View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
The Avengers (2012)
Look, as a guy that's read the comic on and off for years and even went through a back-log of a lot of issues that were released before I was even born...It was hard not to find jusssst a few things that I'd have liked done differently.

What you got though was an iteration of the "origin" tale set in the present day, actually more closely resembling the "Ultimate" Marvel universe, with something of an amalgamation between that and the standard Marvel U for storyline.

You got (most of) the original founding members with a couple of absentees replaced by hm, "fairly" early origin characters that have been touched on in a couple of Marvels related films that have lead up to this one.

You got some fucking GREAT fight scenes.

Thor and Loki IMO were handled better in this film than their standalone - Tom Hiddleston actually outdid his previous performance as Loki.

You got a GOOD solid action film, and you got the one in-house fight that most fanboys really wanted to see.

The villain/s were maybe not the one/s I'd have ideally chosen (Hoping to see Kang the Conqueror in future) but they served the storyline well.

You got one "Mannnnn - thats BULLSHIT" moment.

You got pretty Whedon-esque pop culture references, and pretty snapy dialogue all around really.

You got "ragdoll". You'll see.

It was pretty action packed, and yes in "group" fight scenes they handled the team thing pretty well. Everyone gets fairly fair coverage/time.

You get HULK...kicking fucking ass better than either of the current standalone films. ANGRY hulk. The Ruffalo guy didn't do a bad job, though I preferred Norton.

Hm...it wasn't as epic as it could have been, but I'm sure that's at least partially my comic fan mentality.
They did pretty well.
I have to give it at least 7/10. Maybe 8.

I expected about a 5.

...and yes, as per most of Marvels films these days, there's a scene at the end of the first set of credits.
Thanks for the well thought out review. I will see this once all the frenzy dies down and it's not playing to packed houses.