Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
The most metal shit you've ever heard.

ive just stumbled upon what has to be "the most metal band on the planet"
Mayhem.
please, oh go please take the time to read this. these guys go to a whole new extreme.

By the summer of 1988 both Manheim and Maniac had left the band; Manheim, tired of 'the life', tried to get a 'real' job, Maniac, following a failed suicide attempt was confined to a mental institution. After two brief replacements, their positions were filled by Swede Dead (Per Yngve Ohlin, previously of Morbid), and scene drummer Hellhammer (Jan Axel Blomberg). Dead, as suggested by his stage name, was melancholic by nature and fascinated by death, decay, and darkness. He left even Euronymous expressing concern for his mental stability. Despite this he was well liked on the scene, though regarded as a little naïve.

According to Bard Eithun "He (Dead) wasn't a guy you could know very well. I think even the other guys in Mayhem didn't know him very well. He was hard to get close to. I met him two weeks before he died. I'd met him maybe six to eight times, all in all. He had lots of weird ideas. I remember Aarseth was talking about him and said he did not have any humour. He did, but it was very obscure. Honestly, I don't think he was enjoying living in this world." [1]

Dead had, over time, carefully cultivated a notoriety for strange behaviour; once burying a set of clothes underground for weeks so that he could later wear the decaying rags on stage[citation needed]. He had kept a rotting raven in a plastic bag so better to "inhale the scent of death" before going on stage[citation needed]. Such morbid fascinations and antics further developed Mayhem's progressing musical atmosphere, and by this point the band's lyrics had moved increasingly toward Satanism, darkness, depression and evil. A focal point of gigs at this time was the planting of pigs' heads on stakes, center stage, and Dead cutting himself with a knife.

The new lineup with Dead and Euronymous was quickly to become the band's most notorious. After some live gigs in Norway and Germany (where Live in Leipzig was recorded), Mayhem started working on their first full length album: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Lord Satan's Secret Rites), though by the time of its eventual release the two cornerstone members would be dead.

[edit] Classic line-up (1991-1993)

By April 1991, Dead was found dead at the age of 22, having suffered a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head and several lacerations to the wrists, inflicted by a knife he had bought that day. Dead committed suicide in a house he was sharing in Kråkstad with the other members of the band, and left a note saying "Excuse all the blood"[2] Other members of the band claimed it was more extensive, also saying "The knife was too dull to finish the job so I had to use the shotgun." Euronymous was first to discover the body, and took a series of photographs of the corpse, one of which was later stolen and used as cover art for the bootleg album Dawn of the Black Hearts.

According to Occultus, who briefly took position as vocalist after Dead's suicide: "He (Dead) didn't see himself as human; he saw himself as a creature from another world. He said he had many visions that his blood has frozen in his veins, that he was dead. That is the reason he took that name. He knew he would die.."[3]

The shells used had been sent to him by Bergen, Norway musician Kristian Vikernes (aka Varg Vikernes, Count Grishnackh; ex Old Funeral, sole member of black metal band Burzum, later convicted murderer of Euronymous). Euronymous was particularly cold and opportunistic about Dead's suicide; in interviews he claimed, speciously, that Dead had killed himself due to the rising popularity of death metal, the American movement Black Metal had risen against. Hellhammer claimed that Euronymous had taken pieces of Dead's brain and made a stew, in which he had put ham, frozen vegetables, and pepper: "He'd always said he wanted to eat flesh, so he figured this was an easy way." However, Euronymous later admitted that he had not actually eaten any part of Dead's body, though he had intended to. Euronymous also claimed to have collected and forged fragments of Dead's skull into necklaces, sending pieces to those he felt 'worthy' (amongst those rumoured to be in possession of such pieces are the members of Swedish black metal band Marduk & Abruptum). Hellhammer has said he made a necklace from Dead's skull fragments as well.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
I'm not reading all of that, but I saw them talk about this on TV. The singer killed himself and they used it for an album cover.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lackHearts.jpg

That album cover. Obviously don't click if you're squeamish.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Evil Dead

dude kept a dead bird in a plastic bag a smelled it from time to time. he wanted to "inhale the scent of death" he was insane.

the best part was his suicide note.

"Excuse all the blood. The knife was too dull to finish the job so I had to use the shotgun."

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Misanthrope

Haven't found a album of theirs I've liked yet (only heard the later stuff). The early shit sounds dope tho might give 'em another try.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Evil Dead

i dont like any of their stuff personally. the vocals sound like nails on a chalkboard. im not a huge black/death metal fan either though.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I remember seeing something about them on TV awhile back.It said that Dead and that other guy Euronymous where in sorta like to a contest to who could be the most brutal or something like that and thats why he ate the guys brains.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Evil Dead

wikipedia said he never actually went though with eating it.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Horroritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Haven't found a album of theirs I've liked yet (only heard the later stuff). The early shit sounds dope tho might give 'em another try.

You should, the early stuff is way better.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Guadalupe View Post
You should, the early stuff is way better.
What album would you recommend? I like stuff like Bathory and Darkthrone...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Returning after eternity.

Most metal? Possibly. Although Burzum is right up there too, with burning churches down.