Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-29-2005, 09:01 PM
GRAVE DANCER

Quote:
Originally posted by FangoFan
You know how I know it would sell. 'Cuz it's cliched and about as old as beating a dead horse can get.
oh well...
Like the others from the past
The naked belly, full of cysts
Smells so good, I cant resist
I know inside this ones the best
As I eat the rotting chest
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Shadow Puppet Mastermind

I think the idea should be to do something unique. Have an idea of at least one scene. Close your eyes and play that scene in your mind like as if you we're there. Is it something that even remotely scares you. If you can scare yourself with your own ideas and use emotion with the scenes then they will most likely scare others. I see a lot of horror movies and the ones that last longest in my mind are the ones that scare me. It's usually the intensity of emotions and a good mix of violence that gets into my mind most.

With a great horror film it would be unpredictable. If you use the same ideas from other movies and just blend them together it would look like a mess.

For just an example, Dagon scared me 'cuz I hadn't read the story before, and the story lead my mind from the obvious and went left when most movies would have made a right.

I didn't mean to dogshit your idea. More idea into it with emotion from the story and/or characters it would be watchable.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
GRAVE DANCER

Quote:
Originally posted by FangoFan
I think the idea should be to do something unique. Have an idea of at least one scene. Close your eyes and play that scene in your mind like as if you we're there. Is it something that even remotely scares you. If you can scare yourself with your own ideas and use emotion with the scenes then they will most likely scare others. I see a lot of horror movies and the ones that last longest in my mind are the ones that scare me. It's usually the intensity of emotions and a good mix of violence that gets into my mind most.

With a great horror film it would be unpredictable. If you use the same ideas from other movies and just blend them together it would look like a mess.

For just an example, Dagon scared me 'cuz I hadn't read the story before, and the story lead my mind from the obvious and went left when most movies would have made a right.

I didn't mean to dogshit your idea. More idea into it with emotion from the story and/or characters it would be watchable.
Thanks alot for eveyrthing ^^^^above, it deffinantly makes sence to me ( everything you said ) Now the problem of finding something im scared of..........
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Shadow Puppet Mastermind

It doesn't even have to be a general idea like spiders, snakes, ghosts, etc... It could just be an image.

I write stories and sometimes tell stories amongst friends. I'm not a pro or anything but I can usually scare them pretty well.

It may sound crazy but this is what you should do. Set an atmosphere around yourself that will provoke thoughts. My mind will provoke some thoughts that can disturb me. And I start from there.

This is how it works for me. Be alone. Outside or in the basement or attic. All lights off, or maybe a small light like a candle. Actually a candle flame usually improves the atmosphere. And don't think about the physical stuff around you. Close your eyes and open your mind. Your mind should draw in some wicked and/or disturbing images. And from that first image is where a good dark idea is born. Use it to build upon.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Little Angel

And don't worry whether you can do something technically or not on the first pass... You should do just what you have in you imagination. If you want to have someone vomit up their entrails, you can find a way to do it on camera.

Actually vomiting up entrails is not that hard to do if you think in cuts.

You have to have your actor fill his mouth with something like a Chef-boy-r-dee spaghetti and tomato sauce and perhaps some long wide penne pasta. Have him turn and start to vomit. Cut to the floor, and or the killer's shoes and drop a load of real pig entrails** that you've gotten from your local butcher (you may have to order these in advance and keep *fresh* for the shoot. They'll start to go of quick with retakes and lights. Squeeze them out of a bag so that when you time it with the vomiting sound effects they seem like they are being pushed out by the force of the vomiting. Cut back to to your actor with something similar hanging from their mouth and pushing out another mouthful (you may want to check with your butcher before making you actor mouth uncooked pig entrails**). More of the floor, and then back to the actor with something hanging from their mouth.

You may also want to experiment with latex tubing, the kind they tie on your arm when drawing blood, and some tomato/spaghetti sauce for flavour. Keep it clean if it's going to be around actors and their bodies... eg holding it in their mouth.

It can be done, just think around it. What does it *look like* and what else could look like that that's not so bad...

Think in cuts and how do you get that cut?

Blood gushes from his mouth = mouth full of blood coloured stuff
Entrails fall on the floor = entrails falling on the floor

But the entrails don't have to be in the actor's mouth!

** The real pig entrails may have to be handled and cleaned carefully or they may pose a health hazard on set. Normally they'd be used to make real sausage skins, so they should be edible once cooked, but raw pork meat could be a problem - hmm ask around. Beef guts??
Old 07-30-2005, 05:05 PM
GRAVE DANCER

FangoFan, thanks alot, I think your idea could help me alot for getting Ideas. ( which is exactly what i need more of ) So thanks.

Little Angel, Im really glad you shared with me some of your ideas for filming. Ill keep it in mind while I film in the future.