Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:19 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 629
Anyone here ever have a genuine strange encounter before?

I'm of course talking about things like ghosts, UFOs, Bigfoot, etc. You know, the kind of things that have never been proven to exist but people around the world claim to have seen.

One time when I was staying at my Aunt's house a couple of years ago I had something very strange happen to me. My Aunt lives in a very old house that was built in the 1800's but not only that her youngest son also died in a car accident a couple of years ago when he was just a little kid.

So anyways one night I was staying there by myself while everybody else in the house was gone, and I swear I am not making this up, but I heard a sound like little feet running up and down the wooden floors in the big hallway by the stairs. I went into the hallway to check and see what was making that sound and nothing was in there. Then once I went back into the living room I heard the same noise again.

There was also a night when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom in the same house and I could have sworn that I heard what sounded like xylophone music being played.

Now like I said before I am an atheist, but that seemed very much like a ghost phenomenon to me and nobody believes me when I talk about it. I mean how can you explain something like that? Maybe there really is an afterlife when we die...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I'm of course talking about things like ghosts, UFOs, Bigfoot, etc. You know, the kind of things that have never been proven to exist but people around the world claim to have seen.

One time when I was staying at my Aunt's house a couple of years ago I had something very strange happen to me. My Aunt lives in a very old house that was built in the 1800's but not only that her youngest son also died in a car accident a couple of years ago when he was just a little kid.

So anyways one night I was staying there by myself while everybody else in the house was gone, and I swear I am not making this up, but I heard a sound like little feet running up and down the wooden floors in the big hallway by the stairs. I went into the hallway to check and see what was making that sound and nothing was in there. Then once I went back into the living room I heard the same noise again.

There was also a night when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom in the same house and I could have sworn that I heard what sounded like xylophone music being played.

Now like I said before I am an atheist, but that seemed very much like a ghost phenomenon to me and nobody believes me when I talk about it. I mean how can you explain something like that? Maybe there really is an afterlife when we die...
I believe you heard those sounds. I don't know why anyone would doubt that. Maybe they just doubted your conclusions. Having lived in a big old house, I know sounds get thrown around through the wood, airducts, pipes, echoes bounce around... that is to say, when something is running on the roof (like a raccoon/squirrel) it's really difficult to pinpoint it's actual location. And of course a house makes sounds that mimic other sounds, so settling and house functions can sound like footfalls.

Just saying, you know what you heard, but it's really difficult to make any conclusions beyond what you heard. If you must, I'd suggest Occam's razor: the simplest solution tends to be the right one. You looked and didn't see anything with little feet, so the sound was unidentified. The next most logical, simplest solution would be animal running on the roof, branch tapping, or a house structure or function sound that sounded similar to little feet running. House sounds are something you've actually verified experientially, whereas ghost footsteps are not. You probably know when we perceive something, our brains are quick to fill in the blanks.

Incidentally, bathrooms are a place people often hear music or voices, which I assume is particular to the bathroom exhaust structures, also the small room and a higher likelihood of bare walls, and no less our stricter attention to sounds.

Still, life after death is a fantastic study. There are actual published experiments in this and related fields. Coming to a conclusion, or not, on the house sounds need not tilt your conclusions on the afterlife. = )
__________________
.
.
.
.


Last edited by Sculpt; 07-04-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I believe you heard those sounds. I don't know why anyone would doubt that. Maybe they just doubted your conclusions. Having lived in a big old house, I know sounds get thrown around through the wood, airducts, pipes, echoes bounce around... that is to say, when something is running on the roof (like a raccoon/squirrel) it's really difficult to pinpoint it's actual location. And of course a house makes sounds that mimic other sounds, so settling and house functions can sound like footfalls.

Just saying, you know what you heard, but it's really difficult to make any conclusions beyond what you heard. If you must, I'd suggest Occam's razor: the simplest solution tends to be the right one. You looked and didn't see anything with little feet, so the sound was unidentified. The next most logical, simplest solution would be animal running on the roof, branch tapping, or a house structure or function sound that sounded similar to little feet running. House sounds are something you've actually verified experientially, whereas ghost footsteps are not. You probably know when we perceive something, our brains are quick to fill in the blanks.

Incidentally, bathrooms are a place people often hear music or voices, which I assume is particular to the bathroom exhaust structures, also the small room and a higher likelihood of bare walls, and no less our stricter attention to sounds.

Still, life after death is a fantastic study. There are actual published experiments in this and related fields. Coming to a conclusion, or not, on the house sounds need not tilt your conclusions on the afterlife. = )
Yeah I guess it is very possible that I may have heard an animal running on the roof or something to that effect, but to be clear the xylophone music I heard wasn't actually in the bathroom it was in that same big hallway where I heard the other noise on my way to the bathroom. But then again maybe somebody in that house had xylophone music set as their ringtone for their cellphone? That is one possibility.

I really wish that ghosts were real, then I would feel a lot better about death. They may or may not be real but I guess we will never really know for sure until we are dead.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 07-04-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah I guess it is very possible that I may have heard an animal running on the roof or something to that effect, but to be clear the xylophone music I heard wasn't actually in the bathroom it was in that same big hallway where I heard the other noise on my way to the bathroom. But then again maybe somebody in that house had xylophone music set as their ringtone for their cellphone? That is one possibility.

I really wish that ghosts were real, then I would feel a lot better about death. They may or may not be real but I guess we will never really know for sure until we are dead.
Maybe you had a premonition of what you were going to hear in the bathroom!

Not being able to scientifically verify, or otherwise know the nature of, the afterlife gives this life a special quality it wouldn't otherwise have.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2018, 02:01 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Maybe you had a premonition of what you were going to hear in the bathroom!

Not being able to scientifically verify, or otherwise know the nature of, the afterlife gives this life a special quality it wouldn't otherwise have.
Yeah but let's be frank a lot of people in this world don't value life, unless it's their own life. That's why in some horror movies humans are the real monsters.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 07-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Bloof's Avatar
Bloof Bloof is offline
Call me. I'm Alive

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Stuck in the 80's..
Posts: 1,111
I have seen something, LP. It was in broad daylight in a neighbourhood in our village. I used to do home daycare and about 15 years ago, I took a group of kids for a walk. They liked to go to this empty lot where some early model, well-cared for trucks were. Anywho, as we were walking by them I was startled by a man standing by one of the trucks. I was about to say hi and he disappeared as suddenly as he had appeared. I didnt want to scare the kids but i thought a creep was scoping us out so i went and had a quick look around and in between the two trucks. Nothing. He was very tall, wore a baseball cap, sunglasses and a green mechanic suit. And his face appeared to be covered in bandages. I'm sure of what i saw and i never saw him again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
I have seen something, LP. It was in broad daylight in a neighbourhood in our village. I used to do home daycare and about 15 years ago, I took a group of kids for a walk. They liked to go to this empty lot where some early model, well-cared for trucks were. Anywho, as we were walking by them I was startled by a man standing by one of the trucks. I was about to say hi and he disappeared as suddenly as he had appeared. I didnt want to scare the kids but i thought a creep was scoping us out so i went and had a quick look around and in between the two trucks. Nothing. He was very tall, wore a baseball cap, sunglasses and a green mechanic suit. And his face appeared to be covered in bandages. I'm sure of what i saw and i never saw him again.
That's interesting!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Bloof's Avatar
Bloof Bloof is offline
Call me. I'm Alive

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Stuck in the 80's..
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
That's interesting!
You know, i often meant to find the history of those trucks (they and their owner are long gone now). The owner at the time was just a collector but i wonder if someone that had owned one had been burnt or disfigured. Anyway, i dont really believe in ghosts but i saw something.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:48 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Moon
Posts: 629
I've had moments where I thought I would see a person but then I glance away for a second and they weren't there. I'm not sure if that is really ghosts or just our minds playing tricks on us. I think everybody has moments where they think they see someone or something out the corner of their eye that isn't really there. But who knows? Maybe sometimes it is an actual spirit we see during those moments.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,421
I remember listening to Actor Dan Aykroyd emphatically tell a story of seeing men and a black sedan, he looked away, looked back a second later and they all had disappeared. Actually, here's a click, he starts talking about it at the 2:00 mark.


__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:30 PM.