Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Wanna Join?

Elementary

Watched the first episode tonight (recorded it on my trusty old vcr) and I didn't notice anyone expressing surprise or shock that the main character had not only the same name as the world's most famous detective and shared essentially his same job but also had a Dr. Watson following him around. Is this show supposed to take place on an alternate Earth? I liked the show, by the way.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Didn't Shoot Bill Murray

People aren't supposed to know of Holmes and Watson on the show. The two characters are Holmes and Watson, not just an accidental team. I liked it and will continue to watch it.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Evil is Better

I liked it but it's really nothing special. There are so many shows now that follow this same formula. The only thing this one really has that sets is apart is the Sherlock Holmes name. I'm still gonna check it out though.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Didn't Shoot Bill Murray

I thought it was pretty weird that not too long after BBC's Sherlock started, Elementary started. I guess it's not too weird, though, considering how many cop dramas there are right now but why aren't there two running shows based on other mystery characters? Just seems kind of strange to me. I guess maybe Sherlock is an "in" thing right now?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Director of the Dead

Send a message via AIM to horrorchic Send a message via Yahoo to horrorchic
Besides being an in thing, I think America has realized how successful BBC is getting with Americans and want to bring them back.

Elementary has its twist, using Watson as a female character is supposed to grab the attention of our female audience as well. Something that the British version didn't attempt.

I have to say that Sherlock Holmes (BBC) has been closer to the original story lines with some of the episodes than the couple of episodes that Elementary (America) has. Elementary has definitely kept with the ability to intrigue. We all know the story of Holmes, but with this new series, we want to know "his" story. How is he living in this modern world.

Sherlock Holmes (BBC) modernized it with the use of cell phones and email, but still seems to baffle me that the character Sherlock Holmes manages to keep his cell, rent, and so much more on a consultant job, that he seems to skip out on often. With Elementary (American) they seem to explain that away with Daddy and his trust fund. So there is more realism there.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Cranky

This is not the first time there's been a female Watson... can anyone name the other?

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Director of the Dead

Send a message via AIM to horrorchic Send a message via Yahoo to horrorchic
I'm really interested to see the answer to that question, because so far the internet boast about this being the first time it has happened.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Midnight toker

They Might be Giants- Quirky and off-beat take on the detective duo starring the great George C. Scott....

That said, I much prefer Stout's theory on things, even Holmes would've marvelled at the detctive genious of Stout. :cool:

http://www.hwslash.net/stout.html