Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
HDC Idol

Zombie Vs Shark

So I just watched the vernerable Fulci's Zombie for the first time and was witness to quite possibly the best showdown in horror movie history ever: SHARK VS ZOMBIE.

For those who haven't seen the movie, I found the scene on YouTube here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0

Essentially, the crew takes a real shark, dopes it up, and sends a crazy stuntman dressed in zombie garb to wrastle it.

Aside from this scene being amazing, it brought up a few questions:
  • After the shark chews off the zombie's arm, does it now become a zombie shark?
  • If the shark is, indeed, a zombie shark, does it go after other sharks and thus perpetuate the subversive zombie agenda underseas?
  • Could a bite from this zombie shark spread the zombie virus back to people?

Or, more importantly, let's talk about Fulci's movies. This is the firs and only Fulci that I've seen. What do people think about Zombie (Zombie 2), and Fulci's work in general? I figure since we have 2 Argento threads, we might as well spread the Giallo Love (or Hate as it may be).

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So I just watched the vernerable Fulci's Zombie for the first time and was witness to quite possibly the best showdown in horror movie history ever: SHARK VS ZOMBIE.
ah! mazel tov! mazel tov!

Quote:
Aside from this scene being amazing, it brought up a few questions:
  • After the shark chews off the zombie's arm, does it now become a zombie shark?
  • If the shark is, indeed, a zombie shark, does it go after other sharks and thus perpetuate the subversive zombie agenda underseas?
  • Could a bite from this zombie shark spread the zombie virus back to people?
let's see:
  1. sharks have incredible immune systems: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._diseases.html
    so they'd at least have a way better chance of not turning (or a chance, period).
  2. if a bite from a zombie human turned the shark into a zombie shark, i don't see why it wouldn't perpetuate the zombie virus underseas. after all, brain activity in human zombies is reduced to something primal. only the need to satisfy hunger drives them. it'd be the same in a shark, i guess.
  3. i don't see why not.

Quote:
Or, more importantly, let's talk about Fulci's movies. This is the firs and only Fulci that I've seen. What do people think about Zombie (Zombie 2), and Fulci's work in general? I figure since we have 2 Argento threads, we might as well spread the Giallo Love (or Hate as it may be).
i really enjoy fulci's work (mostly). he's made quite a few duds, too, of course. i really enjoy the beyond, the house by the cemetery, don't torture a duckling, lizard in a woman's skin, and he's even made some spaghetti westerns.

Last edited by fortunato; 03-07-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
[*]if a bite from a zombie human turned the shark into a zombie shark, i don't see why it wouldn't perpetuate the zombie virus underseas. after all, brain activity in human zombies is reduced to something primal. only the need to satisfy hunger drives them. it'd be the same in a shark, i guess.
Isn't that pretty much what sharks are about anyway...eating and making baby sharks? As a zombie they would be reduced to just the eating piece.

Hey, what happens to those little sucker fish that cling to the shark? Do they also become zombified?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
if a bite from a zombie human turned the shark into a zombie shark, i don't see why it wouldn't perpetuate the zombie virus underseas. after all, brain activity in human zombies is reduced to something primal. only the need to satisfy hunger drives them. it'd be the same in a shark, i guess.
So the first thing that I thought of when I read this comment:

Crossover.

Good point - For zombies, brain activity is reduced to something primal, similar to a shark. But what if these are super-brain-shark zombies.

DEEP BLUE SEA II, anyone?!?!?!?!

I think we have a pitch here, Fortunado.

Quote:
i really enjoy fulci's work (mostly). he's made quite a few duds, too, of course. i really enjoy the beyond, the house by the cemetery, don't torture a duckling, lizard in a woman's skin, and he's even made some spaghetti westerns.
I currently have Don't Torture a Duckling and Lizard in Woman's Skin next on my Netflix queue. Unfortunately, The Beyond wasn't available, which... Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'll check out The House by the Cemetery too - Thanks for the rec. I honestly thought that his direction was really well done (the shower to the eye-gouging scene was simply beautiful, creepy, and well composed). I thought that Fulci handled his limited budget excellently and balanced the right amount of gore and gratuitous nudity, and wraps things up in a nice bleak ending. It was honestly a 4-star for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWanderer View Post
Hey, what happens to those little sucker fish that cling to the shark? Do they also become zombified?
Depends. I'd imagine that the undead sharks would suffer from the same dead skin issues that human zombies have, so their shark skin would peel, and it would come off on the suckers' lips and its ingestion would most likely spread the zombie virus.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
whatever gets you through

zombie monkey sharks - - - - damn that's cool
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Banned

The zombie vs shark scene was very cool.

almost as cool as Batman vs shark.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
So the first thing that I thought of when I read this comment:

Crossover.

Good point - For zombies, brain activity is reduced to something primal, similar to a shark. But what if these are super-brain-shark zombies.

DEEP BLUE SEA II, anyone?!?!?!?!

I think we have a pitch here, Fortunado.
ooo, yes. i'd say we do!
let's see...

government experimentation on sharks (perhaps they're trying to figure out what makes their immune systems so awesome so that they may harvest something to use in humans) leads to a freak accident, releasing a horde of super-brain sharks in the ocean (right near a heavily-populated shore, of course). then, when some sort of radioactive freak chemical also gets dumped into the water (somehow...), the sharks become super-brain shark zombies. this heavily-population shore town has no idea what they're in for. it's...

megalodamnation: attack of the super-brain shark zombies!!!

sweet, now if only we could get a horror legend to direct it... (where's rod?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
zombie monkey sharks - - - - damn that's cool
actually, this is a good idea too. maybe we can incorporate this into the inevitable sequel. zero, we'll definitely need you to help as a monkey consultant. they only problem is: how might a zombie monkey shark fling poo with only a fin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
oh that scene is sooo hilarious.

"robin, hand me the bat-shark repellent!"

*batman sprays shark vigorously whilst kicking it in the face*
*shark falls and explodes*
Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
The zombie vs shark scene was very cool.

Now my second favorite SHARK BATTLE scene of all time (followed by Mr. LL Cool J of course). I simply had to YouTube it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0UJaprpxrk

Newb - Will you be the Robin to my Batman? I want to see you in those green bikini bottoms.

Quote:
ooo, yes. i'd say we do!
let's see...

government experimentation on sharks (perhaps they're trying to figure out what makes their immune systems so awesome so that they may harvest something to use in humans) leads to a freak accident, releasing a horde of super-brain sharks in the ocean (right near a heavily-populated shore, of course). then, when some sort of radioactive freak chemical also gets dumped into the water (somehow...), the sharks become super-brain shark zombies. this heavily-population shore town has no idea what they're in for. it's...

megalodamnation: attack of the super-brain shark zombies!!!

sweet, now if only we could get a horror legend to direct it... (where's rod?)
megalodamnation - I think I love you.

Could this cinematic zombie-infested shore be host to a nudist paradise? Oh, I think so too.

AND as a byproduct of this freak radioactive chemical, the sharks suddenly... GROW LEGS!

*envisions super-brain shark zombies running on two legs through a beachside nudist colony*

Beautiful.

Holy shit! So I just google image-searched "shark candygram" so as to get a really cheesy image of a guy dressed up as a shark to prove my point... But instead I found Malaysian Fisherman Reels in Shark with Webbed Feet!

My GOD, they're already here.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Day of the Dead

To me, Fulci as a filmmaker held a lot of potential. His early gialli, Una Lucertola con la Pelle di Donna (A Lizard in a Woman's Skin) and Non si Sevizia un Paperino (Don't Torture The Duckling) showed intelligence, eyes for details and a swarthy outlook for the plots he constructed.

Even when he achieved much critical and popular success for Zombi 2, E tu Vivrai nel Terrore - L'aldila (The Beyond) and Lo Squartatore di New York (The New York Ripper), his vapid sense of adding sensationalism to gore affected his genius in film-making. He was great at utilising a film budget, and often got the best out of the meagre resources at hand, but overall, Fulci remains a pale shadow of a brilliant self - much like Dr Freudstein of his trademark film, Quella villa accanto al cimitero (The House by the Cemetery). He will always be remembered as someone who delivered much lesser than what he had potential for.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Could this cinematic zombie-infested shore be host to a nudist paradise? Oh, I think so too.

AND as a byproduct of this freak radioactive chemical, the sharks suddenly... GROW LEGS!

*envisions super-brain shark zombies running on two legs through a beachside nudist colony*

Beautiful.
oh, perfect!
so it'll actually be: super-brain shark zombies running on two legs through a beachside nudist colony, tearing through beautiful nude women, flinging gore all about as everyone else panics, running into each other.

Quote:

Holy shit! So I just google image-searched "shark candygram" so as to get a really cheesy image of a guy dressed up as a shark to prove my point... But instead I found Malaysian Fisherman Reels in Shark with Webbed Feet!

My GOD, they're already here.
ah! it looks like megalodamnation just got scarier!

beachside nudist paradises beware!