Old 07-20-2019, 12:08 PM
病気の

Bullet Head, 2017. 7/10

Director: Paul Solet

My guy Rory...

They handled the animal abuse pretty well but still is sad cause you can just imagine. : (
Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Evil Dead

Zombibi (aka Kill Zombie) - Dutch zombie comedy. Whacky stuff, nothing legendary, but fun. There's worse in the genre. A lot worse.

Hush - Good stuff. Tension built up well with little or no silly stuff.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 PM
This is a test

MEMORY OF THE DEAD 2011

An Argentinian film about a woman who tricks her guests into participating in something more than just her late husband's memorial. Quite gruesome but something was lost in translation because the ending made no sense whatsoever.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
MEMORY OF THE DEAD 2011

An Argentinian film about a woman who tricks her guests into participating in something more than just her late husband's memorial. Quite gruesome but something was lost in translation because the ending made no sense whatsoever.
Argentinian movies are confusing...btw, Nueve Reinas is the best argentinian film.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 AM
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I think this is one of those cases of when people blend things together a bit.
The classic Freddy, as in, featured in the first one?
I found him quite dark and humourless...he did seem to enjoy the taunting though.
Had next to no one-liners, well not as jokes anyway...we got "I'm your boyfriend now" and "This...is God", but that's really on the more sinister side.
I didn't find him charismatic at all, he was more...evil...angry, and showed an almost hateful side towards the children - this ties in well to the origin story, their parents were his killers, and he was straight out for blood.

#3 is one of my favourites but does mark the point that he started to transition from the "original" Freddy into the standup comedian he was in the latter part of the series. Though #3 in and of itself struck a pretty good balance - it was the ones after that took him into more ridiculous territory.
I also quite liked the visual aspects of the dreams/manifestations in this one as well.
The Nancy thing sucked, but hey...who didn't love that twist though...

Of course, now I've read there was some talk about some attempt at doing with NOES what they did with Halloween?
Heather said she'd return but is uncertain of it's direction without Wes Craven.
I could maybe get behind this if it happened though.
For me works different I think.

1. I saw the saga as a kid and I was terrified. The final scene with Johnny Depp was so horrible I was afraid on sitting at home on a couch. Had the impression Freddy was coming to get me.

2. Rewatched the whole one when I was in my final years in college in 2005, and it didn't scared me, but I enjoyed it for the fun of it. Yeah, I agree in the first one everything was just scary, but from the second movie it had a lot of humor in it.

New Nightmare was, I don't know how to put it, not bad, just different. The scare jumps and the violence were more highlighted and that fella didn't seem Freddy at all.
Freddy vs Jason doesn't deserve a mention. Same with the remake.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranxLove View Post
Argentinian movies are confusing...btw, Nueve Reinas is the best argentinian film.
I saw one "Terrified" or "Atteredados" (spelled wrong, im sure). It was also good but left me wondering...
Old 07-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Evil Dead

deleted

Last edited by Amalthea_unicorn; 07-22-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Zombibi (aka Kill Zombie) - Dutch zombie comedy. Whacky stuff, nothing legendary, but fun. There's worse in the genre. A lot worse.

Hush - Good stuff. Tension built up well with little or no silly stuff.
Yes, I was impressed with Hush. I thought it was very tight, more Hitchcockian, especially in the beginning where the info it gave you, introducing the character, wasn't just fluff, but was important to the plot. It's certainly more thriller than horror, but that's up my alley.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:57 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I think this is one of those cases of when people blend things together a bit.
The classic Freddy, as in, featured in the first one?
I found him quite dark and humourless...he did seem to enjoy the taunting though.
Had next to no one-liners, well not as jokes anyway...we got "I'm your boyfriend now" and "This...is God", but that's really on the more sinister side.
I didn't find him charismatic at all, he was more...evil...angry, and showed an almost hateful side towards the children - this ties in well to the origin story, their parents were his killers, and he was straight out for blood.

#3 is one of my favourites but does mark the point that he started to transition from the "original" Freddy into the standup comedian he was in the latter part of the series. Though #3 in and of itself struck a pretty good balance - it was the ones after that took him into more ridiculous territory.
I also quite liked the visual aspects of the dreams/manifestations in this one as well.
The Nancy thing sucked, but hey...who didn't love that twist though...

Of course, now I've read there was some talk about some attempt at doing with NOES what they did with Halloween?
Heather said she'd return but is uncertain of it's direction without Wes Craven.
I could maybe get behind this if it happened though.
Ya, now that you mention it, in #1 Freddy didn't have a lot of one liners, "I'm you're boyfriend now' being the classic, and it was delivered in a very sinister way. # 3 had the one-liners for sure.

What do you mean doing with NOES what they did with Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile View Post
Sorry for so many posts, I can't figure out the multiquote yet.
Yeah I agree 2 different Freddy's the original, then the funny Freddy which started with part 3. Dream warriors is one of my favorite movies ever.

It would be nice to see a new take on NOES but I have low hopes of how it would actually turn out. The remake of NOES was a disaster and how they always say Freddy kills kids its really not true, he kills teenagers, he just still calls them kids as an adult standpoint of anyone who isn't a full grown adult is a kid. The remake took him from a killer of "kids" to being a child molester if I remember correctly. I really don't remember much of it because it wasn't memorable and really not worth rewatching.

If they do another remake, I really hope it goes in a direction between the original and part 3. As far as his face, if it aint broke don't fix it. They could use old clips of Robert England before he died from previous movies and still use Robert England (I think he's still alive). You can't see his aged face under all the makeup anyway. Plus part 1 and 3 completely avoided shots of his normal face, there wasn't clips of his past until later. I can only remember pre death Freddy scenes from Freddy's Dead. I doubt they would still use Robert England though.
After seeing New Nightmare, I don't have much interest in seeing another. But if one was to be done, the serious nightmarish tone of #1 and the imaginative imagery of #3 would a good format.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:32 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile View Post
I consider part 3 dream warriors to be one of the best horror movies ever made, even if it isn't pure horror because of the comedy/one-liners in there.

To me part 3 and 1 are among the greatest of all time. Then 4 and Freddy's Dead I like a lot but they don't hold a candle to the greatness of 1 and 3. 2 and 5 to me were crap but there is a good scene or 2. I absolutely despise New Nightmare, Freddy vs Jason and the remake.
I'm with you on the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I watched that recently and it's still bad. I only remember the opening shower scene from Part 5 and want to watch that movie again. I think I'll rewatch 3, 5, and a few others.

I only saw New Nightmare once and I think I remember it being ok. I probably reviewed it here. I have to search. I vaguely think I called it too aware like Scream without the fun since Freddy was in the real world with the actors.

At first I thought Freddy vs Jason would be horrible just like Jason X. But I watched it a long time after it was in theaters. It's an odd movie. More Nightmare on Elm Street than Friday the 13th. But it does have some good scenes which made me buy the movie. I love the opening and Katharine Isabelle's scenes. The characters are fun which is something I look for in horror movies. You can't hate all the characters which happens in a lot of modern horror movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I can't say I remember all that much of NOES 2 and 3, and oddly never saw 4 or 5. But I saw 3: Dreamwarriors at the theatre and enjoyed it. The effects were impressive.
Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is very 80s. That's probably why I like it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
For me works different I think.

1. I saw the saga as a kid and I was terrified. The final scene with Johnny Depp was so horrible I was afraid on sitting at home on a couch. Had the impression Freddy was coming to get me.
Same here. I watched the original when I was a kid and after the end, I didn't want to go to sleep or even leave my room. But I actually fell asleep during the remake the first time I watched it.

Tags
movie