#3541  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious? View Post
Watched this a couple of nights ago...pretty good, but found it overrated, although it makes a telling case of how hellish a child's world can be with unhelpful adult figures around. Rachel is the closest thing to a savior for John and Pearl. ***
Reply With Quote
  #3542  
Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM
The_Return's Avatar
The_Return The_Return is offline
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,540
Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Black Sunday / Mask of Satan (1960)

Love me some Bava.
__________________
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #3543  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Repo'd's Avatar
Repo'd Repo'd is offline
Horror > Everything
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Black Sunday / Mask of Satan (1960)

Love me some Bava.
Bava! Love his work too. Black Sunday may be my favorite of his many great flicks.
Reply With Quote
  #3544  
Old 04-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,608
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
5/10

Successful box office film in 1962. Academy Award nominations for Costume, Sound, Black and White Cinematography, Best Supporting Role for Victor Buono, and Best Actress for Bette Davis. Davis does an excellent full-tilt job as a mean, dilutional, elderly sister.

The plot is truly ridiculous. The character creations and motivations, revealed at the end, are absurdly unsatisfying. I found it subpar as suspense. The black humor was shallow and unrooted as compared to Arsenic and Old Lace. The meanness of Bette Davis' character floated without purpose or satisfaction, blunting the sting. I didn't enjoy the film... worse than a wacko without a cause, but also without any fun.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #3545  
Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
5/10

Successful box office film in 1962. Academy Award nominations for Costume, Sound, Black and White Cinematography, Best Supporting Role for Victor Buono, and Best Actress for Bette Davis. Davis does an excellent full-tilt job as a mean, dilutional, elderly sister.

The plot is truly ridiculous. The character creations and motivations, revealed at the end, are absurdly unsatisfying. I found it subpar as suspense. The black humor was shallow and unrooted as compared to Arsenic and Old Lace. The meanness of Bette Davis' character floated without purpose or satisfaction, blunting the sting. I didn't enjoy the film... worse than a wacko without a cause, but also without any fun.
Have to agree with You on this..it hasn't aged well at all. This was a movie I was forbidden to watch as a little one by Mom as it was "...a horrible movie!". Finally saw it when I was 16 and found it more amusing than anything else. The book by Henry Farrell is MUCH better.

FRANKENSTEIN (1931). Was listening to the Rudy Belmer commentary and still marveling how much zip this has for an early talkie and how good Colin Clive, Boris Karloff and Dwight Frye are-how cruel Fritz is! He's probably the most responsible for the monster's anti-social nature. ****1/2
Reply With Quote
  #3546  
Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,882
THE BLUE BIRD (1940). Finally saw this based on Sculpt's mention and while Shirley Temple had definite screen presence, way too cutesy in parts and a LOT borrowed from A CHRISTMAS CAROL and THE WIZARD OF OZ. Nice seeing Nigel bruce and Gale Sondergaard though. **
Reply With Quote
  #3547  
Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,882
THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE (1959). Silly, but fun little flick with tough Dame Beverly Garland trying to find her husband in the steamy Bayous. Good support by Freida Inescourt (THE RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE) and George Macready (PATHS OF GLORY, GILDA and COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE). However, nothing can top Lon Chaney Jr's hammy and boisterous overacting as a drunken Hooked Cajun. Also, dig the Doctors mode of transportation...I sure would like one of those! ***
Reply With Quote
  #3548  
Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Roiffalo's Avatar
Roiffalo Roiffalo is offline
HDC's werewolf enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 2,273
Time of their Lives
An Abbott and Costello movie where Costello plays a ghost from the Revolutionary War. It's a cute film, I enjoyed it enough. I would've liked to have seen it stay in the same time period and take a bit of a different route, but it had a good ending and it was cute. When Bud and Lou are involved I can't complain. Still no "Meets Frankenstein", but I recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE (1959). Silly, but fun little flick with tough Dame Beverly Garland trying to find her husband in the steamy Bayous. Good support by Freida Inescourt (THE RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE) and George Macready (PATHS OF GLORY, GILDA and COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE). However, nothing can top Lon Chaney Jr's hammy and boisterous overacting as a drunken Hooked Cajun. Also, dig the Doctors mode of transportation...I sure would like one of those! ***
Love that one! Goes without saying Lon was my favorite.
__________________
🎃 Review topic 🎃 My "to watch" list. 🎃 My art topic 🎃
🎃 Horror movies I was watching but stopped keeping track of because the site keeps dying 🎃


Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Reply With Quote
  #3549  
Old 07-11-2017, 06:59 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,882
DOCTOR OF DOOM (1962). Cheesy, campy and silly , but so much damn fun! A Mad Doctor, Half Man/Half Ape creature and two gorgeous Women wrestlers (especially Lorena Velaquez) are all in the mix. A true highlight of early 60's Mexi-Movies. ***1/2
Reply With Quote
  #3550  
Old 07-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Repo'd's Avatar
Repo'd Repo'd is offline
Horror > Everything
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,458
Alligator People
Man Made Monster
Son of Dracula
The Wolfman

Had a Lon-a-thon on the 44th anniversary of his passing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:31 AM.