Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Zen Dealer

Things I Learned Watching Classic TV And Films...

1. Quicksand is EVERYWHERE - You have no hope of escape on your own but any crappy twig is sufficiently strong enough to pull you free.

2. Tarantulas are deadly to humans - If a tarantula is introduced to a room the first thing it will do is search for a human sleeping on a bed and climb on their chest.

3. Robots are a serious danger - Despite the average speed of 5 mph and lack of sophisticated weaponry, robots are a deadly threat. That is unless you throw water on them (which usually destroys them) or just walk away from them at speeds in excess of 5 mph.

4. Doctors are horribly incompetent - They always fail to notice the "strange markings" on accident victims and don't find things like complete loss of blood or missing brains particularly unusual. They usually conclude that such things suggest a heart attack or death from shock.

5. The guy in the castle did it - If there is an old castle on a hill in your area, especially if it has a laboratory, that is where all of your vampires, mutated monsters or evil robots are coming from.

6. Eternal youth and Immortality are scams - I don't care what ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead you found or which Voodoo priest is making these claims, if you try them you will be dead by the end of the film no matter how well it seems to be working at first.

7. Don't trust the guy in the Fez - He is either a terrorist, enemy agent or he is controlling resurrected mummies. He probably knows the guy working in the laboratory at that creepy ass castle on the hill.

8. Handguns make great thrown objects - If you just fired all of your rounds into a given monster or robot to no effect it is worth a try to throw the empty handgun at the monster or robot. After all if 6 rounds of .38 or 7 rounds of .45 didn't work, being hit by a pound of metal might just do the trick.

9. People kept a lot of rope back then - Seems no matter where you are if you just look around for a minute you will find a long, sturdy rope which will be the sufficient length required to escape from your given predicament.

10. Everyone knows Judo - Male. female, young or old it doesn't matter. Better keep an eye out for that chop to the back of the neck and that back rolling throw.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

nice.......but #8 never ever was effective. They usually missed or it just bounced off the intended target.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
nice.......but #8 never ever was effective. They usually missed or it just bounced off the intended target.

The sarcasm was implied. Of course it never worked.

;)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I miss Quicksand.

As a child I always felt it was a constant threat. Kids today don't know the dangers of it and the shocking image of the last piece of a person body dissapearing into it.

Monkeys wearing fezs can also be just as evil as the (usually fat) bad guy wearing one. Actually I'd extend to any simian wearing head gear. Its a dead giveaway like some one wearing raybans and a uniform in a 3rd world country.

Always been a fan of Judo in old flicks - as well as the famous 'Judo Chop' theres actually some real Judo in some of these flicks. Blood on the Sun starring James Cagney (who was a Judoka Black Belt) has some great moves in it. Sands of Imo Jimo has the Duke practicing the gentle art and the original Cape Fear shows Max Cady taking out a guy with a rear naked choke (while topless).But my fave intro to Judo came with 70's TV for me with Captain Kirk and his flawless Tomenage (monkey flip to us ignorant Gaijin).

As for rope - some people still keep a coil handy. I for one have a good length in my car boot along with a roll of plastic sheeting, duct tape and a sack of quicklime. Be prepared is my motto.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post

Always been a fan of Judo in old flicks - as well as the famous 'Judo Chop' theres actually some real Judo in some of these flicks. Blood on the Sun starring James Cagney (who was a Judoka Black Belt) has some great moves in it. Sands of Imo Jimo has the Duke practicing the gentle art and the original Cape Fear shows Max Cady taking out a guy with a rear naked choke (while topless).But my fave intro to Judo came with 70's TV for me with Captain Kirk and his flawless Tomenage (monkey flip to us ignorant Gaijin).

Glad to know I'm not the only bugeisha on the forum. Did you know President Teddy Roosevelt was also a Judoka and brought a teacher from Japan to train him at the white house? Always loved Blood on the Sun for the martial arts and as a WWII related film. Another good one is Kurosawas Sanshiro Sugata aka The Judo Story (1943).

If you haven't read it, you might enjoy The Fighting Spirit by E.J. Harrison which was written in 1912 by one of the first westerners to become truly proficient in Japanese martial arts, especially Judo and various Jujutsu ryu.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM

DIdn't know about Roosevelt - I do know Abe Lincoln was a wrestler though (Greco-Roman I think). James Caan was meant to a high grade in Karate but after seeing Killer Elite, I'm not sure..

Guy Ritchie is another famous Judoka.

Do you train or are you just a fan?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
DIdn't know about Roosevelt - I do know Abe Lincoln was a wrestler though (Greco-Roman I think). James Caan was meant to a high grade in Karate but after seeing Killer Elite, I'm not sure..

Guy Ritchie is another famous Judoka.

Do you train or are you just a fan?
Caan actually trained with Tak Kubota who was also featured in the Killer Elite. While not terribly visually impressive, most actual martial arts are not. Having seen a few demonstrations on things like the Tonight Show he is a serious martial artist but still a long ways from being Donn Draeger. With celebrities you always need to take Yudansha grades with a grain of salt, kind of like Elvis and his 8th Dan grade under Ed Parker.

I have been involved with martial arts for about 35 years now. Primarily Okinawan Te and Kobu systems, classical Japanese Budo and Bujutsu systems and Chinese boxing styles. I have studied approx. 40 systems in that time, I am a teacher of about 8 of those systems.

I'm also a huge movie junkie so I am also a fan of Chanbara / Jidaigeki films, Shaw Brothers classics and of course the late, great Bruce Lee who is responsible for my initial interest in the martial arts.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM

You have a few years on me training (and I haven't for a few years).

I started doing TKD - which I continued for about 12 years. During which I did about 4 years of Traditional Ju Jitsu and Boxing. I then went on to do about 4 years of MMA (BJJ plus Thai boxing)..
Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Steyr,

How do youy feel about Mixed Martial Arts as some one who has a huge knowledge of Traditional martial arts?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Steyr,

How do youy feel about Mixed Martial Arts as some one who has a huge knowledge of Traditional martial arts?

As with most things it has good an bad.

It is good because most practitioners train for a more realistic contact based environment. They tend to be in good shape and have a practical knowledge base.

The bad is it is still a sport with the confines of rules and regulations which don't translate directly to real fighting. Otherwise everytime somebody had a match somebody would go to the ER with life threatening injuries.

Basically it is the same difference between karate and boxing. The karate guy has a far more lethal arsenal of techniques but usually can't come close to the physical conditioning of a boxer. The boxer is in superior condition and can take and deliver very real hits, but has a very limited arsenal of weapons and no real finishing techniques.

The concept is also hardly new. In the days when martial artists fought for their lives the idea that a person would know only one system would be foolish. The Chinese boxing experts, the Japanese swordsmen and the Okinawans all sought to know (or have knowledge of) a wide variety of systems.

It was the Japanese in the early 20th century who came up with the notion of "pick one" and dedicate your entire life to it. Americans rediscovered "mixing systems" by the late 1960s when they began to create modern eclectics such as Kajukenbo, American Kenpo and concept arts like Jeet Kune Do. Kajukenbo is actually a combination of the words Karate, Judo, Kenpo and Boxing.

The only real difference is now it is a sport and guys are wearing speedos.