Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
We watched The WOLF MAN as well than put in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN (1943) which, for my money, one of the better Universals from that time. Really like the title sequence with the test tubes, one of the best opening scenes in any film, good cast and of course, "The Battle of the Century" towards the end. Lon JR is really good as WM and while the jury is still out on Bela as the Monster, think it would have played better had the original script been left alone with its references from GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN to explain while the Monster acts as he does. ***1/2
I love the original song in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN, that occurs during the feast, so good! Plus, excellent delivery of a bizarre sentiment from Lon, 'Stop that! Why did you say that! Don't wish me long life!'.

As a kid, it took awhile before I was able to see Frank Meets Wolf. And I was old enough, and young enough, that I was expecting a much better and decisive fight, even multiple fights. So if you're 'waiting' for that, you probably won't soak in the lead up like a rich warm bath.

Watching as an adult not long ago, I appreciated it much more. I still don't think it's one of the better ones, partly because I think it's rather silly and bit aimless, but Lon delivers, and there's some solid craftsmanship.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:39 AM
Evil Dead

TOWER OF LONDON (1939). I've grown to like this after a few viewings, but like SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, it takes forever to wrap up and honestly, the battle scenes would have been better had MGM or Paramount had been behind the $$...have read how Lee had all kinds of difficulties due to heat and crowding.

All quibbling aside, Basil Rathbone is great as Richard-not nearly as hammy as he was in SOF-and one of Karloff's best performances..he truly exudes menace , especially sharpening the ax! Early appearance by Vincent Price and he is ever so prissy, but like Bela Lugosi, he dominates the scenes he is in. Impressive sets as well.

A little trivia...the poor guy who gets the "Mord treatment" in the beginning of the film was Basil Rathbone's son in real life! ***
Old 11-03-2019, 05:15 AM
病気の

House of Wax, 1953. 9/10

Director: André De Toth

Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Evil Dead

YOU'LL FIND OUT (1940). Kay Kyser and His College of Musical Knowledge (along with Ish Kabibble) set up to entertain a Young heiress at an old mansion, where mysterious happenings are underfoot.Probably due to the presence of Peter Lorre, Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff at the same shindig.

This is as bad as You can imagine...awful musical numbers, unfunny "laughs" and just an air of malaise around it. The ONLY enjoyment are watching the seriously slumming Boogie Men, Peter and Bela got some genuine laughs. But only a couple. Watch at your own risk. *
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY (1945). This might also be considered as "Abbott and Costello wannabes who Walked with a Zombie", but actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Carney and Brown aren't all that great, but get some decent chuckles and would take them over the Ritz brothers for sure. RKO had a good hit with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, so Darby Jones and Sir Lancelot are back and on the same island as IWWAZ. Bela Lugosi is his usual reliable self and despite the goofy, perhaps off-putting title, this is worth a look. ***
Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 AM
Evil Dead

THE MUMMY'S HAND (1940). One of my favorites from Universal, just a FUN movie all around. The four leads (Peggy Moran, Dick Foran, Cecil Kellaway and Wallace Ford) are so likable, even if Wallace gets very close to wearing out his welcome. But, He does really save the day, so all can be forgiven.
George Zucco is spot on as the High Priest, even though he probably started the trend of the importance of the mission being bollocksed by Lust; but guess You can't blame him, Peggy is awfully adorable here.
Tom Tyler makes a great Mummy and the scene in the cave with Zucco and Charles Trowbridge is genuinely frightening. ***1/2
Old 11-15-2019, 01:56 AM
Evil Dead

THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1942). Tepid sequel to the enjoyable THE MUMMY'S HAND that is full of filler, mistakes and just plain dumbness-the most obvious being George Zucco in HAND being shot four times at point blank range and rolling down at least 50 stone steps. In TOMB, he's a little worse for wear, but still around, explaining that .."the bullet he fired only crushed my arm". Not that the Universals were complex onuses, but continuity would be nice.
First Kharis appearance for Lon Chaney Jr and he looks pretty cool, burned and out for blood, Turhan Bey is bland and young Marilyn Monroe look-a-like Elyse Knox (who later was Mom to Mark Harmon) is quite lovely.
This was on a Double Bill with NIGHT MONSTER-skip TMT and watch NM instead. *
Old 11-17-2019, 01:50 AM
病気の

Rosemary's Baby, 1968. 9/10

Director: Roman Polanski

Old 11-18-2019, 12:43 AM
Evil Dead

THE RAVEN (1935). One of my favorites from the first era at Universal. Despite Karloff getting top billing here, this is Bela Lugosi's vehicle all the way. Despite the fact his Dr Vollin is arrogant, sadistic and completely off his rocker, a certain amount of humor-perhaps unintentional?- comes forth is several lines, especially "You Driveling Fool! Stop Talking!", "Why are You telling Me this? I'm not interested in Your life story" and Oh...You DO forgive ME!" ****
Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE RAVEN (1935). One of my favorites from the first era at Universal. Despite Karloff getting top billing here, this is Bela Lugosi's vehicle all the way. Despite the fact his Dr Vollin is arrogant, sadistic and completely off his rocker, a certain amount of humor-perhaps unintentional?- comes forth is several lines, especially "You Driveling Fool! Stop Talking!", "Why are You telling Me this? I'm not interested in Your life story" and Oh...You DO forgive ME!" ****
One of a kind horror film. Not really like any I've seen. It's both artsy and tough. Probably gets a little overshadowed by the other film named The Raven staring Karloff and Price.