View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 02:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Can't say I blame You since it is Alison Hayes.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Know I have discussed this before, but still enjoy FMTW. The great atmosphere during the titles and the opening scene in the graveyard, one of the scariest parts in any Universal. Good cast (Lionel Atwill, Dwight Frye, Illona Massey, Patrick Knowles and Maria Ouspenskaya) and good performance by Lon Chaney Jr, although his outburst during the song is more funny than anything else.

The biggest thorn in here is casting Bela Lugosi as The Monster, although from a logical (not in common practice for Universal) point of view, it makes perfect sense as Ygor's brain (played by Lugosi) is transplanted into the Monster's skull in GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN. Sadly the blood types don't match and the Monster becomes blind, which would explain the Monster's stumbling walk with his arms held in front...poor guy is trying not to fall! But truth be told, Bela does look sort of frail here , for He was in his early 60's and not the best of health (although the look of malevolence on his face as his sight is returned is a grand moment for Him) and apparently, the Monster talking in Bela's voice brought more chuckles and the dialogue was removed. So with his lips moving soundlessly compiled with a less impressive physical appearance, it's not one of Lugosi's finer moments.

Before watching again, was looking through an old Monster magazine with an article on FMTW and the author suggested it might have been a better film if Glenn Strange had been tapped to play the Monster with Bela's voice. Obviously, Glenn was an impressive Monster in the HOUSE films (although He just lays there until the last reel) and his physical presence would have been a better pick. The author also suggests it also may have helped to have Ygor's ghost popping up throughout to move the story; eg why does Dr Mannering decide at the last minute to change his course of action.

Of course, all this is idle musing and We have to be happy with what We have, So, despite some oof the stellar points of the film, I still enjoy it very much and would still give it ***1/2
Ah, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man! I had looked forward to watching that film all through my youth. Never seemed to show on TV (along with Bride and Son of Frankenstein).

As a kid I was hoping for Frankenstein Vs the Wolf Man. After seeing it, the title of the film was apt... they do meet. They (the monster and Wolf Man) might as well have sat down for a cup of coffee. At the time of first viewing, it felt like a rip-off.

A much later second viewing was much more enjoyable. It's a weird and interesting story. And although the Larry Talbot character acts bizarre, and sometimes annoying, he's as earnest as always. And it has good sets and cinematography.

I like the idea of Ygor's ghost popping up would have been a nice addition, would help explain the bizarre behavior. Glenn Strange should definitely have played the monster. The film has one of the best songs in horror film history (Song of the New Wine). I think they should have had Maleva (Maria Ouspenskaya) play a much larger role throughout.