Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
eerie eddie

Thomas Edisons "Frankenstein"

Has anyone heard about, or seen this? My grandpa somehow got it and made me a copy on DVD. It's about 15 minutes long and pretty old.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
I know that Thomas Edison made the very 1st Frankenstien movie back in 1910. Actor Charles Ogle was the monster Ogle also did his own make up. A few years later in 1915 actor Percy Darrell played the monster in the 2nd Frankenstien movie titled Life without a soul. The movie Life without a soul was produced by Ocean Film Corporation but was later dropped and taken over by Raver Film corperation. Mr Raver is credited with adding scientific scenes to the movie. Many if not all horror movie fans know of the 3rd Frankenstien movie made in 1931 staring William Henry Pratt a.k.a. Boris Karloff and made by Universal studios.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Backyard Waterfall

I've never seen the whole thing, only scenes from it. I understand it was "lost" for many years.

The Monster's "birth scene" is pretty hella cool...they built a puppet skeleton and molded flesh over it in wax, melted the wax on camera while the skeleton writhed, and then printed the footage in reverse to show the flesh oozing up out of the steaming vat onto the skeleton. Pretty darn advanced, considering this was the dawn of filmmaking!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Fulci Lives!

Send a message via AIM to MrShape Send a message via MSN to MrShape Send a message via Yahoo to MrShape
Re: Thomas Edisons "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally posted by eerie eddie
Has anyone heard about, or seen this? My grandpa somehow got it and made me a copy on DVD. It's about 15 minutes long and pretty old.
Shit! How do the rest of us find a copy? I thought that one was lost, lost, lost.:D
Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Evil Dead

Mr. Shape there was a DVD that has 1910 Edison Frankenstien and 1922 Nosferatu I had a site that was selling them bookmarked but I seem to have lost the site when I switched computers. Anyway just try a search who knows maybe its listed someplace.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Evil Dead

I recorded a Horror Special off of the SCi-Fi Channel a few years back and it actually had a few scenes from Edisons' Frankenstein, Specifically the "birth scene"
Old 02-03-2005, 01:17 PM
eerie eddie

Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
I've never seen the whole thing, only scenes from it. I understand it was "lost" for many years.

The Monster's "birth scene" is pretty hella cool...they built a puppet skeleton and molded flesh over it in wax, melted the wax on camera while the skeleton writhed, and then printed the footage in reverse to show the flesh oozing up out of the steaming vat onto the skeleton. Pretty darn advanced, considering this was the dawn of filmmaking!
Yeah it was.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira
Mr. Shape there was a DVD that has 1910 Edison Frankenstien and 1922 Nosferatu I had a site that was selling them bookmarked but I seem to have lost the site when I switched computers. Anyway just try a search who knows maybe its listed someplace.
My best friend has the original 1922 Nosferatu :D
Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Evil Dead

Well MoviesUnlimited has Nosferatu 1922 on VHS and DVD
Old 02-05-2005, 09:31 AM
I Am Male.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliot_Voorhees
My best friend has the original 1922 Nosferatu :D
BIG DEAL. I have like 6 Nosferatu's.

I have so many silent horror films.....

My top 5 silent horror films....

5. The Golem

4. Phantom of The Opera

3. Un Chien Andalou

2. Nosferatu

1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.