Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Cooking With HDC

Some of you may know, I'm quite an avid chef. I don't pretend to be an expert and I know some (looking at you, Cheebs) are far better than I, but hey ho. I know we've had a couple of food/recipe threads here in the past but I thought a clean slate might be good.

Basically, I always enjoy finding out new recipes/sharing my own, so please, share! And extra points for shamelessly instagrammed photos...I know I do it, even if I hate myself a little for it.

As it was my 2 year anniversary last week I made a celebratory dinner. Perhaps the main thing with my food is that I don't tend to use exact measurements, just play it by ear and what mood I'm in, so don't expect too much specificity.

Red Onion and Goats Cheese Tart

This was pretty simple. Some pre-rolled puff pastry (I'll make shortcrust but fuck puff. Fuck it and it's layers). I just caramelised the onions with some brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and put it on top with some grated hard goat's cheese. Baked until brown.

Lamb Burgers with Onion Rings

The burger was just a combination of standard lamb mince, quite a lot of fresh mint, some chilli flakes and shallots. Smushed it all together and formed patties which I fried in a griddle pan. The onion rings were made from the rest of the red onions. Dunked in a beer batter (1 cup each of flour and Hobgoblin ale) and then breadcrumbs, then shallow fried until crispy. Served with some Oven wedges and salad.

Big Massive Fuck Off Sundaes

The Boyfriend has a sweet tooth but is terrible at decisions. Fruit or chocolate? I decided...why decide?

The Ferrets like it...

Last edited by ferretchucker; 11-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 AM
HDC's old chick

Your pictures aren't showing

And, I want you to cook for me! :D
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Evil Dead

I clicked here anticipating something gruesome à la Hannibal Lecter :rolleyes:

Pictures not showing for me either, although that onion and goat's cheese thingy sounds rather yummy.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Good lord, first my essay and now this - I must get better at hyperlinks!

In this case I'll just send you my shared Evernote post for the meal. Next time it'll be embedded pictures :p

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s271/...dc1df18372c771

The Ferrets like it...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Evil Puppy

I haven't made anything fun yet this fall season... except for some home-made pumpkin pies (the smell of pie pumpkins baking before you scrape them out is fantastic). Your meal makes me want to get into the kitchen tomorrow... it looks fantastic!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I haven't made anything fun yet this fall season... except for some home-made pumpkin pies (the smell of pie pumpkins baking before you scrape them out is fantastic). Your meal makes me want to get into the kitchen tomorrow... it looks fantastic!
Thanks, Despare :) I feel as though Pumpkin pie is one of those great all-American dishes that somehow eludes us here in the UK. I've only ever had it once, and that was at an American friend's Halloween party. For all the pumpkins we have here at this time of year seems a damn waste. I mean, I'm guessing the filling isn't too tough? Pumpkin, flour, sugar, cinnamon?

The Ferrets like it...
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 AM
HDC's old chick

I'm with you, Despare. Fall and winter is when I do most of my cooking. I'll have to start sharing pictures now! :D

I love making chili and beef stew in the crockpot. I also have some new recipes that I'm looking forward to making.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I was working on a cook book just for my own use) at one stage but I kinda lost interest. Here are a few rough unfinished page mock ups:

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

That cookbook is unbelievably cool, Ferox! I love how each page has a different horror theme to it too, would have been too easy to stick with the same design for every recipe. Variations are also really useful.

Did a work trial at a local providore today so reaping the benefits of cheaper ingredients.

This was just a simple Goats Cheese and Salami Pasta, although the salami had fennel in it which was LOVELY. Very nice. Just mixed the pasta with a thick balsamic spread and some oregano to garnish.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Evil Dead

That's brilliant Ferox :D