Send a message via AIM to TheOmen
Quote:
anybody think Kubrick would have done commentary on his movies..if he was alive ?....I dont think so..."The Shining" and "2001" are his best...
I doubt he would do a commentary. Hell, he preferred his movies be shown in full screen on TVs instead of the theatrical ratio. He wouldn't even consider widescreen as an option. It had to fill the entire screen.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 AM

:rolleyes:
Old 08-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Evil Dead

My first introduction to Kubrick was Clockwork Orange. Personally, I was shocked. Why, I'm not entirely sure. Being something of a newbie cinephile -- is that the right term? -- there was something very intriguing about this particular director. Same way I felt about Greenaway and Jodorowsky films.

There was a documentary about Kubrick once, in which Tom Cruise did the voice-over. He strikes me as rather eccentric and uncompromising, to say the least! And he hated publicity. All he wanted was to be left alone to make his films. He is something of a perfectionist. Perhaps even maniacal about it.

Having only seen the Shining, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket, I would say that the best one was the Shining. For its visuals, atmosphere, pacing, and style.

>once he asked over 100 takes of sherry duvall for a scene
He was swearing at her, telling her to hurry up, etc. But she said it was an experience she wouldn't trade for anything. But would she do it again? No.

And the boy actor in the Shining didn't make any more films after this. It seemed to be implied that Kubrick was the reason for it.

And I doubt he would do any commentary of his films.

Someone -- an old childhood schoolmate -- told a story about Kubrick, which I feel described him very well. I relate this from memory: Stanley always used to copy school homework from me. I didn't mind it, but one day I asked him why he did so. He simply stated, "I'm just not interested."
Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by no mulier
Having only seen the Shining, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket, I would say that the best one was the Shining. For its visuals, atmosphere, pacing, and style.

...you havent seen the best yet which is "2001......"
Old 08-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Evil Dead

I -did- start to watch it, but never made it past the first 10 minutes. Oh well.