Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Tenant

I hate what you love.

Alright, there's always that famous or classic horror movie that everyone loves that you just don't like. What is it?

Mine's The Omen. Besides the ending and the beheading, I just didn't think it was all it was hyped up to be.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

i cant think of any horror ones .. i hate the ones most people hate.

but other films ..yep

i hated rainman, titanic, tons of them
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Depends...you say hate in the title...I dont hate any of the ones people say are great.

However, I thought The Exorcist was very diapointing. Sure, it was pretty good, but I cant uderstand for the life of me why people love it so much? Especially after reading the book, it was a huge letdown. The book is alot better, IMO. The main thing I didnt like about the movie was the lack of character development compared to the book. Father Karras was the best example of this, in the book he was a great, indepth character...in the movie, we hardly know anything about him. To some extent, same with the detective.

If I hadnt read the book, I probably woulda liked it alot more....
Old 06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
wait a second... you don't like a movie b/c it's not as good as the book? then you must hate almost every movie ever made from a book! and to complain about the Exorcist b/c of its lack of character development is like complaining that Dawn of the Dead didn't have enough zombies! 95% of the film is nothing but character development! the only "action" really is the 20 minute climax of the exorcism at the end. sure, there are other exciting moments (crucifucktion being one of them), but you have to admit, compared to most horror movies, the Exorcist was more centered on characters and drama. I mean, how much of a developed character is Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger?

I'll agree that the characters were more developed in the book, but what movie based on a book isn't exactly that way? Basically, unless you wanted the Exorcist to be about 10 hours longer than it already was, there was no way for them to fit any more character development into the script, especially if they wanted the film to retain its overall impact.

I don't mean to personally attack you, but I cannot understand your point of view at all.

Last edited by knife_fight; 06-11-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Tenant

Ahh, this is exactly what I wanted out of this thread. :D
Old 06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by knife_fight
wait a second... you don't like a movie b/c it's not as good as the book? then you must hate almost every movie ever made from a book! and to complain about the Exorcist b/c of its lack of character development is like complaining that Dawn of the Dead didn't have enough zombies! 95% of the film is nothing but character development! the only "action" really is the 20 minute climax of the exorcism at the end. sure, there are other exciting moments (crucifucktion being one of them), but you have to admit, compared to most horror movies, the Exorcist was more centered on characters and drama. I mean, how much of a developed character is Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger?

I'll agree that the characters were more developed in the book, but what movie based on a book isn't exactly that way? Basically, unless you wanted the Exorcist to be about 10 hours longer than it already was, there was no way for them to fit any more character development into the script, especially if they wanted the film to retain its overall impact.

I don't mean to personally attack you, but I cannot understand your point of view at all.
I gaurntee you If Id read the books for half the other movies out there, Id be disapointed with the films too. Thats why I usually dont bother to read the book, just watch the movie:p

But I really dont see where you found the character development in there? I found that basically, they just introduced the characters and said a bit about them, and that was all. Dont get me wrong, Im not sayng that this was a bad movie, overall it was pretty good. Just not as good as it is hyped up to me. This is all my opinion however, and Im not trying to knock yours.

And btw Alky...you started the thread, but no imput yet! Whats the deal?:p
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Tenant

Haha sorry. Like I said, The Omen, man...hmm, lemme think...what else...

Although it's not horror, I really didn't like Dr. Strangelove, yet I love Kubrick and I LOVE Peter Sellers.

I thought Hellraiser was kinda dumb, but that's not neccessarily huge as far as popularity goes...
Old 06-11-2005, 04:18 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666

Although it's not horror, I really didn't like Dr. Strangelove, yet I love Kubrick and I LOVE Peter Sellers.

I thought Hellraiser was kinda dumb, but that's not neccessarily huge as far as popularity goes...
Oh god...I missed the bottom part of your post...nevermind then:)

I havnt seen any of your picks yet....I plan to rent Dr. Stranglove next week...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666

You don't like Dr. Strangelove? You are a Peter Sellers fan and you don't like Dr. Strangelove? I am shocked....:D I laugh my ass off everytime I watch that film.

Hellraiser is one of my favorites, but I can understand why someone wouldn't particularly care for it.

Mine would be The Ring, I guess. It seemed like everybody and their mother loved that film. I guess my expectations were too high, because by the time I actually saw it, I was very disappointed.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok

i hated rainman, titanic, tons of them
You're not alone in hating Titanic! God that movie is some true cinematic shit. I've liked just about every horror movie I've seen but I used to argue with avenger about Waxwork (I hated it but it was one of his favorites) and a lot of people liked the Australian movie Undead but I fucking hated it.

Can't understand anyone not liking Dr Strangelove :confused: fantastic film.