Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Hellraiser

Poltergeist (2015)

I didn't see a thread, so I figured I'd start one. If I missed one, I apologize.

I come into this film in the minority: I didn't like the original Poltergeist. I thought that, even though many of the sequences were good on their own, the pacing was terrible, with the story basically existing to justify one special effects sequence after another. I think the remake did a fairly good job of streamlining the story. The special effects weren't great, but they did their job.

It also bucked a recent trend that's been annoying the hell out of me in horror films: It gave us characters who were relatively happy and functional. Alot of recent horror films have given us downplayed, melancholic performances, that make it seem as if horror only happens to the chronically depressed.

All this said, though, an interesting thought: This is still probably the second worst wide theatrical horror film of 2015 to date (second to The Lazarus Effect)...however, if it had been released in 2014 it would have been the second best (to Oculus). The bar has been raised these last few months, and I'm thrilled because of it.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Indie Games & Horror

I never saw the original Poltergeist. I'm aware of its legacy, I should probably change that.

I'm really excited to go see this one, I just don't like going to the movies alone; gotta wait for someone to be available.

The special effects don't look top-notch exactly, but they look like they do their job at least. I like how the clown acts in the trailer, but I think it's a little silly how the advertising campaign has become about the clown doll.

Also: second-best of 2014? You didn't like As Above So Below?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe @ AltInn Games View Post
I never saw the original Poltergeist. I'm aware of its legacy, I should probably change that.

I'm really excited to go see this one, I just don't like going to the movies alone; gotta wait for someone to be available.

The special effects don't look top-notch exactly, but they look like they do their job at least. I like how the clown acts in the trailer, but I think it's a little silly how the advertising campaign has become about the clown doll.

Also: second-best of 2014? You didn't like As Above So Below?
I still need to see As Above So Below, it's the only one that I missed.

And I thinkt he trailers wanted to avoid alot of the CGI, which was far from great. On the other hand, you could argue that ghosts just look like CGI. lol
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Indie Games & Horror

I thought it was good. But it was one of the first horror movies I really watched that had great production value, maybe it isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

There are a few things about it that aren't 100% but to say them would be a spoiler I think. But overall I liked it a lot.

And, the CGI effect of the little girl being snatched up the staircase looks kinda bad.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Evil Dead

Who want spoliers? I see movie today and have all knowledge.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Evil Dead

if they had left speilberg out of the original and stopped all the family friendly bullshit ruining every other scene it would have being passable instead of the dogs inner passage of a movie that is is/was
Old 05-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Evil Dead

I thought it was a surprisingly pretty decent remake. Not as good as the first two films but probably better than the third (which I don't even dislike like others do). Not the worst remake of a Horror classic, that's for sure.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Now she has us.

I quite liked it... everyone will say the original is best and it is, this remake was rather good though.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Evil Dead

I found it to be rather dull......

Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Send....More...Paramedics

Send a message via Yahoo to ZombiLuv
The acting was terrible and not in a good way. The kids in the original were 100times better and the parents were as well. The original has more depth and makes you care about the characters but this remake makes me hope they get sucked into that place and they NEVER return!!!

Tags
poltergeist