Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Evil Dead

Was any movie ever TOO scary for you?

I guess everyone here enjoys being scared by a good horror movie - but was there ever a movie (in the horror/sci-fi genre only) that was TOO much for you to handle?

As I mentioned in another thread the other day, the first time I watched "Signs" I ran out of the room :o I am REALLY chicken when it comes to "greys"... however I have since then watched the entire movie a few times. I still find it absolutely terrifying, but I can watch it and enjoy it now.

The ONE movie I absolutely cannot stand to watch... I'll probably regret saying this :p It's "It Came From Outer Space". I know... probably not what you expected to see in a thread like this. Don't worry, I'm used to getting teased for it.

I HAVE watched the whole thing, I forced myself to do it twice as an adult because I really wanted to "get over it" - but I was so terrified that I felt physically ill and even vomited from fear.

I love spooky horror movie themes, but if I find an album and it has the theme from "It Came From Outer Space" on it, forget it... I won't even risk forgetting to skip the track.

I guess it's a trauma. When I was about 4 years old, the movie was shown on TV in 3D. My parents watched it in one living room, my grandparents in the other.

I hated the "eye monsters", but was particularly terrified of the theremin noises, and would scream my head off every time I heard it.

After watching most of the movie, I tried to "hide" from the sound, but could hear it all over the house, and no one would turn it down. Then my older brother "kindly" offered me to hide in his bedroom... his final words before he switched off the lights and locked me in the room alone was "they eyes are coming in through the window!!" :D

Since then, that damn theremin sound has haunted my nightmares.

I was able to enjoy and laugh at "Alien Trespass", even though it creeped me out... but "the real thing"? I never, ever ever EVER want to watch it again :D

What about the rest of you? Any traumas you would like to share? :D
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
HDC's old chick

When I was 13: The Exorcist. I walked out of the theatre.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Cranky

Nope. No movie has ever been too scary, though the older I get I get more squeamish at the sight of blood.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Sometimes dead is better

When I was younger I walked out of the theatre on Jeeper Creepers, but since then there really have not been very many movies that I did that. I thought about walking out on Paranormal Activity 3 and Apollo 18, but I did not. I paused the Devil Inside the first time I watched it.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
If the question is "ever", I guess I've been too scared to watch/finish numerous movies as a kid.

As an adult, I'm not ashamed to admit that I've turned movies off before. The first time I watch The Exorcist by myself I turned it off halfway through. Same with Ju-On. There was another Japanese flick that I turned off also, but I can't remember what it was called.

I go to some effort to allow myself to be immersed in a good horror film. Sometimes it works a bit too good.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Nope. No movie has ever been too scary, though the older I get I get more squeamish at the sight of blood.
I can kind of relate to that. The older I get, the more sensitive I get to realistic violence. And I think I feel more empathy for the characters as well. I've also developed an embarrasing tendency to cry during sad movies... I never did that when I was younger. I guess life experience does that to you.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Evil Dead

When I was in grade school, I was up all night with nightmares after watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78). I've probably never been so scared in my life.

I had a similar experience after watching The Shining as a kid, but the memory is not quite as traumatic.

I had to close my eyes for a couple parts when I saw Watcher in the Woods in the theater, and it left me shaken afterwards.

I couldn't bring myself to see The Exorcist until probably somewhere around age 30. I remember a time in my 20s where I had it on in the other room while I was taping it. I was afraid to go in that room until the film was over, and I ended up never watching the tape.

These days, there's not too much that I can say will scare me too much, although there are certain things that I almost just don't want to see. Martyrs was a difficult watch, although ended up as one of my favorites (I believe the intent is to induce a state of numbness in the viewer, similar to the character's). I nearly had to fast forward the scene in Irreversible. I will probably never watch A Serbian Film.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
I can kind of relate to that. The older I get, the more sensitive I get to realistic violence. And I think I feel more empathy for the characters as well. I've also developed an embarrasing tendency to cry during sad movies... I never did that when I was younger. I guess life experience does that to you.
Exactly. You develop empathy. I cry at sad movies too. Don't be embarressed. It just means you're human.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Bronson

Here are a few films I won't watch again cause I found them too disturbing:

"Requiem for a Dream"
"A Clockwork Orange" (even though I love Kubrick)
"Henry: A Portrait of a Killer"
"Silent Night"
"Jennifer": Masters of Horror
"Imprint": Masters of Horror (Ironically I own both on DVD but won't watch again)
"The Last House on the Left"

Also if you want to check out some nutty disturbing stuff here's a list compiled on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/list/JrGAWfo8AUE/
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 AM
That fucking Guy...

A few years back, I was stoned and went to watch "Idle Hands" on DVD.
I'd seen it before, maybe even multiple times...even knowing the overall tone of the movie was heavily towards comedy, the opening scene kind've gave me something like a miniature panic attack and I hadda turn it off.

Generally speaking though, nothing has made me shy away...even as a child, I didn't mind being scared of things. I'd just watch on, fascinated and a little petrified...being a child of the 80's and otherwise horror enthusiast not a lot these days gets to me, if it can actually scare me or make me feel on-edge, by God I'll stay glued to it, because that's a fucking rarity.

Quote:
Here are a few films I won't watch again cause I found them too disturbing:

"Requiem for a Dream"
"A Clockwork Orange" (even though I love Kubrick)
"Henry: A Portrait of a Killer"
"Silent Night"
"Jennifer": Masters of Horror
"Imprint": Masters of Horror (Ironically I own both on DVD but won't watch again)
"The Last House on the Left"

Also if you want to check out some nutty disturbing stuff here's a list compiled on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/list/JrGAWfo8AUE/
I think you'd like "Man bites dog" and "A Serbian film".

Tags
too scary